This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Canadian canoes for fishing? (Read 6240 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Canadian canoes for fishing?
Dec 27th, 2021 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Is anyone else using a canadian canoe for fishing and how do you mount rod holders and things like that on it?

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Canadian canoes for fishing?
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I have used a canadian canoe but not for fishing.  think they would be a bit tippy, if you hooked a big one!
What kind of canoe have you got? I have been looking for another one to buy. I took my old one across Te Anau and around Lake manapouri. Good for camping trips.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Ive just ordered a tandem kayak from viking. The sit on type. Rod holders etc built in.
I see it as the all round option in that can take it fishing, but also stick a shooter up front and they are built for carrying a decent load.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2021 at 10:02am
Print Post  

I got a Jackson sit-on with an outrigger that carries a 3.6HP outboard I use to get over the other side for hunting - and I use it for fishing.
It's light enough I can pull right up off the beach so it doesn't get thumped when the wind turns and the waves pound in - my old tin boat used to fill up with gravel I'd have to shovel out.
I use it for fishing too, and sometimes I pull the outrigger off and just paddle it ......... unless I'm going 'way over there', or it's blowing.
It's got all the gear on it, rod holders (seven of them), radio, depth sounder, lights for seeing what you're doing at night.

The only thing with those is you get the real sense you're gonna get biffed off when it roughs up - and out on the lake there's no real getting away from that.
Can take a while to get home when it gets nasty - and you get a little bit scared - it took me ages to get back on that thing, and that was only practicing in calm water.

The good thing is - they don't sink.

I thought about putting a motor on a Canadian, it's about 9 k's to the other side and was looking on TM when I saw this - so just bought it and have been really happy with it  Smiley

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
You probably did the right thing, a motor on a canadian canoe is dodgy. Too much weight at the back, plus you will turn yourself over pretty easy with a motor! Without having a paddle in the water a canoe is much less stable.

I am curious about sit on top kayaks because they look stable, look like they could carry a pack? But being so open to the water worries me. A search and rescue guy told me they were deathtraps for people getting hyperthermia.
I am fairly experienced with canoes and am on the lookout for another one. but I cant find one to buy down here, they are not common.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
As far as Hypothermia goes. Its just about clothing choice. Im just getting into the adventure, sea kayaks and Have picked up a tandem, luckily only days before the factory burnt down. Its a sit on top and extremely stable!
Tis is a report of an incident involving a couple of my mates.
Its worth reading, and taking on board the preparedness part.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/sea-rescue-kayakers-drift-8km-off-north-islands-we...

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2022 at 11:31pm
Print Post  

Yeah, I can see that scenerio happening quite easily - I've paddled furiously into a headwind with whitecaps and gone absolutely nowhere. I'm on a lake and was able to head into shore - but with the shore some distance away I can see someone getting into trouble with wet, cold, exhaustion .......... and so on.

A following sea is scary, I've had my boat corkscrewing in whitecaps on the lake and I reckon the only reason I didn't go over was because of the outrigger and the angle I was taking the waves. I got no joy from that, but a big body of water can rear up in minutes - so it pays to have a good idea of what the day is gonna bring.

I can load gun and pack inside the hull - and even a good bit of venison should I ever shoot one. While it's a single seater similar to the yellow one in the article, I often pop my son (63kg) on the big plastic 'lunchbox' on the back (just behind the driver) and we'll often go over the other side - just cos it's nice over there, and it handles that okay.

The downside to my outrigger is - if the motor packs up she's almost impossible to paddle.
I got a lot to learn with this boat, I don't think I'd take her out to sea - I think I'd want to be a bit stronger and fitter for that ......... and I expect I'd want company.

Yeah - I love mine, but I do keep an eye on that forecast ........  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards