Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dermotec (Read 2159 times)
DukShooter
Forum Font

Dermotec
Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:27am
Print Post  
What do you know about the treatment of the dermotec mite, My 8 month old bitch has it At the moment am feeding her the Purina Ppro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach food which seemed to be holding it back for awhile but now is having further hair loss

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Re: Dermotec
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Ive had a fair bit of experience dreating demodex in dogs - I should be able to give you a decent spiel on it tomorrow  Wink

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Ok my experience of Demodex in dogs:
Demodex mites are a normal inhabitant of dog skin, most dogs dont have issues though. Demodex mites live around hair follicles.
Some dogs have problems- if mite numbers get too high, skin becomes irritated and hairs fall out - there are two schools of thought as to why.

One school of thought is that there are some "strains" of mite that breed to quickly, the other school of thought is that the immune system of some dogs does not naturally control mite numbers well enough. Either way, demodex is considerd at least partly heritable. pups naturally acquire their own mites from mum in the first few weeks after birth.
There is another factor also which is not talked about as often but has a huge effect - climate. Mites are more of a problem in a more humid climate. Ive spent some years in the tropics where demodex issues  are very common, compared to NZ especially the south island where it is a lot less so. Some dogs brought from a cold climate to a humid one may have a mite problem where they didnt before. Humidity allows bugs to breed more rapidly.

Demodecosis is best diagnosed by skin scraping, rare cases may need a biopsy to find the mites if they are deep. Demodectic mange is not usually very itchy although the skin is often reddened.

Treatment
In my experience, shampoos and washes are the least effective treatments. By far the most successful treatments I have used are dosing with ivermectin or doramectin orally or by injection. This type of treatment is off label though - these are pig and cattle products and care is needed as well as a different dose -both you and the vet will need to be comfortable about doing so.  Do not use pour on products.
Border collies and related breeds may be poisoned this way. A blood test is available to see if a dog might be at risk. Most dogs tolerate treatment very well.
My best success has been with weekly injection of doramectin for 8 weeks.

Generally speaking the younger the dog the better the chance of clearing the mites, most dogs (maybe 80% +) dont relapse, but some do. If stressed or when coming on heat some dogs may relapse (its related to stress and the immune system in the skin).

Adult dogs with demodex are harder to cure than pups.
It is recommended not to breed from affected dogs.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I had a lab pup that had this and i think i can remember my vet at the time said that with her first heat the problem might disappear and it did. We used to bath the dog in a shampoo which as the ghost said wasnt that effective. Good luck with it.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Many thanks for that, will be of to my vet to try and convince her

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
How is you dog going duckshutr? Any updates for us?

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Ethos, Sorry for lack of news. Sam has been on Ivomec for almost 2 months now with no more hair loss. There seems signs on new growth but nothing outstanding so it's fingers crossed at the moment but things are looking up Smiley except for my bank balance Sad

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2010 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Im glad it seems to be settling - cheers for the update  Smiley
It can take a while for hair to grow back, ill cross my fingers for a good result for Sam as well.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Thanks Ethos, sam has just had her first heat, so now am saving to get her spayed as soon as i can. Vet wants $450 to do the surgery

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Id better not comment on someone elses pricing because I dont know the details -on heat or pregnant speys can be a bit trickier and hence cost that bit more. It all adds up dosnt it.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
All the hair has grown back and Sam is now of medication, a totally different dog(will put some pics up soon) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Still trying to save for speying costs Cry Cry

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Don if the figure quoted for speying is just a straight spey then its a wee rich. Dont get me wrong, its not daylight robbery, but if its just for a spey its at the upper half of the pricing bracket

Simply due to volume of work my neighbourhood/work from home vet charges me around $250 -$350 with meds

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 9:10am
Print Post  
That is the cost of a straight spey, after all the work the vet put into Sam i sort of feel obligated to get her to do the job. It is Cash up front and cant pay the bill of:(

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Its good news about the mites, good on you for your loyalty, as long as you are comfortable. Aunty is right about the more common pricings for a spey but like I said there can be reasons for charging differently, its not really my place to point the finger.
Thanks for updating us.  Smiley

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
if thats $450 WITHOUT meds then your bill will be over $500, thats Remuera toy dog prices mate. Ring around and compare, loyalty is a 2 way street

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards