Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: moosemeat on: Dec 27th, 2019 at 4:13pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Introduce Yourselves Fellas (Read 425882 times)
gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Introduce Yourselves Fellas
Nov 9th, 2006 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Looks like we've picked up a few new members in the shift, or old members with new names... 
Tell us a bit about yourselves guys, don't be shy

Me, the name's Pete, I'm a student at Otago university, studying Geology (sort of), live in Invervegas when I'm not out burning couches. I've been shooting since I was 10, mainly rabbits and the like, I got a few deer a couple of years ago then didn't get out for reasons unexplained. Got back into it this year, no deer lately but I just shot my first tahr 2 days ago. This place has been great, I've learned a heap about hunting and shooting from here, and met some great guys too.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:08am by gimp »  

IP Logged

Ernie
Donor Member

Bugger. never trust your
safety catch

Re: Introduce Yourselves Fellas
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Nicknames Ernie so I use that for my log on. Shoot anything legal with .22, .25-06, 12g and airgun. Live in N.E. UK but emigrating to Dunedin area early next year. This is definately the best forum there is, been made very welcome by all on the boards. Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Live in Oamaru, work in South Canterbury, North, East and Central Otago and also occaisonally in the lower part of the West Coast.

Been hunting since I was about 7,  and prefer to hunt tahr especially, but pigs and deer are more often the target, due to handiness.

Oscar is my lab, and 128 is my street address - signed on to something in the past that had more than one Oscar, so needed a number at the end.

.308 and .243 Sakos, Benelli M1 Super 90 12g, plus a few odds and ends.

Not hunting quite as much at the moment, so this site gives me a fix!  Smiley

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Spiker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:31am
Print Post  
I live near  Whakatane on a small deer farm of approx 300 head. Self employed mowing contractor to pay the bills. Married with 2 now adult step sons who live in the USA. Not much of a hunter these days apart from bunny blasting around home. Main interests are range shooting and I'm the secretary of the local pistol & rifle range at Awakeri.

IP Logged

Pighunter Al
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:43am
Print Post  
My name is Allen,live just out of Hamilton and a mad keen pig hunter,always seem to have 5 or 6 dogs hanging around home,hunt mostly around the waikato and east coast areas,always learning new things and always enjoy a walk in the hills.I manage a stockfeed company to pay the bills and buy dog food....

IP Logged

munster
Forum Font

Do I feel lucky? . . .
. Well do ya Punk!

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:07am
Print Post  
My name is Aaron, I live in Pukekohe and it's been 6 days since I shot a Firearm . . . . I'm so ashamed.

OK, sriously then, I've 3 kids that all love coming shooting. Wife doesn't like it, but appreciates my hobby and doesn't stop me or the kids.

Bunnies, Possums & Turkeys - I have no problems with

Goats - on accasion

Deer - Alan's quote is soooooooooo appropriate

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
IP Logged

Camelot Kid
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Used to be West Coaster in the old forum, but my career is taking me off the coast early next year, so thought I'd better change the log in.  Can't be a Coaster if you don't live there!

Spent some time in the Camelot River area of Fiordland...it became my knickname among a few hunting friends. 

Perfer Tahr and high country hunting to bush bashing -> love the hard climbs! 
Am training a GWP.

IP Logged

wildmann
Forum Font

What?

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Wildmann, aka Dean. I am also a student at Otago Uni... So apart form burning couchs and rioting I do find time to hunt; its coming up to my 1 year anniversery for my first deer... nov 26 2005... shot 6 more since then Grin.

IP Logged

nobodys hero

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:58am
Print Post  
scott ....from pukekohe run a panel shop so its hard getting time off to hunt lucky if i get away twice a year ....why cant everyone stop crashing their cars during good huntin conditions is that too much to ask

no such word as can't just havn't figured out how yet
YouTube  
IP Logged

MUZ
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:05am
Print Post  
most of you fella's  know me.Muz aka Murray Im Mad And Mad keen on hunting Smiley.I hunt most stuff except Ducks

IP Logged

Duck Gunner
Global Forum Guide

www.FishNhunt.co.nz

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Andrew, from Patumahoe, I run a small computer/Consultancy business.

I Mainly hunt Rabbits, Possums and Ducks, but hoping to add goats and deer to that.

IP Logged

MountainMan
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:12am
Print Post  
My name's Jamie; Originally from Mt Maunganui. I have been living in Canterbury for the last 5years, still studying at Varsity and enjoying the felxibility for hunting related expiditions Grin I mainly hunt red deer, and chamois, but shoot the odd pig, and chase the odd tahr. I think we're lucky to have such vast areas of public land to hunt - so may as well cover as much of it as poss/ The name mountainman comes my personal hunting website www.mountainman.co.nz that is truly where I feel most at home

Hunting isn't just a Hobby, it's a Lifestyle. www.mountainman.co.nz
IP Logged

HQ
Forum Senior

Boom Boom!

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:19am
Print Post  
My names Aidan...aka...HQRacer....

Very new to the hunting scene - large game at least.

Live in Wellington, work in corporate IT.  Race a HQ Holden in my spare time (did I see a panelbeater on the list above??  Grin ) and in my other spare time currently eradicating bunnies and other small games from friends and families farms.

This site is awesome...a wealth of information and cool people.

IP Logged

Squeak
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:26am
Print Post  
squeak, a.k.a. Tom/ bail/ baker boi

former member of welly bands:
angel tree
profane
traces of decay
2ic
ten k in a t bird
and last but not least
industrial angels

mad keen on hunting and fishing but my coming kiddie (jan 23rd) will put a damper on that,
only own an air rifle (.177)
but i'm an aspiriing hunting/ fishing store/ importer owner

have yet to shot an animal with meat on it,
but dec in ranfurly will change that, i hope

cheers Squeak

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Hi Ian here, Chose Walker because I've got to walk every where now, can't afford the kero taxi!! Run the AudioVisuals at The War Memorial Museum, Have been shooting since 5years old, when I'm not rebuilding bikes, I'm a hobby 'smith. Get out when I can mostly to range as thats all the time I've got at the moment.

Just do it

IP Logged

hunt_harvest_nz
Forum Font

Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Kia ora all,
My name's Paora. I'm fairly new to this game, only been hunting ducks and game birds the last two seasons. Looking to get a rifle fairly shortly and get into a bit of goat and deer hunting also. I grew up in Whanganui and have been living in Auckland for the last 10 odd years.
I'm an avid fisherman also who's still trying to land the big kingi off the rocks.
Mauri Ora!

Make it happen!

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I live in Arrowtown on a 10 acre block with some fallow deer, married with wife and 2 children.  I own a geophysical survey company.  Till 2 years ago I was a Commercial diver working in South East Asia and the Middle East.  I still do the odd job in the oilfield.

I have hunted since I could walk I shot my first deer when I was 10 years old.

Now I hunt tahr, I have been known to throw rocks at deer when they get in the way of my tahr hunts.

Chose Weathered because Im always in it one way or another

Regards Weathered

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Hard_Hunter
Forum Senior

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Hi there, my name is Chris. Lived in CHCH almost my whole life and have recently graduated from blasting bunnies, possums and wallabies (hey all Australian...no coincidence I'm sure Wink) to some deer and 1 Tahr. I'm still working on a chamois but I have plenty of time.
Drive a desk Mon-Fri so hunt mainly in the weekends...when I'm not chored to domestic duties. Hard_Hunter: Well I just made this up but if you slip 'Trying' inbetween the two then you get me.
Nice to see some new faces, look forward to your contributions and hunting stories.
Cheers

One in the hand is better than 2 in the bush!

IP Logged

heavy d

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:35am
Print Post  
was Heavy d on the last forum as well. Dave and studying at otago . just finishing masters in ecology, working with brown trout. do a bit of all types of hunting and fishing

How's life treating you, Norm?&&NORM: Like it caught me sleeping with its wife.&&&&

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Live in Taupo, enjoy gamebird hunting, deerstalking, a spot of pighunting and saltwater fishing and diving.  Phys. Ed teacher/HOD outdoor education which I really enjoy.  Live on 10 acres which I am trying to develop inbetween hunting and fishing trips!  Have a black lab as my main hunting companion and enjoy working with dogs/training them.  Hunt mainly Ureweras, Ahimanawas, Kiamanawas in that order.  Lucky to live in Taupo with hunting at the back door which helps.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Ants
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Was antsinlondon on the old forum, but been back in NZ for 2 years and 2 days (not that I'm counting!), so just plain Antsnow.

Living in St Heliers in Dorkland now, but still support the Crusaders, after spending 8 years in Chch. Currently working for local government, but looking at moving back into IT training starting up in visual comms.

Still learning new stuff all the time, after doing a fair bit of shooting .22s and airguns when a youngster. Involved with the NZDA at local committee level, done a few hunts with some of the boys from the old forum, all good sorts!

Always up for hunts with new faces.

IP Logged

mongrel
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Mongrel
Just a nickname that stuck, usually Michael and derivatives taken on forums.

Came across the forum two days ago. Posted once before this site was set up.

Grew up on a sheep and cropping farm from the SE of SA. Hunting mostly foxes with drives, and spotlighting. Had a few semi professional fox shooters tuck me under their wings. Caught the deer bug of them. Hunt fallow and red in SA. Shot a sambar spikey in the vic alps.  I hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and the meat rewards. Although I have been told you grow out of that Undecided

Have a PhD in seafood. Chasing up a few leads for jobs on the Sth Island. Reckon my 280 and pump shotty would love a change of scenery.

Look forward to meeting you, and possibly sharing a hunt sometime.

IP Logged

blackeyed1
Forum Font

Nothing But Head

Reply #22 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Blackeyed1,very new name for myself,something to do with talking when I should have been listening last weekend.
Cut my teeth pig hunting in the Nelson area before I grew out of that and begain real hunting(ouch,feel another blackeye coming up) chasing Reds,Whitetail deer,chamios and my favorite Tahr after moving further south to Wanaka.
My Leicas and my A-bolt 7mm08 are my most treasured possessions
When Im not hunting Im downhill mountainbiking or getting over the coast for a fish,groper/hapuka or a snapper back in Nelson being my favs
Also so a member of our local NZDA

Long Range Hunter, Close Range Shooter

IP Logged

Smeagle
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Gidday lads, just popped in, one of your blokes gave me the addy from a UK forum, which is a bit odd as I am in South Australia.

Looks to be a great site. Hope to learn and contribute where I can.

IP Logged

dogboy900
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Names William, live in Wellington, do a little bowhunting, taken bunnies and goats, but hoping for a deer or pig sometime soon.
Dont get out much but hoping to change that soon and put some effort into getting some bigger game.
Chose Dogboy because of my furry little children an english bulldog, and an american bulldog.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I'm James I live in hastings i've shot a few deer now thanks to the fourm.
I'm still the same KK from the other fourm.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Tommo
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Name's Tom, live in CHCH with wifey and two young lads. I'm a reporter with TVNZ. Primary hunting targets are Tahr and Chamois .. but Reds as well .. and travel as far as Fiordland and Marlborough to hunt all species. Fantastic forum. ONYA !!  Smiley

IP Logged

mickey

mmmmmm beeeeeeeeeeeeer

Reply #27 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
names mike, live in porirua and employed in the telecom industry.used to be 280 on other forum. like to hunt reds when i can which isn't often enough.

IP Logged

Cougar

Reply #28 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Mike here from napier in the Hawkes Bay enjoy hunting,fishing and diving usually doing one or the other most weekends.Hoping to learn more from the imfo shared at this site as well as make some new mates along the way.

Beer is cheaper than petrol.Drink don't drive

IP Logged

Mike
Donor Member

Sub_moa here
Reply #29 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Im Mike from Christchurch, Im in my last year of school. I hunt goats, pigs and deer. I am seeking to shoot a tahr and a chamois before I move up to central north island next year.

IP Logged

Qtwnhunter

Reply #30 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Howdy

Godd to see the new format taking off, and everyone into it. Names Grant, just moved back to Chch from a fantastic couple of years in Arrowtown. Used to love hunting with my old man and brothers in the flat island as a pup until I moved back to Chch and footy took over.
Have been back into hunting in the steeper island for a few years now, and loving it. Hunt small game, love opening weekend, but most of all love deer hunting and gathering. Also pretty keen fisherman.

Oh, and really enjoy this site   Wink

Still cant sort out my f**kin picture though   Angry

IP Logged

Mac69

Bugger work, lets hunt.

Reply #31 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Hallo all, name is Neil but have been called barra 69 for years. I am an Airport firefighter but have done 22 years with the armed forces. Been hunting all over the world in some form or another (including NZ many years ago). I also enjoy paragliding and parachuting although I dont get to do as much as I would like to. Presently living in the Outer Hebridies off the West coast of Scotland.
I really enjoy the forum and consider it to be 'THE FORUM' because of the good banter, piss taking and real knowledge exchange.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sika Stag
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Make the first shot count,
if not let rip.

Reply #32 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Hi all, Sika stag here and also on the old forum to.

From Pukekohe, Lived in New Zealand now for 13 years and love it. Was born in South Africa. Lived in Palmy North for 4 years, hamilton for 2 years, Cambridge for 6 years and now here in Pukekohe for 1. Don't like the Pukekohe way of life tomuch like south Auckland Embarrassed
Hunt mainly Sika and the odd fellow and red. Love to get out for a Rabit/possum shot when I have spare time. Married with 2 children.

Qualified light and heavy Mechanic, Work in family company now with my father. We produce "Cattle ProddersSmileyand "Real time Production Management Systems".

Feel free to check out our web page @ www.andtek.com

But love to hunt as much as possable. Smiley

Hot barrels

Waldo

IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #33 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Wasn't going to add to this thread as it seemed like a lot of adds on a dating website..... Grin

But I just needed to say that on the old forums I was the geezer formerly known as Kudu.

Live in Wanganui, Wife, 2 Kids, Prison Officer and am equally nuts about old Holdens as well as Hunting.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #34 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Hi all Deathwind here, new to site, an old bloke but keen. Shot everything bar a Rusa , chukor and Bob white quail, in NZ and hope to get them yet. Been guiding my son for the last 7 years, and now he has his firearms licence starting to fire the odd shot again myself. Hunted Tahr, chamois, reds , Fallow, wallabys, wild sheep, pigs, goats and small stuff with my lad this year, and caught a few trout. Will post some photos when I work out how. Based in Nelson with an office job.
Cheers All.

IP Logged

dannyboy
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
hows it going all  Smiley
been reading some of the posts and thought i say hello
live around tauranga. not been hunting long but have a couple of reds under my belt
and close to getting a fallow or two .
also keen on fishing .
always out hunting or fishing so hope to post some good stories

cheers

"If you are gonna live life on the edge you better have good balance"

IP Logged

GTS

Reply #36 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
hi Glen here
GTS is my initials and was on the old site as well.
I only joined the old site about 2 or 3 weeks ago and Im new to hunting and shooting.
My licence should be on the way and I kind of have a .22
I want to get into some bigger game hunting next year once I have learnt a bit more.
This is a great site and thank you all you guys who have helped me already.
oh yea I'm from blenheim,Live with my wife and 3 kids and work on roofs for a crust..

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SG
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Born in England, of true pure British blood been killing things vertualy every day since then if it flys walks or crawls it falls.  Grin Tongue

IP Logged

Scuzzy
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Scuzzy is my nickname from uni days. Thought it appropriate for the Forum as those were the golden years for hunting - no dependents, no boss complaining about taking time off. Hunted pigs in North Otago, Thar in South Canterbury and deer in Stewart Is and Southland. Thar would have to be my favourite - not a great fan of pounding away through thick bush  Wink

IP Logged

GMW
Forum Senior

Reply #39 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Hi all, have posted on the old forum and followed over to the new.

Originally from Kaikohe, spent some time doing culling work around Northland mostly private work. Like to hunt a bit of everything and shoot a few club disciplines now I'm based in Akld.

Old man was ex-service and took up collecting from him as well as Service Rifle/Pistol.
Deprived of any deer lately but have done some gratus culling work to test out a busted foot. Still after a good Fallow head for the wall. Cool

IP Logged

jarps
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hi all, Jonathan here, a golf course green keeper in Rangiora, fished since young but took to the rabbit rabbit population around invercargill when i was 16.  Trying for my first deer this year,  reed almost everything on the old forum but hope to add a successful hunting story of my own oneday!!

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #41 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Gidday all, I am a carry over from the old forum. a unit sudent doind animal science at lincoln near christchurch, over in brisbane at the moment for a couple of weeks, damn it is hot  Wink hunt most things when have the time available with a trusty 270 or 7ml mauser and an continously aging semi  Sad

GTalk  
IP Logged

STALKER

Reply #42 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Still STALKER from the old forum. stalker cos all the huinting i do is in the bush. Have been rabbit shooting since early teens but only been deer stalking for the past year. mainly hunt Sika but have only shot 1. JET hogs them all. Use a 22-250. cheers.

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #43 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
names william. yes anouther bill , willy  Roll Eyes dont know why so meany of us bills shoot . live in  tauranga,  self empolyed u can tell by the spelling,  just shotgun shooter specalizing in live targets, Grin  dont do rifle shooting, stuff the bush  Roll Eyes, i do, do a few of thoughs orange clay thingys, but only a box or 2  befour duck hunting season,  i have been shooting birdys for 37 years  i dont shoot  big bags  or farmed phesants only because we dont get that big a numbers of ducks in tauranga, but i do get a few, same gos for phesant , cant aford to pay the $100 per rooster at tree tops and the like,  but still like to get out and chase a rooster or 3 when in season, come to think off it i dont get meany off thoush ether,  go snapper fiishing in harbour in the summer, spear flounder, used to chase marlin and tuna but all the boats have been sold , married,  broke and cruseing .

IP Logged

alpine hunter
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Gday everyone. I have been registered on the old forum and reading a lot but thought I might start posting again with the shift.
I am an Aussie and live in North East Victoria. I do quite a bit of hunting up in our 'High Country' but in comparison to the NZ pics on the forum it aint quite as impressive. Still I love it and it love the hunting. Game includes deer (sambar and fallow but always looking for others), foxes, cats, wild dogs, rabbits, always looking for pigs and goats but they are scarce in our area and have bowled over a few camels and a donkey in Central Aus.
I am amazed at the differences in hunting culture between the two countries. Most of our hunting is vehicle based with only a few walk in hunters looking mainly for Sambar. By vehicle based I mean drive in, walk around hunting and drive home or vehicle based camp sites.
I am impressed with the Bivvy threads as it is also something that we dont have much of. Thinking of a location at the moment though!

IP Logged

Zeeriverrat
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Another holdover from the old forum.. Most folks here in the states find my last name hard to pronounce..so I go by Bob Z...most of the time.  When Im not hunting or messing with rifles I am fishing for catfish in the Mississippi river or its tributaries...lots of time on the rivers...

Make my living as a forester...and still never seem to get enough time in the woods.....

Looking forward to a trip to NZ for the roar in 2007.

Zeeriverrat

IP Logged

EJL
Donor Member

Manapouri.... Heaven on
Earth

Reply #46 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Was EJL in the old forum and still am. From Christchurch where I run a dairy farm consultancy and management business. Mainly chase red deer with a trip to sika-land every 2nd roar and a look for thar every now and then.
Try to fit as much hunting as possible in between the business, family & currently training for the coast to caost again. This forum keeps me sane when it's been to long betwen hunts.

Impossible is nothing.....................

IP Logged

wirehunt
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Stephen here,  the old drunk welder of the forum Huh Well when I'm away working anyway Grin Seem to be lining everyone else up with animals lately and not getting them myself, but I think it's time I knocked that on the head Shocked  Take note Carlsen Shocked

Move around a bit with work, as you do, normally Otago, Outram in fact. A fire breathing dragon with the red hair and two kids at home, the boy just turned seven and the wee tart just turned three.

Right now sitting in a room in a pub at Wakefeild, just out of Nelson, bored so having a drink Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:02pm by »  

IP Logged

Yammies
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Hey... Troy here, known as Yammies on here and at work. I live in Bulls (not by choice) I'm a diesel mechanic by trade.. a Bit of a newbie when it comes to hunting and the likes.
Bought my first rifle earlier in the year, closely followed by a second. Keen to get out, just lacking the opportunities lately. Keen to learn, been soaking up as much info as i can from this site.. I guess i'll meet a few of you in a fortnight anyways....

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #49 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Beaker here from the old site also, only just reregistered as have been away last 2 weeks for my Mums funeral.

On the up side I've been hunting now for 2 years and have 2 deer and countless goats bunnies turkeys, and 1 duck. Hopeing to step that up a notch or two but my work and home renovations keep getting in the way. By profesion I'm an industrial chemist I have worked in the coatings industry mostly.

IP Logged

kiaorakid
Forum Senior

Reply #50 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Beaker wrote on Nov 13th, 2006 at 7:16pm:
Beaker here from the old site also, only just reregistered as have been away last 2 weeks for my Mums funeral.

Sorry to hear of your loss Beaker Sad

GTalk  
IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #51 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Cheers c Kiaorakid it has h been a hard time I will miss her.

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:03pm by »  

IP Logged

LEO

MEXICAN KIWI  LEO

Reply #52 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 6:39am
Print Post  
cheers FRIENDS I AM LEO BAUTISTA I LIVE IN CHIHUAHUA  MEXICO I HAVE 25 YEARS OLD I LOVE THE DEERS HUNT I AM MECANICAL ENGENIER I DESINGER MACHINERY AGRICULTURAL I LOVE NEW ZELAND IS A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY I HAVE A RIFLE 3006 , 270 AND 243  IN MARCH 2007 I WILL GO TO LIVE IN NEW ZELAND IS MY DREAM CHERS HUNT FRIENDS

La grandeza del hombre radica en la fortaleza de su mente, en la nobleza de su alma y en su voluntad de vencer.

IP Logged

300WSM

Should be out more often!!

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Hi all, was "Hopefull" in the old forum, have posted a little, but still a newbie, live in northland and love to hunt anything, have done a bit of deer stalking and got a few to my name, but would love to keep it up, have taken up the bow lately and lovin it, only managed to get upto goats so far, pig and deer are next on the list for the bow. Done a bit of pig hunting over the last couple of years as well, live for anything outdoors, hunting, fishing, diving etc. Spend most weekends in the summer chasing marlin and tuna in a trailer boat, mostly east and west coast northland. Had a big clean out of the gun safe this year and restocked with a couple of newy's, Tikka T3 lite (300WSM) and a Sako 22-250 heavy barrel laminated. If there's anyone else from up north and keen to catch up just yell out.
Cheers

IP Logged

Andrew46826
Forum Font

Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hi I'm Andrew I like candle lit dinners and long walks on the beach  Grin

No but really I live in Palmy I hunt rabbits, possums, goats and attempt to hunt deer as often as I can. Emphisis on the attempt

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together - African proverb

IP Logged

wirehunt
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
We're so PC, even got gay boy's on here Grin

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:05pm by »  

IP Logged

Andrew46826
Forum Font

Reply #56 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
I hope you don't mean me wirehunt Shocked Grin

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together - African proverb

IP Logged

wirehunt
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Well if the boot, oopps sorry, if the slipper fit's  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Andrew46826
Forum Font

Reply #58 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
the boot, the boot does'nt fit   Cool

IP Logged

shoby
Forum Senior

I cannot resist The FishNhunt
Forum

Reply #59 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, Saad here. Live in Auckland Mt Eden.
Love bird shooting and fishing. Lookis like I may convert to rifle shooting sooner or later  Wink
I have learnt a lot from this forum and still continue to...

Sorry to hear about your loss Beaker. I have lost my mum early year so know how it feels
Sad

Be like a postage stamp, stick to one thing until you get there.

IP Logged

wildmann
Forum Font

What?

Reply #60 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Dean here, student in Dunedin, just writing up my masters in ecology Angry Got a 7mm08 and a 300winmag. Also getting an old mauser rebarreled in 257roberts currently... started deer hunting last year on a safe hunter training course with otago NZDA, shot 8 since Grin which im very proud of.

IP Logged

Joe Macklin

Reply #61 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Im still me, not sure if i have already posted on this thread and cant be bothered looking through.

I'm Joe from Wellington, mostly hunt red deer but enjoy the duck season when it comes around. Shoot the odd goat also.

I see someone with my old avatar from the old forum, they can have it, but it isnt me.

IP Logged

Gametime

Reply #62 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Hello all, Gametime is my forum alias, the name of my boat.Bob in the real world. I'm new on this new forum, and only a couple of posts on mk 1. I've been around guns since about a 10yr old- 52 now  Smiley and have had them until a few years ago. Gotta get a license again now, as I want to get back into a bit of shooting. Spent a lot of time shooting Trap, and will most likely do so again.
Once I'm licensed again, I'm looking at a .22 for near shot small stuff, and a 17HMR for a bit further.  I'm not into deer,pigs etc, as I'm too unfit/lazy/old to beat myself up through bush and steep stuff. Love the sport and generally using firearms.  This is a pretty cool site, with good info mostly. Great to see a bit of shit stirring too. Cheers Guys, Bob. Cool

IP Logged

LEO

MEXICAN KIWI  LEO

Reply #63 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 4:05am
Print Post  
that happiness much people many friends I need to learn the language ingles to talk  but with you friends Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin Grin Grin

La grandeza del hombre radica en la fortaleza de su mente, en la nobleza de su alma y en su voluntad de vencer.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #64 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 6:55am
Print Post  
PORKCHOP here. just checking out the new site. Very nice Alan. I know most of you from the old site. I am north of Auckland, spend my time keeping away from mrs Porkchop. Pighunting and Deerstalking helps me do that. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:35am
Print Post  
hi i'm madness know me before you judge me   Smiley

Despite the rising cost of living it still remains popular

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #66 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:59am
Print Post  
MADNESS wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:35am:
hi i'm madness know me before you judge me   Smiley

Grin@that

Im Tone, Its my real name too. originally from helensville, used to surfcast LBG, now in Taupo so fly and spin fish, Just getting into stalking. Yet to shoot a CNI deer. One wife (Thank f**k) and Three kids. (One being a 16yr old Girl Undecided)

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
how long have you been in taupo tone ?

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #68 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
MADNESS wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:33pm:
how long have you been in taupo tone ?

Since Feb 2000.
Lived out west Auck for most of my life. Our marae is in between huapai and helensville.

IP Logged

MUZ
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I know posted before in here but thought i should say more about myself.
Well i lived at Kaukapakapa most my life.

Started actively hunting about 3yrs ago i guess.
Im still crap at it too Embarrassed Grin

Hoping to hunt pigs with my own two dogs and rifle.
Shoot well enough to  head shoot fallow with a .222.

DREAMS ARE FREE Cheesy

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
off to timbucktoo's was it  Wink

hey happy birthday for tusday by the way  Smiley

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #71 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for birthday wishes. It was before timbucktoo, about 1984-85. I think tims came along a couple of years later.   Far out some of the stories there. Wickedly hammered running along the roof tops from the bouncers etc etc Ahhh those were the days Wink

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
which high school did you go to ?

IP Logged

Tone
Forum Font

Papamoa

Reply #73 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Kelston Boys 83-86 RFCS 87 Gamuzinas videoking88-90

IP Logged

AndyH

Reply #74 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Well, I may have done this on the other Forum but its been a while so...

From Auckland, dont hold it against me.  Living in London at present, have christmas and new years in Scotland and then home for 4 months (had to stretch the holiday to mid may, DUCKS!)  Desperate to get into the bush as soon as I land in the country.  Ruakituri is my favourite wilderness area at the moment, love exploring new places though. 

Keen on pheasants, ducks, deer, trout (fly) and salty fishing too.  Anything that takes me into nature really.  very keen to hook up with other hunters, going to be down in CHch first week in March for some hunting. 

Good to meet you all and hopefully I'll see some of you at forum hunts early next year.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Mac69

Bugger work, lets hunt.

Reply #75 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Where are you heading for in Scotland AndyH?

IP Logged

dirtyhabit
Forum Font

Happiness.....is a warm
gun

Reply #76 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I remember Timbucktoos, back of Henderson Square? The boys used to go there all the time as they were pretty lax with the whole id thing...One of my exs won a t-shirt comp there one night too!!!

IP Logged

oldcullafella
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
OCF..aka Pete,Ive spent the last 6 years playing international and national paintball events..My grandson is now 10 and lives for hunting so Ive now come bcak to it.. I import paintball gear and some hunting gear..I winter fish for big rainbows through winter and duck shoot also..get out for the roar a few days as well...over the last 40 years Ive shot most NZ critters..culling goats and deer on private farms and forestry. Ive spent the last few months getting new hunting areas for goats and other critters..I live in Rotorua and have a spare bed for any of you fellas if you get stuck...or a port in a storm.. my wife hates the number of visitor we get most weeks Wink I see it  as part of making friends.. cheers Pete

IP Logged

landahoy
Forum Senior

Where are those bloody
Deer!

Reply #78 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Howdy.Names Ian Married with one 3yr old girl and a boy on the way.
Marine Electrician Living in Blenheim and working in Picton.Originally born in Bermuda .Landahoy came from cruising my yacht around .Nothing sweeter than those words after 21 days at sea on a 42 ft yacht with just you and your wife.Tip hide all sharp knives before leaving port. Wink
Seem to be struggling in the Deer department. Cry

Pork no problem ,venison big problem!
IP Logged

areyoushaw

Reply #79 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
areyoushaw aka Reuben, seems like i'm the youngest(or close to it) on this board...

Live in Coatesville, Auckland, im a 17yr old who finally managed to get his hands on a firearms license after many many airguns, very keen on the hunting scene, mostly small game with my new toy(.22 and lovin it) but around christmas im buying a .270(after much part time working) and heading off to chase the deer in the Kaimanawas with some mates. I like big game hunting, but not as much as the rabbits, possums and magpies round here. They love me, i can tell you. Recently i've gotten into the trapping side of things, made a livehold trap, and bought another livehold so they keep me busy running possum traplines up through the riverhead forest(hush hush).
Planning to buy a 12g early next year and get into shotguns, but now i'm sticking with rifles. Opposed to leghold traps, killtraps, and bloody 1080 of course.
Lovin the forum, a wealth of information to help out a beginner, always helpful to ask some guys who know more than you...

IP Logged

hamstring
Forum Senior

beauty is only a lightswitch
away.

Reply #80 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hami, from chch now live in auckland on the shore, like most hunting and fishing am 29.

IP Logged

Drahthaar
Donor Member

Reply #81 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Hi there, live in Palmy. Hunt deer, fly fish for trout.

IP Logged

Jakewire
Forum Font

Reply #82 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Owen here , live in Oamaru, have a serious interest in long range shooting,though it's a pity interest doesn't equate with excellence,run a 22-250, 7mm-08 and soon arriving 280 with various others.
Married, and closer to 50 than 40.
Have a wee Black lab bitch that seriously gets up my nose some times,But what the hell, she's mine[or am I hers].
She is not for sale!

Quis Custodiet Ipos Custodes

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

Reply #83 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Aka Neil! Live in Auckland and am keen on all types of hunting but deer stalking is number 1! My eyesights not what it used to be and the hills seem to be getting steeper and it takes me a little longer to get to where I want to be, but I'm still as mad keen as I was 30+ years ago! Chose the name sika270 as  sika would be the deer I hunt the most and a .270 is what I use! This forum Rocks!!

IP Logged

johnboy
Forum Senior

Reply #84 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
John , live in Warburton ,Victoria ,  shifted over here in 87 .
Hunt sambar deer with Beagles and bloodhounds from late april until November.
Stalk a little , won a hunt on the thar with forest and game raffle just over 2 yrs ago.
Go home every couple of years to chase the sika

While there is lead in the air ,there is hope

IP Logged

ken
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
hi guys names ken i'm married with four kids mostly older ranging from 24 to 15 love my hunting but unfortunatly ca'nt get much done as i am working in an orchard down in cromwell and we are a tad busy at the moment with the cherry harvest but after harvest watch out

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #86 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
       Hi
Brian from U.H.old but still hunt a lot

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Reply #87 - Dec 17th, 2006 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
What orchard are you at Ken?

IP Logged

Shady

Reply #88 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hey all, I'm known universally as Shady... unfortunately no good story to go with the nickname!

Originally from Christchurch, I've lived up in Auckland for the last 8 years. Mostly hunt rabbits and possums on a grazing block my girfriend runs... where the most dangerous game are the horsey chicks Smiley In the gun safe I have a 10/22, old sporterized SMLE and a .308 which I'm hoping to put to use on the bigger stuff in the future - I'm pretty new to the 'big game' side of things and I'll be stoked when I finally put some venison in the freezer!

Great forum guys, keep up the good work and have a safe and happy Christmas.

IP Logged

northland_hunta

Reply #89 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Im Tom live on an orchard Kerikeri in the bay of islands. mostly possums and bunnys at tha moment but hopfully getting my .223 this week! do lots of duck and pheasant shooting and fresh and saltwater fishing. na your not the youngest areyoushaw im only 16!

IP Logged

AndyH

Reply #90 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Sorry barra, just got your message, we are going to be staying on the fringe of the Carngorms, just south of aveimore and inverness, a place called feshibridge I think   Cool

Where are you?  Would be great to hunt in the UK but I hear its a bit tricky to get into, and you have to pay the landowners loads for the privelege.  We dont realise how lucky we are in NZ till we see the way the rest of the world does it...

GTalk  
IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #91 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Hi, I'am Noel, born on a dairy farm in levin, served my time as a fitter and turner, left Levin at 23, married and lived in Kelston for 29 years.
Then off to Ozzie for 13 years as a design consulatant, looking after a bunch of engineers.
Retired to Waiuku about 3 years ago.
6 grandkids.
Hunted and shot deer, pigs, roos, goats, possums, rabbits, pheasents, ducks, quail and done a lot of pistol shooting, some trap.
Owned about 100 various guns, as or more intrested in messing about with firearms than shooting them, never more than 8 or 10 at 1 time.
Grandsons very keen and now take most of my time getting them going.
Mark my son wrote a book about the Piro-Piro area

IP Logged

sikaroar
Donor Member

Reply #92 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
my name cam, live in te awamutu, shoot almost anything that moves within reason, enjoy chasing sika round the kaimanawas and redskins everywhere else, In the gunsafe have got a .308, shotgun and .22

deadmeat is goodmeat

IP Logged

Jet
Forum Font

Reply #93 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Is that Cam thats m8s with Dean M?

It takes an animal to find an animal. All assets will deflate vs gold. Store of Value

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #94 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Roberts my name live in Upper Hutt. 50 next year so getting old. Spend more time as a armed tramper than hunting and still spend a fair bit of time wandering round the hills mainly the lower north Island.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

HerkDrvr
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 4:03am
Print Post  
I usually go by JD. I am currently stationed at the Air Force Academy here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have been hunting for as long as I can remember. I love any kind of hunting but find that bowhunting whitetails and elk are my favorite. I also love any kind of upland hunting as well, especially pheasants and quail. I also like to hunt ducks, geese and turkeys. Okay, so I like to hunt anything. I have 2 labs that are great hunters as well.
I used to be an avid shooter and reloader.  I used to shoot competitive skeet for a while. Unfortunately I find I have little time to do this as of late.
I am married to a wonderful girl from the South Island and have two great kids who were born there as well.
I have not yet had the opportunity to hunt in New Zealand but have had pleany of chances to fly fish. There is no better place to fish as far as I am concerned! I am planning on a trip down in the June time frame and hope to get a chance to hunt then.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here.

Cheers

IP Logged

Trapper
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Hi, my name is Stephen. Have been around since 2002 but don't frequent the forum as often as I used to. Self employed farm contractor, been in South Taranaki for the last 17 years. I sometimes wish I lived a bit closer to my beloved Ruahine Forest Park(2 and a half hour drive minimum) but you can't have everything you want in life! Have many interests, but other than my family and an obvious love of the outdoors, the only things I am really passionate about are old Holdens(see my avatar) and Liverpool Football Club. Strange combination I know, but hey, thats me. Wink

Anyway, I hope you guy's all have a great Christmas holiday. Will be cruizin over to Napier in the HK at new years to visit the bro and the summer Nats at Taupo.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #97 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
hello stephen glad to meet you.
sorry we didnt get it on this spring, but I have been too sick to take on our little treck mate  and Im far too drunk to do it tonight. Cheesy
i hope we can do some thing in the new year.
cheers to you and yours Smiley

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #98 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Theres a thought, bring out the wine Smiley

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #99 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Just ctracked the first can of christmas cheer. Cheesy Smiley.

While I am here.

The names Michael. Living just out of Hamilton after 16 odd years in Ak after growing up in Ruakaka. Married, 3 kids.
Pretty much only hunt Sika in the Kaimanawas. Did some duck shooting for a while.
I am a Contract Manager looking after electrial and air conditioning work. Hunt with a 708 and just bought a 308 as a "project rifle", I hope to make it a 338 or 358 one day.

Ah bugger it #2 Smiley

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #100 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
this is not the thread to talk shit on to the bar eh
I have to reload my sons comp tonight for the new spate of games he will recieve for Chrissie...so it will be fun since Ive had a few.
Mick we Sue and I were just talking about you ,is there anyting in particular you want to do when you get here .
I have got us some beers Grin in fact many beers,
on to the campfire eh. Shocked

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #101 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I will give you a call  later Smiley

Ah crap #3

IP Logged

Trapper
Ex Member

Reply #102 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony

Grin. Cheers mate.

Nov/Dec were bad months for me too. The shift was the biggest nightmare ever...

Feb/March sometime then, aye?? Things might have settled down by then.

Say hi to Sue and Nathan for me - and Mick when he gets there...  Cheesy

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #103 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
no sweat mate, just keep it all going up there man. Smiley

IP Logged

rua

Reply #104 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Hi im rua nickname ive had for 40 odd years.Iam in early 50s with 3 daughters, spend most of my free time flyfishin,  the hills seem to be gettin bigger these days,but still get my time in the bush even if its just for peace and solitude. Wink

IP Logged

Crochunter

All good things are wild
and free

Reply #105 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Gidday, middle name is aussie, late 50's and I cancelled "old" some years back. Got my second breath and still huntin hard out with some of me boys. Can't believe some of you jokas think you r gettin old at 50? Strewth, must be too much plonk and smokes, whatcha need is a young missus and a kill them be4 they kill you attitude.
Anyway this is a top site.

My favourite back-country fishing tackle - .243 lead spinner

IP Logged

datsane
Ex Member

Reply #106 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone
From Hamilton.
I haven't noticed but is there a bow hunting section on here?

IP Logged

gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Reply #107 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Nope, but a few guys on here do/have hunted with bows, so post away.   Cool

IP Logged

datsane
Ex Member

Reply #108 - Dec 23rd, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I have not been hunting with the bow yet Sad because of injury.  Hope to get into bow fishing, Goats, pigs and Deer (If I'm lucky).

Currently just sticking to the rifles or scatter gun.  Just need to find somewhere to do more shooting as the farm I head to at the moment the critters are getting to be slim pickings.

IP Logged

Jiranz1
Ex Member

Reply #109 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Yeah Hi,

I've just moved down from Palmerston North to Waimate.  I'm really keen get out and shoot some deer, so if anyone knows areas in the Timaru/Oamaru area I'ld been keen.  My wife is also keen to join.  We've both had licences since we were able and I've shot one deer up by lake Unknow many years ago now.  I went into the air force and my wife was in vet school for a while (just graduated).  As well as wanting to maintain active lifestyle we need some meat for the fridge!  Oh yeah, I finished a business degree after the RNZAF so we are both now at the start of 'something new'. 

The sooner we can get out and find something the better!  We'll start with a DOC office on monday   Roll Eyes

Lyndon

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #110 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah Hi,

I've just moved down from Palmerston North to Waimate.  I'm really keen get out and shoot some deer, so if anyone knows areas in the Timaru/Oamaru area I'ld been keen.  My wife is also keen to join.  

Crikey, a Waimo using a computer - you're obviously not a local!  Grin

Not sure if there are any other Waimate members on here, but there's a few of us from Oamaru.

Some good hunting handy to where you are, especially now the deer are back out on the tussock country - a fair bit of that is private country, so its a matter of getting permission. Pigs and wallabies are reasonably easy to find, farmers are keen to have those shot, and hopefully you'll catch the tahr and chamois bug, 'cos tahr at least are easy enough to find pretty close to home.

In Waimate, there's an active "Waimate Shooters Club" (hunting orientated) and in both Timaru and Oamaru there are branches of the NZDA. they'd be a good place to start too. DOC may be able to give you contacts for the Waimate Club, or I can put you in touch with the DA. Just PM or email me if I can help further.

Welcome aboard!

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

DAD
Donor Member

AKA:Gav AKA:Dough Boy

Reply #111 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Hi all, going through a bit of an identity crisis of late. Was Gav then changed my name to Dough Boy (dont ask why). My wife and I have just had our 1st child (boy) so I am not getting out as often as I used too. Havn't shot anything since the Clements Rd forum hunt but thats life. So please, call me DAD Smiley

Oh yeh, I'm from TeAwamutu and live in Hamilton.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2007 at 2:21pm by DAD »  

The only things i really need is water, a gun and rabbits.

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #112 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Dad is the second most important name you will ever mave mate, wear it with pride Wink

IP Logged

DAD
Donor Member

AKA:Gav AKA:Dough Boy

Reply #113 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hell yeh Whereami, for me life has just begun.

The only things i really need is water, a gun and rabbits.

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #114 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
whereami wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 4:56pm:
Dad is the second most important name you will ever mave mate

whats the first  Huh

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #115 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
number one is and some people are actually called husband or a affectional derivative of  , but mostly my call name is usually (hey useless prick) Grin

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #116 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
things are getting desperate here so Im off to shoot a hare or two tonight.
seen the goat shooting on tv makes my blood run cold seeing all that cowboy stuff Undecided

IP Logged

datsane
Ex Member

Reply #117 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
whereami wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:42pm:
things are getting desperate here so Im off to shoot a hare or two tonight.
seen the goat shooting on tv makes my blood run cold seeing all that cowboy stuff Undecided
Wasn't any very good shooting or commen sence going on there Shocked

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #118 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 10:32am
Print Post  
the goat shooting  was shameful really guys, not a good look for us at all.

IP Logged

JamesG
Ex Member

Reply #119 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Gidday, James here from Christchurch - Haven't done much hunting but keen as to get into it.

IP Logged

Rhys
Forum Font

Reply #120 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Tone wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:59am:
(One being a 16yr old Girl Undecided)

heh, single, pretty and interested in hunting? introduce me Tongue

I'm the same guy as on the last forum, deaf as a post but still able to shoot Smiley no need for muffs either Tongue

Live in either Hamilton or Kawhia Harbour depending on whether I'm working or taking time off.

Of course I'm compensating. If I could kill stuff at 200 meters with my dick, I wouldn't need a gun.

IP Logged

HuntIt
Ex Member

Reply #121 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Have just got home from being away for a while and saw that the site has changed over and some bugger has taken my user name 300WSM, so the new one isnt the old 300WSM, great new set up Alan.

IP Logged

Neil.

Reply #122 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Hello.
Another Newbie from Hamilton.

have been shooting for a while now, but keen to find some new places to go. especially having moved into the city, it's harder to find places to shoot.

Mostly using a .22, but have recently aquired a .223 and need somewhere with a bit more room to start playing with it properly.

also have a mossberg/maverick pump gun (20"BBl one), but hoping to swap this for a 12G U/O at some stage soon.

IP Logged

stork
Ex Member

Reply #123 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

The names Paul and I live near at Fernside near Rangiora in Canterbury.

Just getting in to hunting, have a Ruger .22 and am interested in getting out to shoot some rabbits and hares.

If you live in the area and would like some company next time you go out give me a shout.

IP Logged

Rhys
Forum Font

Reply #124 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Paul, PStarling from Lifestyleblock?

I first learnt about LSB from this site, someone posted alik to Anna2 rantign about machinegun culling ducks when it was only shottie pellets spashing up the water. Tongue

Of course I'm compensating. If I could kill stuff at 200 meters with my dick, I wouldn't need a gun.

IP Logged

stork
Ex Member

Reply #125 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Yes, Someone recently objected to seeing a dead deer and a link to this site appeared so I joined in

IP Logged

Jiranz1
Ex Member

Reply #126 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Crikey, a Waimo using a computer - you're obviously not a local!  Grin

Thanks for the info and no I'm not a genuine Waimo   Cheesy  We moved here because there was some 'affordable' land.  I've heard there is some good fishing around Kakanui so maybe will try that (fishing) too some day soon.

IP Logged

Jiranz1
Ex Member

Reply #127 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Dec 30th, 2006 at 2:47pm:
[quote author=Oscar128 link=1163071022/105#111 date=1167441949]Yeah Hi,

In Waimate, there's an active "Waimate Shooters Club" (hunting orientated) and in both Timaru and Oamaru there are branches of the NZDA. they'd be a good place to start too. DOC may be able to give you contacts for the Waimate Club, or I can put you in touch with the DA. Just PM or email me if I can help further.

Welcome aboard!

I was going to "PM" but I'm not allowed until I have 5 posts so that has given me time to figure out how to use "quote" correctly.  I figure I've got it this time.  Well I've got both Geraldine and Dunedin DOC offices posting out permits so that is a great start to the new year.  Next I'll have to check to see if the rifle unused for the last three years is still good to go and do a google search for the Waimate Shooters Club.

IP Logged

HeadHunter
Forum Font

Reply #128 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Hi im Sam im from Palmerston North. Been hunting for bout 10months , want a stag for my first deer. I was at taratahi farming school last year and now im chilling for a couple months hunting and cathcing up with m8s b4 a start another coarse in march. I also gill in time doing motocross, enduro's and trail rides on my crf250 r
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 1:11pm by HeadHunter »  

IP Logged

gummie
Ex Member

Reply #129 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Ahah! So this is where everyone has gotten to. I didn't realise how long it'd been since I visited now we're all on a flash new site!

I'm gummie, was gummie, in Hamilton - and good to see a few others from here on 'here'. I'm usually logged in as gumboot412 on other forums because gumboot is my real nickname though it's usually shortened to gummie so you guys are unique in having me on here as such. Usually read more than type, I spy a few familiar names on here from last time round but haven't yet had a good delve into the posts. Cool

IP Logged

pigb8
Ex Member

Reply #130 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Names ben im 18 i hail form matamata in the old wakatu "Waikato" regularly hunt the Kaimais but theres no deer up there  Wink as iv read on here a number of times.  Have a 3yr old GSP for my deer dog shes goin awsume.

IP Logged

Sika Stag
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

if not let rip.

Reply #131 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Hi, Pigb8. Welcome to the forum. I see you are already planing some hunts down the kaweka's. Those dates don't suit me but I am sure we could head down some time for a hunt. Wink

IP Logged

pigb8
Ex Member

Reply #132 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. keen to get to know that area a bit better so mould be good to go with someone with a bit of knoledge Smiley

IP Logged

landahoy
Forum Senior

Where are those bloody
Deer!

Reply #133 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Hi My names Larry and im a Sagitarius.I wana say a big hello to alllll the women in the world.Float ,float on.
Sorry couldnt resist it.
Apologies to the Comodores too. Smiley

Pork no problem ,venison big problem!
IP Logged

yawn
Ex Member

a setter is better!

Reply #134 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
grew up in marlborough sounds on a small farm, hunting  with parents was a case of income as much as anything,dusk light, daylight, spotlight, used to see big mobs of reds then 20 or more. Lots of pigs caught  with the farm dogs.Moved to nelson and  didnt hunt for 20 years or so, My boys 17 and keen so the gun safe is filling up.Having a ball reloading
and trying to remember how to walk again.

IP Logged

mustang_roberts
Forum Senior

Red meat ain't bad for
you, green fuzzy meat
is.

Reply #135 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Grew up hunting from the time I could first make a bow and arrows. Hunted rats at the local dump with slug guns, trapped possums, and went from that to spotlighting and on to bigger game beginning with goats.
Done a bit of pig hunting and had a shot or two at deer.
Pretty mch gave it up when I was with my ex but now I'm with my new partner she's a lot more supportive so I'm getting back into it again. We recently moved down to Wellington so I'm looking for new mates and trying to get into the swing of things down here.

Been using this name on websites for years now and some of you may have seen it in other places.

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

IP Logged

bullterrier
Ex Member

Reply #136 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Hi - I'm James and I live in England.... at the moment. All being well I'm moving to NZ in July  Smiley as my other half is a Kiwi and having been over a couple of times it seems like the right thing to do! I've been hunting/shooting since I was 13 - now 38 -  but here its rabbits with a 12 bore. Last time I was in NZ I went deer and pig hunting - got a small porker, and a small spiker. Both went in her folks freezer, and boy did I feel good bringing it in!!! Her dad worked as a deer culler in the 60s and was pretty happy about it, not having had wild pork for a long time. And I think she liked her bloke bringing in the goods...
For work I'm a cop - on an Armed Offender type group. I know lots of people seem to have a few ups and downs with the police, and there's not much I can say to that... speak to you later..

IP Logged

datsane
Ex Member

Reply #137 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi - I'm James and I live in England.... at the moment. All being well I'm moving to NZ in July  Smiley as my other half is a Kiwi and having been over a couple of times it seems like the right thing to do! I've been hunting/shooting since I was 13 - now 38 -  but here its rabbits with a 12 bore. Last time I was in NZ I went deer and pig hunting - got a small porker, and a small spiker. Both went in her folks freezer, and boy did I feel good bringing it in!!! Her dad worked as a deer culler in the 60s and was pretty happy about it, not having had wild pork for a long time. And I think she liked her bloke bringing in the goods...
For work I'm a cop - on an Armed Offender type group. I know lots of people seem to have a few ups and downs with the police, and there's not much I can say to that... speak to you later..
Welcome when you get here.  God knows we need more coppers here.

What part of the country you going to?  May I be so rude

IP Logged

TVR17
Ex Member

Reply #138 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I'm Darin. I live in Christchurch & study commerce & languages at Canterbury uni. I've been hunting since I was quite young, but mainly small game. I've been out after pigs & deer but have had no luck so far. Just found this forum last week & so far its been a gold mine of useful bits & peices. TVR17 is just random letters & numbers chosen for a username for some internet thing ages ago, it's always stuck at the back of my head now when I need a new one.

I enjoy hunting and have had an enthusiasm for firearms since I was young, I like getting out there & seeing this country of ours. Other than hunting & beer (and couch burning with the ENSOC boys...), I spend a fair bit of time nerding on the internet and playin games on PC/Xbox when i'm supposed to be studying.

Always keen for a hunt around the Canterbury area, its great to meet new people to go shooting with.

IP Logged

popgun
Forum Senior

No more beersies for you...

Reply #139 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Hey all Wade here  Smiley Popgun is a flow on from some stick I was given for purchasing a .243 as my first rifle a few years back... it tends to do the trick though Wink I am a Hawke's Bay lad by trade but have spent a bit of time in Chch at uni where I met a mad bastard that was into a bit of deer hunting here and there. Got bitten by the bug and have been crook ever since Smiley Done pretty much all my hunting in the southern alps on both sides, for deer mostly but the odd chamois has been skittled. I have also chased a few pigs around the Bay with the bro but a move to Pert put the kybosh on that. I'm in Wellington now tapping keys and drinking coffee to pay the bills but am still mad keen on hunting and fishing so I get down south for a shot ( the in-laws and a wee R22 are both on call down there so it takes care of the better half and the expeditions at the same time! Wink) and back to the Bay for a fish (thanks to the old mans need for a boat!) as often as possible.

Always keen to see new country and meet new people and the forum seems like a good place to do it... plus I can live my hunting life vicariously through the photo boards!

Take it easy.

When you hear something, you will forget it.
When you see something, you will remember it.
But, not until you do something, will you understand it.

IP Logged

steveh054
Forum Senior

Rugers are Shit

Reply #140 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys
I'm Steve and I come from Southland (Tuatapere) been hunting since I was big enough to walk. Shot my first deer when I was 10yrs. Worked on the choppers for a couple of years (wouldn't have the nerve for it now I reckon) Hunted around the South Island and Aussie since I left school and a safari to Africa a few years back. I've been reloading for 38 years and still gotta ask people like Zeeriverat for info.

IP Logged

Baxter
Ex Member

Reply #141 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hi, Just chose Baxter as its my dogs name,easy to remember, Names Colin and live in New Plymouth,shift worker,mainly into trout fishing but want to get a deer before time slips away. Am hoping to get it in Nelson lakes area as I have a bach down there, enjoy the forum, lots of interesting reading.

I must think the same as everyone else I must think the same as everyone else I must think the same as everyone else........

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #142 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Just love the avatar Popgun Grin Thats a bit of me

IP Logged

Sika Stag
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

if not let rip.

Reply #143 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
steveh054 wrote on Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:30pm:
Hi Guys
I'm Steve and I come from Southland (Tuatapere) been hunting since I was big enough to walk. Shot my first deer when I was 10yrs. Worked on the choppers for a couple of years (wouldn't have the nerve for it now I reckon) Hunted around the South Island and Aussie since I left school and a safari to Africa a few years back. I've been reloading for 38 years and still gotta ask people like Zeeriverat for info.

Great to have all you new guys on board. Welcome. Cool

Steve with a historly like yours  am sure you will have some real gems of tips and advice.
keep coming back and we would all love some photo's and stories from the passed to.

regards

Waldo

IP Logged

scroat
Ex Member

I Love my second wife(currently)

Reply #144 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Marks the name. some of you already know me or off me and no doubt will have run into me(drive around in a yellow hilux with an unusal back end--- its not exactly an undercover wagon, cant get away with any thing when im in it)   It would seem thah Hairy tought my son (or not) in taupo .who has just moved up to Kumeu AKL with me where ive been stuck for the last two years---- hate it like hell up here  was in tauranga(for 10 odd years)  before that (ps there are no deer in the kaimais dont go up there... there are snakes tooo)
lived in taupo for 10 years before that, did a stint with pest board while i was there.
always been keen on the usual kiwi type hunting and fishing. tend to go away a bit and will even more now that mini me is with me(corey---aka flannel pants... a lot of you will know him if you have been up to mark bridgmans for ammo ect.) Wink

IP Logged

bullterrier
Ex Member

Reply #145 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Datsane..... Hopefully I'll be somewhere around Wanganui/Palmy as her folks live in between. Still waiting on the confirmation though....

IP Logged

popgun
Forum Senior

No more beersies for you...

Reply #146 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I aim to please mate... but very rarely deliver!!! Grin

TJ wrote on Jan 9th, 2007 at 9:18pm:
Just love the avatar Popgun Grin Thats a bit of me

When you hear something, you will forget it.
When you see something, you will remember it.
But, not until you do something, will you understand it.

IP Logged

Anthony
Ex Member

Reply #147 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Hi the name's Anthony (Obviously) , Sneaky Petes mate. I am in the process of getting my firearms licence and buying some rifles of my own after years of using other peoples and bashing the shit out of petes stock. Cry I'm a long time rabbit and possum shooter and have recently been introduced to big game hunting and have decided to get in to it myself.

IP Logged

UrticaFerox
Ex Member

Reply #148 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
The name's Tony and I currently live in Maraetai. The nickname comes from my almost supernatural ability to find (and get bitten by) the dreaded Ongaonga.  Smiley I enjoy chasing reds, mostly in the Whirinaki, Te Hoe & Waipunga. Worked for the NZFS many years ago and was, for a while,  part of the gang that cut the Opureke track (Waipunga - Matakuhia). Sadly, the track is now completely stuffed, courtesy of last winter's snowfall. Glad to be part of a great forum.

Cheers,

T.

IP Logged

excalibur

woot

Reply #149 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Kia Ora folks
I'm from Pirongia and I am a draughtsperson. Soon I will be starting a music degree at wintec. I'm married and have no kids yet. I like fishing and tramping and taking photos. Goin deerstalking on saturday so hopefully i'll be able to post some pics up next week. maybe even of a deer if we're lucky!

look forward to meeting some people.
God bless
Dean  Smiley

hello

IP Logged

STALKER

Reply #150 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
howzit Dean. Theres a few of us that live close by- Teawamutu and Te Pahu. Where are you headed this weekend?

IP Logged

Rhys
Forum Font

Reply #151 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I know pirongia quite well. usually stop there on my way from hamilton to the farm for an ice cream or coffee at the shop. nice area. You see any goats on the mountain?

IP Logged

xtreme kaos
Ex Member

Reply #152 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
trent's the name.mainly like chasin hogs,so try to leave the moose alone[unless there nice an easy  Wink]   based in the hills north hawkes bay..sweet

IP Logged

xdoolan7
Just Joined

Reply #153 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
hey all. live in ashburton havn't done much hunting in the canterbury area done a wee bit mostly down south. Hunted deer and pigs am looking forward to hopefully goin after thar and chamois in the near future, if family life allows(just had our first baby, sleep patterns have changed!) lookin forward to learning a lot from u guys. goin to stewart island in april sould be great. anyway happy hunting all ;

IP Logged

misty
Donor Member

Reply #154 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Hey People, My name is Johnny and I am from Canterbury. Am 26 and have hunted since I was old enough to follow the old man around. Spent two years full time hunting rabbits but traded it in for a degree and corporate life.
Try to get out hunting/fishing atleast once a week . Favourite game animal would be red stags followed by thar but Im not too fussy.
Pretty keen on fly fishing back country rivers also.

cheers

IP Logged

deer hunter

Reply #155 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Giday, Dave here. Love ma hunting. Anything from deer to hares possums ducks you name it ill kill it. Love to have a go at the chamois. usually out between 2 and 4 times a week.
Drive diggers and trucks for a job. Father son business. Been there 8 years now.
Anyone know of any good jobs going in chch let us know.

good shot is a killing shot

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #156 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Names Tussock, Iv fathered a hundred million sandflies

IP Logged

Duck Gunner
Global Forum Guide

www.FishNhunt.co.nz

Reply #157 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Hey Tussock, where have you been ??.  Are you in Fiordland Yet ?. Smiley

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #158 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Been in since the 3rd of Jan, just got out. Didnt smell good.

IP Logged

UrticaFerox
Ex Member

Reply #159 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Tussock1 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:16pm:
Names Tussock, Iv fathered a hundred million sandflies

G'day Tussock.

G'day Tussock. I wondered where they all came from  Huh

I'm responsible for furthering the spread of hook-grass, personally.  Wink

T.

IP Logged

Duck Gunner
Global Forum Guide

www.FishNhunt.co.nz

Reply #160 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Tussock1 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:21pm:
Been in since the 3rd of Jan, just got out. Didnt smell good.

How did your Waterproof coat hold out ?.

IP Logged

MADNESS
Ex Member

Reply #161 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
welcome back tussock did you see many deer in there or were you to busy working  ?

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #162 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Didnt need to, only rained twice in twenty days. Clagged up a bit. Diddnt hold back when it did decide to rain eithr. Good coat, does its job.

IP Logged

Duck Gunner
Global Forum Guide

www.FishNhunt.co.nz

Reply #163 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Did you manage to head off on a hunt, or were you working ?.

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #164 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
In murchison mountains, so no hunting allowed. Hats off to the cullers in their too they have done a really good job (and it cant have been easy) the Takahe have the run of the place in the grass department. Shooting on the next trip Wink

IP Logged

Shelds
Ex Member

Reply #165 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 9:24am
Print Post  
My name is Sheldon (shelds), I live in north canterbury. Love hunting been into it for a couple of years now. Mainly pigs but will give anything a crack. I have 2 pig dogs, Sinbad an old boy hand me down from my brother is a good finder bailer and will get in there and hold too if with other holders, and Black ass my pup whos showing some promise, looking to be a long range finder which could be a problem Undecided, she gets right amongst the action to.

Im a dairy farmer at the mo but looking at a change in the near future.

IP Logged

Yorkshire Lad
Ex Member

Reply #166 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Just joined the site .
Only just landed in the country before christmas.
Just moved to Dunedin area.
And just picked up the two shotguns I brought in from the UK via Auckland airport.
Oh yeah and just bought my first spining rod.

I am from Yorkhsire , England which probably means very little to most of you ( apart from its the country you're always beating at rugby !! )  For the last 7 years lived in a rural area and enjoyed driven and walked up gameshooting. Feeling homesick as i have missed the uk game season and had good reports from mates. My old shoot syndicate has had one of the best years ever.

Shot all the english gamebirds , and had a crack at driven grouse ( good fun ). Did very limited duck shooting and used to like to break a clay or two out of season.

I cant wait to get a firearms licence and get out with the shotguns and hope to get it sorted in time for the duck season. Would love to get into deer and other large game in this country. Its like a dream for a sportsman ( but will miss seeing the pheasents about and the chance of shooting snipe and woodcock.)

Only problem i have is not knowing how to go about shooting duck ( as in access / permission / quarry habits etc ) and no real outdoor skills for tramping round mountains after large game. Someone at work went on about enteringballots for the duck shooting areas around the coast Brighton area but didnt go into details ???

I now realise how lucky i was to have all my old shooting contacts in the UK ( most of which were gamekeepers / farmers / landowners - made getting some osrt of shooting easy )

Any advice welcome ,, great to be in this new country with the wife and son. I like you kiwis ( well most that ive met !)

Jono.

IP Logged

TOP_PREDATOR
Forum Font

Lord Ripon Apprentice

Reply #167 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Welcome, Shore Gunner that posts here is from Doncanster(sp?) up your way.

I can't really help with bird shooting in south island,north island i can.

Ask in the game bird,someone will take you out duck shooting.

Driven Pheasant shoots are just starting to take off here now Cool

To my deep mortification, my father once said to me, ‘You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat-catching and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.’ Charles Darwin
IP Logged

SKIN
Forum Senior

Reply #168 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Wasn't going to add to this but guess would probably be rude not to.
My name is Chris & the nick has been with me as long as I can recall.Live in the sometimes sunny
Bay of Plenty.Enjoy my out doors recreation & try to spend as much of my spare time doing that as possible.Enjoy working the dog weather that is on ducks or now that I've got him started on deer. I work as a Meat Processor here in my home town & handy knowing how to keep a knife sharp at times.

IP Logged

Yorkshire Lad
Ex Member

Reply #169 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Cheeers M.F ,

Yes doncaster was in one of the Yorkshire counties ( not mine though a rough , rough place !!!! )

Ill put something on the other thread.

IP Logged

gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Reply #170 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Yorkshire Lad what do you do in Dunedin?

IP Logged

Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Reply #171 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Sneaky ,

Boring civil servant stuff..

IP Logged

Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Reply #172 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Damn , should have added had to re register hence slight name change. 

Jon

IP Logged

Ernie
Donor Member

Bugger. never trust your
safety catch

Reply #173 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Hi Jono,
Where'd ya live . I'm in Market Weighton and the wifes in Dunedin at the mo waiting for me and the kids to get there. this is a top site and these fellas are the best blokes around for info and tall tales Wink are you the same bloke I told about the site off ex-pats??
All the best and hope to meet up when I get down there

GTalk  
IP Logged

Linz

Reply #174 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Hi all names nick and i come from southland live on a farm but currently training to be a diesel mechanic. I work for a firm near tuatapere with a large forestry gear fleet so get to see alot of the bush blocks round southland and otago on my travels so i get to know some good spots Wink plus the bushman can be very knowledgeable  Have hunted ducks rabbits and the like from a very young age but just starting to get into big game. This site will be a great resorce to me and it would be great to maybe meet some of you guys at some stage.

Nick

IP Logged

Kauri Bushman
Ex Member

Reply #175 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Tim is my name, make my living from trees, got a farm up north, into my hunting from the start, rural born and bred, my grandfather hunted furs in Canada and my old man hunts as well, I started on blow guns, bows, traps, dogs, slug guns and shottys and rifles as soon as I could. Local hunting is mainly rats stoats cats coons rabbits hares pheasant turkeys goats pigs and wild cattle. I get around a bit with my work and play and am keen on the big bush and bowling stags as well. I always have my shooter with me and hunt every day for the table (we live like kings). I'm also in to trapping and skinning tanning and sewing, I bark tan all the best pelts and I have made many fun and useful items for the family like cat hats and rat gloves and pencil cases for school, stoat bikini for the mrs, as well as possum bed spreads etc. Have a go at virtually anything and hve found the internet very useful to find out about the stuff I am into and clearly like you all this is the reason I am here.

IP Logged

7mm08

out there doing it ....
be rude not to !!!!

Reply #176 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:55pm
Print Post  

I live in Cambridge ,hunted for a few years,took up hunting at age 38 ,now at 45 .The major part of my hunting is in the Kaimais, Inlaws live in Matamata, so I can drop the family off with them and head up the hill for a armed tramp [It"s all I seem to do up there...
My favourite deer to hunt is the Fallow,[reds to] am keen to try new areas
My rifle is a Rem 7mm08, I sea fish when time/money allows
always keen for a hunt

never mind the dogs ...be aware of  the kids

IP Logged

Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Reply #177 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Ernie ,

Live in mosgiel which is aboout 15 mns drive out of dunedin I will PM you my email if we can help with the move let us know.  We are still waiting for a chair to sit on any week now a container should land.

Yeah that would have been me off expats.

Hope the trip goes okay.

Bushman,

Possum bikinis , what did the mrs think ??

IP Logged

Kauri Bushman
Ex Member

Reply #178 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:39am
Print Post  
She loves wearing furs especially the un pc ones like cat and rat and looks real good in them, I will post a pic when i work out how. Wink

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #179 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Live in Nelson, grew up in Fiordland then Canterbury.  50 yrs young.  Heaps of go in me, fitter than average cos I work in the outdoors as a leadership trainer.  Chamois by far my favourite hunting as I love the alpine environment and the opportunities for extended stalks to outwit animals often first spotted some distance away.  Now use a .270 as my son owns the older 7x57 which I still prefer.
Chase deer/pigs for meat and regularly get a dose of backcountry trout fishing(fan since age 20).

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Sambar_searcher
Ex Member

Reply #180 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Hi all!
Aussie hunter that loves NZ, Have a brother living in Auckland so try to hunt and fish it as much as i can!

My main quarry here in Aus is Sambar hence the name, love the big hikes in the high country, no better way to see those spots most are to lazy to get to. shoot alot of foxes and cats in the irrigation country around home also. New to the site and keen to get amongst it, so don't be afraid to sling a few questions and comments my way.

IP Logged

hntnfshnfkn
Ex Member

Reply #181 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Hi . Names Gary. Live in the South East Waikato. Wife & 3. Run my own small garage door business. Can't get enough the the outdoor stuff but ususal story never enough days in the month. In a great place to do so I might add so bloody tough when its on your back doorstep. Not far to many areas, and I must say i have walked a lot of miles and hope to do so for a few more years. Love to hunt pigs and deer and have been known to put a small dent in the bunny population every now and again. Haven't relly done the duck/bird hunting thing but could easily be persuaded. Love the smell of gunpowder on a frosty morning. Keen to oin the NZDA and learn some more. Still waiting for the elusive stag. Maybe this year....

IP Logged

No8dog
Just Joined

Where else but NZ

Reply #182 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:24pm