Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Trophy Pics, (Read 13852 times)
MADNESS
Ex Member

Re: Trophy Pics,
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
hey jet i guess you know you chances of getting a good head out of that area for you wall went down a bit after knocking that one over

i hope the meat was worth it  Wink

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

Jet
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
For sure madness, I was a bit hasty on the shot.

It takes an animal to find an animal. All assets will deflate vs gold. Store of Value

IP Logged

sika8
Forum Font

Work to live, not live
to work, stuff work go
hunt

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Dont think that would ever be a trophy , you did it a service by shooting it

A CRAP DAY OUT HUNTING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

IP Logged

Hill fox
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Dont do trophy hunting its the hunt that does it for me doe buck or whatever, if it took some getting it counts, dont ask me to score a head i am clueless i think its a bore.
These were bigish and stuck up a fair bit but probably dont count as much i realy dont know or care.
Supose they could be classed as trophy of sorts but all are walking stick handles now i sell all my antlers to a old lad localy who does this.
A couple i have on photobucket i have one a big roe i will post it here when i scan it. its from 3 years ago

Took two days solid to get these lads the dificult ones are the true trophys for me.

This took me months toi sort out thats a trophy. how do you score that then.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Box browny's,,Instimatic's,,35 mil sigle lens reflex Grin Grin black & white,,then colour Cool 8 mil movey,super 8 Cool
now Digital,,where's all those bloody years gone Undecided Undecided. one thing for sure yi can never go wrong
carrying a camera,MEMORIES,,,fuzzy pics from the past,,sharp images today,mean a lot either way.
How many times did yi wish yi had had a camera eh,,Looking back myself,,I wish I had taken a camera
with me since day one,it's too late for that now...Dont make the same mistake Smiley Wink unfortunatly you will
get old.
Interesting thread actually.
cheers.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 12:42am
Print Post  
sika8 wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 10:23pm:
Dont think that would ever be a trophy , you did it a service by shooting it

this coming from the guy who have never shot an 8 point jap  Grin

no one said it was going to be a trophy  Wink

jet is after a good representable sika head for his wall and that one was well on the way to being just that Smiley

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Box browny's,,Instimatic's,,35 mil sigle lens reflex Grin Grin black & white,,then colour Cool 8 mil movey,super 8 Cool
now Digital,,where's all those bloody years gone Undecided Undecided. one thing for sure yi can never go wrong
carrying a camera,MEMORIES,,,fuzzy pics from the past,,sharp images today,mean a lot either way.
How many times did yi wish yi had had a camera eh,,Looking back myself,,I wish I had taken a camera
with me since day one,it's too late for that now...Dont make the same mistake Smiley Wink unfortunatly you will
get old.
Interesting thread actually.
cheers.

I remeber the grandfather back in '78 having the instamatic (?). Point, shoot, out comes the photo, rip off the cover and watch it develop. We all thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:11am
Print Post  
This thread has turned out really well and there is some great advice here..

CH I suspect is talking from the point of a serious photography who is striving for perfection.

Nothing at all wrong with that, but  as already noted it can be impractical at times because the various constraints that face  such as lack of light or the carcass being too heavy to heave about or in a difficult position to work with..

I hope Madness doesn't mind but I'd like to use two of his pictures here to bring out a couple of points already mentioned.

In the first as Madness already noted, he got the light wrong...

C-H solution is the "correct" one ie the carcass should have been dragged so that it was in a better position with regards the light...That may mean just turning it to face a different direction, or it could have involved moving it quite a distance into a clearing where the light was better...

However, niether opition may have been practical, so the workable alternative is to use your flash...If you're not sure what you are doing set the camera to portrait mode and the camera will try to figure it out and will zap the picture with "fill in" flash..This does run the risk of the picture looking "flat" but its probably going to be better than it being too dark.

Another solution, on a digital picture, is to get somebody who is good on photoshop to try to rescue the dark shot by selectively tweaking the exposure..There are some talented people who can work wonders with Photoshop ( I am not one of them!  Sad  )  so its worth asking around....

The other photo which caught my eye, again because of the flash, is the one below.

This again shows some of the problems with flash, particularly small ones, as found on a typical point and shoot style camera.

In this case, the camera has tried to expose the picture to get Madnesse's face correct, but as the bucks head is so much closer to the camera, it has over exposed that part, but it hasn't got a enough grunt to light up the background which is in darkness...C-H mentioned going back to an SLR..In this case an SLR with a more powerful off camera flash unit could have probably done a better job, but at the expense of the hunter having to carry heavier/bulkier kit..

There is not much a typical hunter can do about this in these circumstances...He could try arranging the scene so there is not so much "depth" to it, ie have the carcass lying broadside on to the camera with the hunter close behind it...This gives the flash to light up the important parts more evenly..He could also lift the camera position, so that the flash does not wash out/over expose the for ground...Finally, this is one place it would be worth trying the "night protrait mode" on the camera...other than very basic cameras, most have this facility but it works better on some than others...

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:55am
Print Post  
that second one Pete E in the original the flash in the foreground isn't so noticeable and its got a good balance but to post in on here i had to take a photo of a photo the flash has lightened it up even more giving it the over flashed look  

all my old photos were taken with a point and shoot 35mm camera which was a good basic hunting camera but you are very limited to the pics that you get with them  

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Madness,

I understand what you mean and I was only using that pic as an example...

With regards the camera itself, if you can get by without having to seeing the results immediately, there is a lot to be said for those 35mm point and shoots or even the smaller 35mm SLR's...Even the so called desposable cameras can give good results in the light is reasonable...

Regards,

Pete

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:12am
Print Post  
yip it was a good example there has been many a good photo stuffed up by the flash by either to much, in the wrong area of the photo as you pointed out or by no flash at all

i really like the digitals now as you can in the sort out the photos field and keep taking pic's until you get a good one your happy with

IP Logged

Pete E
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Unless you are a dummy and loose it after taking pictures for this forum  Cry Cry

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Ex Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Okay I may have gone overboard in my post, but, everything I said comes into play no matter how simple a photograph you have.
Yes, you are right, you can only work with what you have, but I was pointing out that even in simple situations there is a lot you can do to improve things - if you know what options you have.

AS for the flash thing,
1 -- dont use one, at all. Cut some trees down.
2 - Come back in the morning if you can.
3 - Otherwise, put it on you tripod sticks and do a slower exposure. (For this you need a real camera, not a point and shoot digital.  )
4 -Or good 'working solution' for simple camera's is to put your finger over the flash unit when it takes the picture, forcing the camera to take an underexposed photograph, then run it through photoshop afterwards and ajust the light and contrast.
(Just as an eg; the photo below was done this last way.)

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Okay I may have gone overboard in my post,

no not at all

it's all bloody good advice and now i take some tips to work on to try and get the best out of my camera and the photos i take  Smiley

IP Logged

TOP_PREDATOR
Forum Font

Lord Ripon Apprentice

Reply #29 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I take a 35mm camera on big trips as the colour is better in the photos.

Digital cameras are great,but i have found the colour not as good,i see there are 10 Mega Pixel cameras now,will a 10 mega pixel camera take better photos than the ones i have posted on this thread??

To my deep mortification, my father once said to me, ‘You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat-catching and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.’ Charles Darwin
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards