Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) STEWART ISLAND whose been there (Read 93948 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Re: STEWART ISLAND whose been there
Reply #45 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Has anyone hunted masons homestead since the new hut was put in?

Does it have a meatsafe?

Same question for Cavileer.

Just trying to work out which block to book and if I need to bring a gamebag or not.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #46 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 11:01am
Print Post  
We have Doughboy, Cavalier and Martins Creek next month so will give a update on them, anyone with any info on them let me no.
Have also hunted South Pegasus and North Big Glory if that any help to anyone.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Coxy wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:26pm:
boowacker wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:17pm:
Coxy wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 11:01am:
We have Doughboy, Cavalier and Martins Creek next month so will give a update on them, anyone with any info on them let me no.
Have also hunted South Pegasus and North Big Glory if that any help to anyone.

I guess you have the Rod n Rifle articles from 07?

No haven't got them.

PM me your email and I will send them thru. There's articles on Martins and Cavalier as well as several others, lots of good general info as well.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

bowmad
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Any one been to South west Arm or Freds Camp recently?
Any informaqtion would be appreciated

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #49 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I went to Freds Camp in 2002.  Nice hut, good jetty to fish off, lots of mussels.  It's a bit hilly but got some nice bush to stalk in.  Like everything over that side of the island there is no clear land so it's all bush stalking.  Expect a few loopies through the hut but nothing like the numbers on the north west circuit.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Gypsy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #50 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Hunted Rollers Beach in 1990; lots of deer (tracks on the beach made it look like a stockyard every morning, after the night's activity) but never managed a blue cod, just the spotties. It was fascinating checking each morning to see what had been up the beach during the night. Found turtle tracks one morning. Hiked back to HMB and saw a few deer on the track (but the Sako was unloaded, of course). If you have this block you might have some difficulty finding a clear campsite. Approaching through the surf can be exciting. I understand that rifles tend to burrow down in the surf muzzle first into the sand and out of sight very quickly if the dinghy capsizes.

Bungaree - twice in the mid nineties; agree with the remarks above re trampers - I was onto a good buck (judging from the size and depth of the tracks) which was crossing the lagoon outlet early each morning. I couldn't take best advantage of the prevailing wind as the hut would've been in the background. Using a safer but less favourable approach I got within seconds of him (judging by the tracks left between one wave and the next) before he got wind of me, at which point the toes splayed and the tracks went very deep as he dropped the clutch and wheeled around  - very exciting playing cat and mouse but he was always (3 mornings before he became fed up and didn't come back) just a few seconds ahead of me.

Hapuatuna; we were about the first party in with the new hut. Lots of deer but too much wind was coming off the inlet and the back eddies kept betraying us. Took my daughter out several times with her 6mm-223 L461 Sako; we could smell the deer, hear the deer but with the thick scrub just couldn't get close enough to see them.  She loved it all the same - at least you knew the buggers were there! No shot was fired this trip but I think with more experience (see remarks above re the difference between hunting reds and hunting whitetail) we would've got one in the re-growth areas where there had been a sawmill many years ago. You're likely to get some local talent from HMB turning up for the day on this block, as it's just across the water from the back of HMB. Good fishing for cod but no mussels grow there.

Abrahams Bosom - that's well covered elsewhere.

It's a magic place SI - so look after it. I've found too many camp sites on SI that look like an outdoor brothel in one of the less privileged parts of the world.

I discovered that if you visit SI enough times you become somewhat immune to the sandflies.

Get the DVD, "The grey ghosts of Rakiura" and watch it before you go - has some very good advice in it. There's a copy in Palmerston North library for folk unfortunate enough to live in the North Island.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #51 - May 3rd, 2010 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Massive.

All the Rakiura Hunter Camp Trust huts (includes Homestead, Martins & Cavalier)have a a meatsafe which will hold at least three bioned out animals.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #52 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for that.  The old mason homestead hut didn't have one hence the question.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #53 - May 5th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Also does anybody know where the old airstrip is on mason homestead block?  Looking on google earth I see a clear area on the eastern boundary of the block, is that it?

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #54 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on May 5th, 2010 at 5:52pm:
Also does anybody know where the old airstrip is on mason homestead block?  Looking on google earth I see a clear area on the eastern boundary of the block, is that it?

Yes pretty much adjacent to the hunters hut. If I can figure it out I will try and PM it to you.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #55 - May 5th, 2010 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
turn right at the old gateway before the bridge just before the turnoff to the hunters hut.  The airstrip is about 150 metres from the trampers track behind a small grass ridge.  On google slide your mouse right from the photo icon of the old woolshed

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #56 - May 10th, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Back yesterday from a trip to Chew Tobacco Bay. Being an RMLT block there are a few issues to deal with when booking so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. There is very little pressure on these blocks, ours had one group of 4 in the preceeding 7 weeks!

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #57 - May 23rd, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I have lived here for over twenty years now. Pretty much hunted it all.
PM me if I can be of help to anyone with info etc.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

tdavies
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
This is a great thread for first time hunters to S. Island!
Just wondering if anyone has hunted the Rakeahua block and what its like?

Cheers

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #59 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Re, Rakeahua block.
The Raki doesnt hold big numbers of whitetail deer. Best place is the big clearing 10mins from hut.Theres always a couple hanging  around there.A Redskin or two visit the clearings also. Though the locals keep the clearings sorted out. Theres a treestand mid clearing on river side of clearing.  Access is by way of boating in up the river from the sou-west arm at high tide. Or walk in from Freds camp or from Halfmoon Bay, but thats a big walk. Other areas that Ive seen deer there are across the river and hunting the native bush fringe where it meets the Manuka flats.Or walk up past swingbridge on route to Doughboy, have seen a few not far past the bridge. Or one other option is watch the tidal flats at low tide about the river mouth.Get the odd deer crossing over or feeding on the seaweeds left at low tide. Or at times you might see a deer on the tops about the summit of Mt Rakeahua.
The manuka flats are a bastard to hunt as its tight and lots of windfall, but has reasonable grass undernieth in places. The native isnt to bad but doesnt hold many deer.Find those broadleaf trees and watch them. Lots of Kiwis in block, eels in the river and trampers are liable to be using hut [6 bunks, potbelly stove] also.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards