Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic LUMP (Read 464 times)
hg
Forum Senior

LUMP
Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Gyday GOE my vizsla has had a lump in his tail for the last few months , he didnt show any signs of hurting it or anything at the time.Its around 3/4 of the way along the tail , he doesnt show any sign of pain or discomfort if you squeeze on it.Hes around 2 years of age.Should i take him to the vet or just ignore it?

regards hayden

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Re: LUMP
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Does the tail kink at all at the lump?
Is the lump in the tail itself or the skin of the tail, soft or hard? Did it gradually grow or was it suddenly there and been the same size since?
Is there red skin where the bump is?

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 8:15am
Print Post  
is he docked ?

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

hg
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
DOesnt seem to kink there , its hard and inside the tail but raised on the outside.It seemed to have just appeared from no where , so id say suddenly there, hasnt changed in size.skin is just as normal where it is.
Yes he is docked.
Its 10cm down the tail from his backside.

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.
in a working dog of this age it could be a callus from rubbing or still might be a "break" (more often a break in the tail is a dislocation) that has healed. of course there are other less likely possibilities like growths etc. (I tend to worry more about growths in this area when the lump is in the skin rather than under it and again, more an issue in older dogs). Infection is also less likely if its not hot and if the size has stayed the same.
A visit to the vet could help elucidate what it is - xrays will show old damage to vertebrae and samples can be sent if the lump looks suspicious for cancer.
If its an old injured tail and hes happy theres no treatment really needed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards