Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Exhaustion, knockout, or what? (Read 2811 times)
Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Exhaustion, knockout, or what?
Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Hi Ethos

up in the hills the other night and the pack got onto a small mob, that we never saw.

2 of my dogs latched onto and quickly killed a small'un, but Zak my main tracked and chased off after what looked like a decent dog going by the mark.

We heard him hit it once at about 800meters, but then he went over a ridge and out of earshot, but we still had him locked on the GPS at 1.4km and stopped in a creek, so all looked good we thought and off we briskly went.

Whilst running to his position i kept looking at the GPS and the whole time he was stopped. Once over the ridge and about 600m away i xpected to hear barking or a scrap going on but nothing. We got as close as we could by track then drpped off the side into a supplejack filled nightmare for the last 300meters.

I went to exactly where it showed the dog was stopped and nothing.....

that was until i heard a low dog groan from the fern and parting ferns found my mate laying on his side, eyes glazed over, alive, but hardly with it.

I turned him over fearing the worse but he was unmarked so began a careful feel over of him from head to tail and again nothing nor any obvious tender spots. We tried to lift him and stand him up but he was complete jelly. I have seen heat stroked and exhausted dogs before but this looked different as there was no tiredness or panting as such, just a dog that looked heavily sedated.

There is no poison in this area that i know of and the day was probably 17 degrees so i dont think it was poison or heat.

We gave him half an hour a the scene and got some water into him but he was still a woozy mess. We carried him back to the leading ridge before dark and he was so coma'd he pissed all over me twice whilst being carried. At the ridge we gave him another hour in the dark, and slowly, very slowly he came right. 2 hours later by 10pm you wouldnt have known anything was wrong and he was his old self.

It seems to me in my opinion that it was a knockout he potentially suffered, as he is one fit dog and that work and the distance is chicken feed for him.

What is your opinion please form the above information, and is there anything else i need to get him checked for that could have caused this. My only surprise about the guessed knockout is i expected to find a tender area when feeling him over

For the record his is a g'hound/cattle/american bull cross about 3 years old.

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Re: Exhaustion, knockout, or what?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Im glad hes feeling better now.

Its a tricky one to know without seeing him, but it could be something like an epileptic fit - a rise in body temperature like when hunting hard can sometimes trigger a "fit".
Hes in about the right age group - it usually comes to the surface in dogs of about this age (young adult), if its going to.
To make the diagnosis of epilepsy, youve pretty much got to rule out out everything else as theres no single test for it.
Usually id do a blood test to check its not a weird liver or hormonal problem or something unexpected like hypoglycaemia (usually he would have been crook for a while if that was the case to be fair).

If it is epilepsy: some dogs have a single fit and no other issues again. Some dogs may have occasional fits of a few minutes duration which arent a big deal.
Some animals have multiple fits in a day or several in a week and need medication - the medication sedates and this wouldnt be conducive to hunting.
Just as with people, activity (temperature rise), loud noises, lots of visual stimulation can sometimes trigger an episode.

A true epileptic fit has 3 phases, the dog usually behaves a bit "off" before hand, might wander about a bit or sniff or whine, then the true fit phase where they might go over, paddle, salivate or urinate, then the end phase when they are often woozey afterwards.

Watch him closely to see if similar happens again and if you can pick the phases. If in doubt, getting a blood test might help rule out some other stuff.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
My first thought too Aunty. Had two epileptic dogs now and that sounds very familiar..

Because we were often a very long way fom anywhere, bloody cold , and didnt fancy dragging a dog out half concious, I used to carry a vial of Valium at all times and found that an IM injection, would bring her back to almost normal, within minutes.

An IV would bring it out of a fit within 30 seconds, but thats a big ask out in the bush.

GOE might not approve as a professional, but there are situations where extreme measures are the best option.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
cheers guys

theres been no sign of it at all previously ( not that i have seen anyway ) but i will certainly watch for this now

fingers crossed its not

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:10pm:
My first thought too Aunty. Had two epileptic dogs now and that sounds very familiar..

Because we were often a very long way fom anywhere, bloody cold , and didnt fancy dragging a dog out half concious, I used to carry a vial of Valium at all times and found that an IM injection, would bring her back to almost normal, within minutes.

An IV would bring it out of a fit within 30 seconds, but thats a big ask out in the bush.

GOE might not approve as a professional, but there are situations where extreme measures are the best option.

Its not unheard of for the vet to dispense small quantities of medication in case of emergency.
Valium is very handy for helping to control moderate siezures. Its one of the first drugs of choice in clinic for acute epileptic siezures given IV.
You can give the liquid form per rectum ( Shocked ) and it saves messing around with needles although takes a few minutes longer to kick in.

Even if it is Epilepsy Aunty, it wont necessarily happen often or even again, and only a small minority of dogs require medication.

edit: oops might have missed the last bit HC.
I think its understandable to consider "extreme measures" if a condition turned out to compromise the animals purpose. Im no believer in keeping animals alive with no quality of life.
That said, we dont know the dog definately has epilepsy, and we dont know severity.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 6:33am
Print Post  
hey aunty, just a thought, remember when you were up and we got a run the second morning, one of your dogs was just stopped for ages, you went back and looked and after quite a while it came back, was that zak?

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:34am
Print Post  
yeah mate, but MEB and I heard barks and the odd hit that day and the download later showed a big tussle at that spot, so he wasn't treed the whole time mate

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:56am
Print Post  
This could be completely out of left field, but is there any Ongaonga (tree nettle) in where you hunt Aunty?  A mate of mine had one of his bitches go through that shit while trying to stop a young boar. It knocked the bitch for six, it apparently took her a couple of days to come right.  

Just a thought.  Glad Zaks come right.  

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:34am:
yeah mate, but MEB and I heard barks and the odd hit that day and the download later showed a big tussle at that spot, so he wasn't treed the whole time mate

yep i heard the bail to, just thought he might have floped over or something. ragingbulls idea has merit i rekon????

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:59am
Print Post  
got blood results back

i forget the vets exact terminology, but basically showed that the liver had suffered a minor tweake as a reult of raised liver enzymes and a slighly disproportionate red cell count, most likely as a result of interrupted or inconsistent bloodflow which my vet believes was likely result of exhaustion/over exertion. there was no other infection or anything else that bloods revealed

ethos, your thoughts please on this if you hav a mo mate

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Cowboy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
sounds very similar to what happened to  a monteria of mine. We caught a young boar and she didn't follow when we left. had to walk back up and she was just lying on her side. looked buggered. gums had lost colour. didn't look good. carried her a fair way home. then force fed her some sweet drink and she perked up and walked the rest of the way. took her to the vet with the inevitable blood test and money making schemes. came back with a similar line to yours. Don't think he knew, just needed something to cover for the expense. I had always noticed she didn't drink while hunting, no matter how good the water and always wondered if this was the cause.
carried a carbo shot drink thing after that.

grey brindle on the right.

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Cowboy wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:48am:
sounds very similar to what happened to  a monteria of mine. We caught a young boar and she didn't follow when we left. had to walk back up and she was just lying on her side. looked buggered. gums had lost colour. didn't look good. carried her a fair way home. then force fed her some sweet drink and she perked up and walked the rest of the way. took her to the vet with the inevitable blood test and money making schemes. came back with a similar line to yours. Don't think he knew, just needed something to cover for the expense. I had always noticed she didn't drink while hunting, no matter how good the water and always wondered if this was the cause.

funny you say that bro, re the drinking thing, cause i am always amazed at how little zak drinks on the hill, atually how much he drinks full stop. When all the other dogs are drinking a in a creek or laying in a creek, he's off hunting again.....

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Try putting the evening or morning food in the drinking bowl before you go up the hill. Sought of a soup, or a dash of milk in the drinking water.  That usually gets em to take on water and hydrated

You may not even bother with feeding bowls if your out and about I guess , but an empty ice cream container is light to carry and can be put into a back pack and filled with other bits and pieces.

Mine doesnt drink when we are up in the snow either, but at altitude they dehydrate quicker.  I have to force feed her water using the methods above.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Cowboy wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 8:48am:
sounds very similar to what happened to  a monteria of mine. We caught a young boar and she didn't follow when we left. had to walk back up and she was just lying on her side. looked buggered. gums had lost colour. didn't look good. carried her a fair way home. then force fed her some sweet drink and she perked up and walked the rest of the way. took her to the vet with the inevitable blood test and money making schemes. came back with a similar line to yours. Don't think he knew, just needed something to cover for the expense. I had always noticed she didn't drink while hunting, no matter how good the water and always wondered if this was the cause.

You are being tongue in cheek I hope Cowboy, read the above post on why tests are done, there is no single test for epilepsy.
If done close to the time of incident the blood test should also pick up signs of dehydration.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Wasn't a chance he got knocked out at all??

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards