Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Trophy Pics, (Read 13853 times)
Carlsen Highway
Ex Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Trophy Pics,
Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:33am
Print Post  
7mmag,

The megapixels refer to the resolution of the camera, IE how many dots per inch, if you think like its a printer or somthing, not the colours.
The less than ideal colour saturation comes from digital cameras having low contrast. As I say above, if you can run them through a photo program and simply add more contrast, you will see the photo's deepen their colours.
An old trick is to underexpose the photo a touch when you take it to deepen colours, but this you can do afterwards with your software.
Also, if you are talking about the colours after the digital has been printed - then you should look to your printer, or the lab that does them, as the problem with digital printing, is the colours have littel relationaship with the actual picture - it dpends how much toner is left in each colour cartridge int he printer!
Best bet
1- run your pix through programme and add contrast
2 - Use 35mm film, and use slides.

Whereami may be able to add more on the digital colours, as I only got a digtal last year, I was a film guy.

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:44am
Print Post  
C-H,

I can see that you are an "available light" man  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Hunting pics aside for one minute, I have seen some really stunning portraits done with available light and I really do admire the people who take them. I particularly like some B&W work....As I said earlier, I know enough about photography to realise I have no talent for it...the tech side I can get by on, but I lack that artistic "eye"  you mentioned to see/compose a good photograph and thats what lifts a photo from being a holiday snap to something special..

Regards,

Pete

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #32 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Quote:
Unless you are a dummy and loose it after taking pictures for this forum  Cry Cry

Or some prick steals it

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

Reply #33 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Interesting thread with some good advice!! Smiley

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
always use the available light if you can .Think creatively and natural light is the best light always
CH always shoot to the right with digital as digital does not handle under exposure very well at all.
the shadows will fill with noise(a grainy look)
if you have and can use the histogram on your camera check that you are as far as you can to the right hand side of the histogram without blowing out the highlights.

M.F digital colour is just fine with the better cameras. better cameras shoot in 16bit raw files easy as good as film and often better in some circumstances
what is inferior is your computer screen, it cannot match the color depth or contrast of a 16 bit printed image.
it is true though that digital can not match the dynamic range of film but that as C.H says can be overcome with  the skillful use of photoshop.

here is an example of having  trouble with the huge dynamic range presented by being in heavy bush and a brilliant shafts of sunlight. on the subjest (which was my intention) I could have taken a flat shot of equal light but that would be kind of boring.
I shot for the light in dark bush  portions so that I would get the detail of the color and feathers on the bird sacrfising a very sharp image due to a slow shutter speed , however it meant that I would lose detail in and on his beak.

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

Reply #35 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Lostone your wildlife pics are truly amazing! That woodpigeon one and others that you've posted lately are truly amazing! Smiley
As a long time point and shoot photographer I have been truly challenged to use my little Nikon to the best of my abilities and it's limitations and endeavor to learn far more about the art of photography!
Cheers!!

IP Logged

luckey
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 11:37pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #37 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Firstly I apologize for the atrocious spelling mistakes from my last post I have had a few and it takes a few more for me to settle down.
Secondly thanks Hiary for the kind encouragement.
I spent many years shooting for a living experiencing all manner of amazing things happening to me and not a single photo  to mark the occasion. I remember once ripping a scrubber possum out of a trap and hurling it over the side only to have it land on a hinds back,the really amazing thing was she bolted off making a hell of a raket and stood barking at me just out of sight until I decided to rark her up by trying to sneak in on her.

Here we go
The difference between natural light and flash light can be very dramatic, however the use of flash esp ttl11 flash can be of great benefit if used sensibly .
The benefits of flash are of course a faster shutter speed allowing a sharper picture  and hopefully more detail .
The down side is that it separates the subject from its surroundings.
I have learnt in these few short months that there are two catogories of pictures
1 a portrait of the subject in and of its self and…
2 a picture of the subject at home in its natural surroundings.
I don’t have a preference as both have their place of importance.
My first photo is of a North Island Robin which I took in natural light.
Notice the lack of focus around the head, this is because the bloody thing wouldn’t stay still for long short of feeding it the same stuff I’m drinking at this time.
Natural light

This second shot is with flash ,this helps to speed up the shutter speed and make it easier to gain a sharper image, much like having a lighter trigger helping the shooter tighten up his groups.

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:28am
Print Post  
How much of that isolation is down to the flash and how much is down to the depth of field or is a skilled combination of the two???

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #39 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:36am
Print Post  
the isolation is due to the enhanced lighting of the subject directly in front of the flash .
As the power of the flash decreases rapidly the back ground ,being a distance away behind the subject fials to be influenced by the introduced light so fades to black, hence it makes the subject artificially stand out un-naturaly by its self.

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Cheers!  Smiley 

Your pics are stunning BTW...Ever get any published?

Regards,

Pete

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:52am
Print Post  
a little hocus pocus and hey presto the tui looks a bit better.

there is no sub for a good photo to start with but really with a bit of study you can make remarkable improvements to your photos.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #42 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Luckey I would do almost anything to have a bell bird out in the open like that.
I hope to get some snaps of bell birds within the next month or so.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #43 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:14am
Print Post  
pete  yes I have had a couple now but i hope to do more in the future.
I'm an obsessive type of guy and have only been into this for a wee while but I love animals, birds and such, I feel a real affinity for them and I think they are real characters.
I enjoy deer the most and hope to get some real cracker photos this year of them doing the wild thing.
Having a life time of hunting, I believe I have an advantage when it comes to understanding animals and birds and have no illusions as to there animal natures (they ain't humans and dont suffer from human emotions) like some  photographers seem hell bent on alluding too.

IP Logged

luckey
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:23am
Print Post  
whereami what did you do to my tui ??  I already had a go in Photoshop but didn't do much, now you've improved it out of sight. 
And I confess these photos were taken out my dining room window.  For 20 years I've been planting native shrubs & trees around the house to attract native birds, and blasting countless magpies to keep these mongrels at bay; you can see the results.  Next steps are to improve my photograhic skills, and then try and make it all work out in the bush.
The advice here, about use of flash etc, is a big help but I still want to know what you did to the tui !
Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards