Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic kit of parts (Read 2339 times)
elrond
Donor Member

aka Thrombosis - i'm a
dangerous clot

kit of parts
Mar 7th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Gidday all.

I've been tying for a wee while now, following some donations of bits and not a little good advice from folks on the forum. You know who you are and I am eternally grateful for your help ( not sure the domestic finance manager is though).

I now think i'm knocking out reasonably good examples of the basic flies. and wan tto ramp up to doing some fancy stuff.

so, the million dollar question. what materials, etc should I be starting to purchase to be able to tie anything I might need for Lower South Island waters.
i know its a biggie, but I thought if I started with a list it would give me something to work with. That, and I'm heading back to the UK for a while soon and thought I might be able to get the more expensive items a bit cheaper there (capes, etc).
grateful for your thoughts.

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: kit of parts
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
elrond wrote on Mar 7th, 2013 at 3:24pm:
Gidday all.

I've been tying for a wee while now, following some donations of bits and not a little good advice from folks on the forum. You know who you are and I am eternally grateful for your help ( not sure the domestic finance manager is though).

I now think i'm knocking out reasonably good examples of the basic flies. and wan tto ramp up to doing some fancy stuff.

so, the million dollar question. what materials, etc should I be starting to purchase to be able to tie anything I might need for Lower South Island waters.
i know its a biggie, but I thought if I started with a list it would give me something to work with. That, and I'm heading back to the UK for a while soon and thought I might be able to get the more expensive items a bit cheaper there (capes, etc).
grateful for your thoughts.

I would check with MAF about what you can bring back, they might not like feathers and skins etc. Could be wrong.

IP Logged

elrond
Donor Member

aka Thrombosis - i'm a
dangerous clot

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
yup spoke with Maf.
fur ok if dyed.
feathers need to be free of muscle, fat or sinew, otherwise will need treated.

He did say it depends on the inspector what will be acceptable. reckons if I get a snooty little jobs worth (his words, not mine), but if I bring back enough to justify the treatment costs (about $60) if they happen should be sweet.

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
elrond wrote on Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:02pm:
yup spoke with Maf.
fur ok if dyed.
feathers need to be free of muscle, fat or sinew, otherwise will need treated.

He did say it depends on the inspector what will be acceptable. reckons if I get a snooty little jobs worth (his words, not mine), but if I bring back enough to justify the treatment costs (about $60) if they happen should be sweet.

Yeah being English I've been that route a few times, MAF are very irregular. One time they cleaned my tent and other gear for free, another time some jumped up dickhead argued that I had been hiking in my trainers (had been in a city the whole time and any idiot could tell they weren't hiking boots)

My Uncle ties flies (UK based) and rates the Glasgow Angling shop have you seen it?
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-tying-materials_525.html

I wonder if it would be cost-effective importing stuff from them?

IP Logged

elrond
Donor Member

aka Thrombosis - i'm a
dangerous clot

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
got a mate who works there, hence my thinking to get the stuff when I'm home.

I had a look on their website and the choice is bamboozling for a beginner
what necks, what capes, etc would i need?

IP Logged

gonebush
Donor Member

7mm REM MAG forever

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
use to import feathers and capes out of Hong Kong and always banked on getting the shipment treated cause like you were told depends on who you strike and didn't need delays

There are Hunters and fishermen and the rest of you SAD Bastards!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards