Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newbie (Read 1028 times)
hunt_harvest_nz
Forum Font

Jun 13th, 2013 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Right, after only starting fly fishing last Sept, I'm well and truly hooked and wanna start tying me own flies, so what do I need fellas?
Is it best to get a beginners type full tool kit or buy better quality stuff individually?
Prob got bout 300 spare at the mo to get me started.
I'm a nympher and will start out with hare and coppers, and pheasant tails and move on from there I reckon.
Anyways thought I'd ask here first before going into shops as they always just wanna sell their slow moving or crap stock to newbies, if u know what I mean. Wink
Cheers
P

Make it happen!

IP Logged

remmodel7
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
the cheap kits aren't to bad to start with. as with anything you get what you pay for. that's wat I started with and it has tied thousands of flies but the jaws on the vice have worn out so need to replace the vice. all other part and accessories are still sweet

IP Logged

Broadleaf

Go Hard Bro

Re: Newbie
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 2:52am
Print Post  
hunt_harvest_nz wrote on Jun 13th, 2013 at 10:37pm:
Right, after only starting fly fishing last Sept, I'm well and truly hooked and wanna start tying me own flies, so what do I need fellas?
Is it best to get a beginners type full tool kit or buy better quality stuff individually?
Prob got bout 300 spare at the mo to get me started.
I'm a nympher and will start out with hare and coppers, and pheasant tails and move on from there I reckon.
Anyways thought I'd ask here first before going into shops as they always just wanna sell their slow moving or crap stock to newbies, if u know what I mean. Wink
Cheers
P

Mate I'm a beginner too and it's awesome aye. Seeing as you're in the north shore give rod and reel a visit. They are great over there. As to be taken with a grain of salt here is my advice.

I brought a POS fly tying kit that cost me $150 and its $70 now. It has everything in it that is required and it's great. If you buy it, then you should learn to tie flies using the different tools. Youtube is a great tool. But yeah, i think talking to the boys at rod and reel is the best idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards