Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) STEWART ISLAND whose been there (Read 93756 times)
Pawprints

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Reply #60 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I hunted there for the first time last March,,Freds camp,great hut but had to share with a few trampers most nights.
saw plenty of whitetail and one Red hind,the Red came as a bit of a supprise.
The Fishing was good,plenty of Paua,kinas the size of big things,black musells everywhere,plus enough green lips to feed an army if you dived for them.
Reasonable sized Blue cod were very easy to catch.
Heaps of cuda,about 50 dolphins came in an out with the tide everyday.
We also had guys in South west arm hut,another good hut but not as big as Freds.
More a hunters hut rather than trampers.
Compeared to Sika,,,whitetail are not very bright.
Want to move there for good,best place on earth,,,after Auckland that is Tongue

IP Logged

AzDog

I Love Animals, They Taste
Great.

Reply #61 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Pawprints wrote on Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:54pm:
I hunted there for the first time last March,,Freds camp,great hut but had to share with a few trampers most nights.
saw plenty of whitetail and one Red hind,the Red came as a bit of a supprise.
The Fishing was good,plenty of Paua,kinas the size of big things,black musells everywhere,plus enough green lips to feed an army if you dived for them.
Reasonable sized Blue cod were very easy to catch.
Heaps of cuda,about 50 dolphins came in an out with the tide everyday.
We also had guys in South west arm hut,another good hut but not as big as Freds.
More a hunters hut rather than trampers.
Compeared to Sika,,,whitetail are not very bright.
Want to move there for good,best place on earth,,,after Auckland that is Tongue

Ha Ha,crack up,funniest thing I've heard all week Grin

save a mouse,eat a pussy

IP Logged

Jaffa300WSM

Reply #62 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Right or wrong we (father and two brothers) have booked Abrahams bay at the end of April.

Will be a bloody good trip regardless but it would be nice to get one or two.

Any info on what this block will be like at that time of year would be appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #63 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Abrahams will be pretty worked over by the end of April.Most of those close blocks get back to back hunting parties in them.
My suggestion is to hunt the Coast fringes especially the Rata creek further round to the east of where your in the hut.Also check out the broadleaf areas.These whitetail love the stuff and will wander between the broadleafs looking for windfall leaves.Find these areas and clear a sneak track into them and sit down wind and wait them out 2hrs each from dawn and dusk.
You wont find many deer way back or up high.
Watch the beaches at low tides with binos as they love to get out for a run and use the beaches for getting from A to B. The block is nice and easy going except for the supplejack thickets and crownfern everywhere with a 6 bunk hunter hut and potbelly stove and running water.Take/hire a dinghy and use it to gain easier access to the ends of your block and of course for the bluecod.
Have a great trip.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Jaffa300WSM

Reply #64 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info .308!

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #65 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
For those wanting to use Rakiura Maori Land Blocks.  Nicola has been appointed to look after permits, she will respond to queries, she lives and works at Halfmoon Bay.   Contact details on their website:    http://www.huntrakiura.co.nz/

IP Logged

Far Canal

I Love The Fish

Reply #66 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
In the process of organising a trip to the Rollers block for the 2012 rut Cheesy  Cheesy Cheesy
Any info on this block would be appreciated. I havn't talked to the charter boat guys yet but does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost?

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #67 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Rollers block.
Hunt the Garden point area of this block, theres always a good buck or two hanging out there.Youll have to fly camp to hunt it effectivly.Sit back and watch the ferny clearings with binos.Try not to walk through the area two early putting your scent everywhere.
Youve got the main Nor west circuit track running above the coast right through your block.With Christmas village hut at the end of the block.
Seen a few deer around the nor west end of the beach also.But anywhere along the coastal fringe and inland but not to high up the hills.
This block as alot of other coastal ones gets hammered at times by the weather and sea.Can be hard at times to  get ashore or go for a fish.
Ian Wilson runs a water taxi up the shore at times give him a ring for a price.ph 032191394.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Far Canal

I Love The Fish

Reply #68 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Awesome thanks for the info. I thought that Garden point looked quite nice on google earth.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #69 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Just back from CT Bay. Interested in hearing from anyone who has been on, or attempted to book, an RMLT block lately. To cut a loooooooong story short I rocked up to the Bluff ferry to find no ferry booking for us, no block booked, no boat booked Angry Angry

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #70 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 11:23am
Print Post  
A lot of the campsite information on Blocks on the Island in this thread are out of date. For the latest info see:

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1276739825

IP Logged

shadow
Donor Member

mad on hunting

Reply #71 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Abrahams Bay
there is a good warm 6 bunk hunters hut on the block
take coal and kindling with you
rain water tanks to the rear of the hut
large mud flats in front of hut at low tide and plenty of deer sign to the far west of the bay and to the east stag scrapes etc are found high in the block
large flatish area at the back of the bay for the older who want to hunt but dont want the hills hind and fawn sign only in this area

plenty of blue cod to the west of the bay entrance but be carefull
we hooked a very large 7 gill shark that also likes eating colapsable craypots
take a long rope with you and make an anchor with a sack full of rocks and keep the dinghy floating during the day move rock in and out with the tide as required

Have a great time Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #72 - May 20th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
shadow wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 6:22pm:
Atake a long rope with you and make an anchor with a sack full of rocks and keep the dinghy floating during the day move rock in and out with the tide as required
Have a great time Wink Wink Wink

Seems to lot of effort when there is a good mooring (weighted car tyre) about 200 metres north along the beach.  Take a long rope to set up a pully.

IP Logged

SHNHUNTA
Just Joined

Reply #73 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
trying to plan a trip and wanting to know what blocks have good handy diving/fishing aswell most of the crew are new hunters but we can all dive and spear flounder
lol any info will be awesome thanx

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #74 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Most of the blocks around the northern/ne and eastern coasts are well suited for diving and fishing., provding the weather suits. Generally easier access to the sea. Also have easier access for drop off by ferry/boat and are fairly sheltered for use of your own smaller boats, ie rubber ducks/tinnys etc. Try and book one with natural shelter from open sea, but not too far inland, say in the coastal Patersons blocks. South of Breaksea, open sea can be very big, swell usually doubles in size once you head south past Breaksea. The tides can be a pain in the arse in the heads of any of the inlets, and its a fair way to clear water diving in some cases. The Glory blocks, Freds Camp, Tikatotahi/kellys/bosom blocks, Maori beach, Bungaree are all pretty neat blocks to start with. Once you've got an idea of what to expect, you will be back, and could try some of the other blocks.  Pegasus blocks are pretty awesome for scenery, diving and fishing, and hunting, but a long way down and pretty expensive to get to. Worth it though in my opinion. Northern/nw and West coast blocks are more suited to access by plane and heli, so can be expensive. Most blocks have good fishing and diving if you get the weather right, but access to the sea can be very limited and generally fishing off the rocks is your realistic option. The west side is fairly rugged.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards