Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunting with a kayak (Read 1977 times)
cb14
Forum Font

Hunting with a kayak
Feb 20th, 2021 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I'm planning to buy a sea kayak (Delta 17) and thinking I'll use it for some hunting adventures.  Has anyone done this?

The areas I have been considering are Whanganui River, Stewart Island, Fiordland and Clarence River.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Hunting with a kayak
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
clarence would be a blast

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Those longish sea kayaks can be a real handful in white water. Don't ask how I know Wink

Yes, plenty of room for stowing gear etc.

Great for exploring coastlines

Fiberglass/kevlar ones are infinitely slippery-er through the water than plastic, but plastic can take the hits.

If things go really pear shaped in a rapid, a plastic boat will wrap around you and drown you. A fiberglass boat will shatter and you'll be outside the boat before you can say bugger!

Given the skills, they can be an awesome way to explore new territory.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
there have been quite a number of stories/articles over the years of guys doing it....recently stewart island trip was in one of the 2 major magazines...

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 11:22am:
Those longish sea kayaks can be a real handful in white water. Don't ask how I know Wink

Yes, plenty of room for stowing gear etc.

Great for exploring coastlines

Fiberglass/kevlar ones are infinitely slippery-er through the water than plastic, but plastic can take the hits.

If things go really pear shaped in a rapid, a plastic boat will wrap around you and drown you. A fiberglass boat will shatter and you'll be outside the boat before you can say bugger!

Given the skills, they can be an awesome way to explore new territory.

I'm looking at a Delta 17 Performance Tourer.  Planning on doing the coast to coast and should also be good for a few hunting and fishing adventures too I hope. Its made of thermoplastic materials apparently.

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 7:22pm:
there have been quite a number of stories/articles over the years of guys doing it....recently stewart island trip was in one of the 2 major magazines...

Thanks I'll check them out.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
CB,
I wanted to do the same thing, and chose between a kayak and a canoe...simply because I already knew how to paddle a canoe, and in one of those you can carry about a ton of gear, same as a car.
So I chose a kevlar Canadian canoe for a hunting trip, and so far have paddled it to the Glaisnock river in Te Anau, and all round Manapouri, as well as some river stuff. And I can take as much food as I like, and a cast iron camp oven.
You cant beat a canoe, they are much more seaworthy than people think, and paddling is effortless, even all day. Paddling with a doublebladed kayak paddle tires me out because you have to hold the paddle up all the time with your arms.
Anyway, either kayak or canoe, its a brilliant concept. I have had the best trip for years with the boat.
And either kayak or canoe, you move silently. I was hearing stags roaring that other people never do because they shut up for motorboats. (Boat hunters will tell you they don't, but I can say they are massively wrong.)
I tried a packraft first - still a good idea for rivers, but you end up sitting in two inches of water all day. And there is a real limit to what you can carry. Not sure what I would do if I shot a 12 pointer and had a packraft...

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Plenty of deer shot on Lake Waikaremoana from kayaks over the years - deer donít seem to pick any danger inkayaks until ĎBangí then itís too late.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences Carlsen Highway.† I'm looking at a kayak to use on the coast to coast (assuming i get an entry on Monday!), but a canoe does sound great.† I've spent some time up the Glaisnock and would love to get into that area on the water. Might make plans for the 2022.† †

Lake Waikaremoana sounds great to Radar.† Will try Whanganui River first and then look at Waikaremoana.

Cheers guys.

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  

I just bought a 16 foot 'sit on' sea kayak to get around on our 40 sq km lake - they don't sink.
They also don't go fast, and certainly not in any sort of headwind - I've actually gone backwards.
You can fit some gear in - a lot of room in that hull.

But - my old next door neighbour was a Canadian and he bought a bloody big canoe - and he'd hop in that, kneel down and he made that thing go.
Told me he'd been moose hunting every season since a kid, and that's how they travelled the waterways.
He said they were like a big sail in the wind and they got bullied a bit, but he had no problem paddling 12 kms to the other side for a hunt - then back home again.
He also said you can sleep under them if you tip them upside down - can't do that with a kayak.

I thought about one of them with a little outboard strapped to the back, but I've been in troughs so deep out on that lake I couldn't see the hilltops - so opted for unsinkable.

The thing with a lake there is always somewhere to scuttle to if it starts to pile up out there - have had to do that in my 14 ft tinnie boat when I've been caught in the rough.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
in my canadian i tied up n rowed 156 sheep over a river as they lacked swimming ability,,took about two or three days Grin

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
LOL

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
...And you wonder why they call us sheep shaggers Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Hoonaway

Going off like an old
pork chop in the sun

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Bit of a coincidence- I'd been thinking about this for a while and searching for info unsuccessfully. Finally got around to trying it a couple of weeks ago and was on the first kayak hunting night when you posted this.

Went for a couple of nights in the Marlborough Sounds in a sit-on-top fishing kayak, which has a heap of space inside. Went with the theory that I could afford to pack all the luxuries that normally get left behind, but the extra weight made the kayak handle pretty badly- I wouldn't have wanted to have it loaded up that much anywhere less sheltered than the Sounds.

My main concern was salt water + rifle = bad results. I did find rifle-sized dry bags you can get overseas. However, I just went for wrapping it up in a couple of rubbish bags and putting it in the front hold. I've since bought a cheap single-shot, and am planning on getting some 6inch drainage pipe and putting a cap on one end and a screw cap on the other, so I can keep the rifle a bit closer to hand.

All in all though it was an awesome way to get into some new spots and will definitely be doing it again.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I have wondered how a sit on top would go...

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I duck hunt from a home made glass over ply Canadian canoe ( not by me a boat builder made It for his kids who lost interest)and was surprised by the amount of gear I can carry and how stable it is,50 decoys,opening morning bag and 35kg dog along with myself ,95kg of pure muscle and I. Can still paddle the 700m to the maimai faster than my mate in his dinghy with outboard due to all the stumps and crap where we shoot,bought a 12ft parkercraft with outboard last year and just didnít feel right,selling it this year and going back to the canoe.

IP Logged

Countryside
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2021 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Have thought about doing this myself,never got around to giving it a crack tho

IP Logged

mango
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2021 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Yip have used my kayak a Viking gt a bit for hunting. A short paddle can equal a massive walk in some places. Good fun. The gt isnít as long as the other Viking models.bit shorter and stabler but slower to paddle. Used it this weekend retrieving decoys. Good bit of kit

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards