Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic War on Fleas (Read 4739 times)
ethos
Ex Member

Re: War on Fleas
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Down our end of the country we have a cold enough winter to kill off a lot or all flea larvae living outside so we dont get issues with fleas any where near as bad as our northern brethren as 90% plus of fleas are in the environment, rather than on the dog at any one time.

My advice for us southerners Josh is if there is no issue, dont treat. Consider treating new dogs before arrival- and if you notice a problem with your dogs treat accordingly.
If you are often running your dogs with others, consider treating as well.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:02am
Print Post  
+1 for Ripcord but be careful and keep your dogs away from contact until its dried...say 24hrs. My bitch got really crook after coming into contact with it.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
yes, thanks for the helpful advice ethos. i look in here often and you have provided me with good general knowledge on the subjects discussed here Cool
we use the premoxin stuff on the wife's horse for ticks. the ticks are pretty bad this year but it does give pretty good control considering the horse is walking/feeding in long summer grass all day.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Cheers chris.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
just to add, we have tried the new comfortus tabs and have found them to be very effective.

downside, very expensive and only good for a month.
as part of a flea control programme they are great for this time of the year.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Comfortis is a very good flea product, used it a bit in Aussie.
One thing I recall is that it is toxic in combination with ivermectin - so if a dog is receiving ivomec or dectomax  for mange treatment for example then choose a different flea product.
Otherwise a great product like you say Kawhia.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
if you want to be all organic/old fashioned...well the saying have a kennel plant some fennel...does have merit in my experience...a rub all over the dog with a handful of the liquorish smelling vegetation seems to stop dog scratching/looking for fleas...we havent had an issue in 10 years and 5 houses. one place we rented had heaps when we shifted in but we soon got rid of them. only used bought flea powder once or twice on cat aswell and they seemed to just not be there anymore.
if nothing else a bit of fennel goes well on ya trout in the smoker Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards