This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Finally got a deer. Ontario Canada. (Read 2175 times)
Jimbag
Forum Font

Finally got a deer. Ontario Canada.
Dec 2nd, 2021 at 8:27am
Print Post  
The whole month of Oct. Bow hunting saw one deer. The first two weeks of Nov. Our shotgun hunt no deer. Second day of black powder saw eight whitetails and harvested a 10 pointer. My drought is over. Its hung up in our shed waiting to be skinned and butchered, lots of meat on this one.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Finally got a deer. Ontario Canada.
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2021 at 5:27pm
Print Post  

Congratulations - but you need to tell us more than that .............
What species of deer; in the bush or open paddock; what calibre of gun; caplock, flintlock, inline; real blackpowder or a substitute; range ............

Give us the story - and possibly a photo if you can do magic on this site

I like a good story  Smiley

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Have a camper on 175 acre farm about 15 minutes from home. In the past we would have seen a minimum of 10 deer per day on this farm located in a 10 sq. kilometre parcel of land. In Oct. during the bow hunt I spent three days a week using three different stands on different baited spots on the farm, an open meadow, over a field of winter wheat and a stand in a very wet swamp. Bait consisted of apples and bags of corn and molasses. Only saw one whitetail deer the whole month the only type of deer in our province. First two weeks of Nov. again three more days a week morning and evening hunts never saw a deer which had gone nocturnal as every night the bait would have been eaten by a few deer a load raccoons chipmunks and blue jays. Nov. 29th black powder season opened I use a Remington 700 ML 50 caliber gun. Up at 4 am had coffee  and to the winter wheat field I went in the stand  2 hours before sunup 6 inches of snow on the ground. Five after 6 in the morning a doe and a fawn left the tree line to a bait pile too dark to get a shot. They let and went back into the trees but came back out to the bait still to dark to pick up in my scope. the same night same stand just before dark got down and walked to another open field and there were 4 deer in the field 200 yds. away, next morning no deer. Evening came back to the stand but got down early and went to the field where saw the deer and there were eight deer 4 to far away to shoot and 4 along the fence line where I was standing they were coming towards me a doe two fans and a buck chasing the doe. They got close enough and started to head back into the bush about 30 yds. away. Fired at the buck and watched him run into the bush. Waited 10 min. and went to the spot I shot him found a slight trace of blood followed his tracks in the snow and the blood spray was getting larger went about 100 hundred yds. into the the bush and found him dead on the ground. Dragged him back to the field went and got my Quad and then dragged him back to my camp. !0 point buck about 200 lbs. Its now hung in my shed waiting for me to take the hide off and let it hang for a few days before I process it. So the final report is over spent about 225 $ on corn and shot the deer in a spot not baited after all. I hope this paints a more complete picture of my season. Jim.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 7:12am
Print Post  

Cool - I never knew Remington made a muzzleloader so I looked that one up and see they're good for out over 200 yards. Probably boot like a bastard to get that range I imagine.
I shot whitetail down on Srewart Island and they were small animals - a 200 pounder sounds huge.

American hunting fascinates me, I used to watch a bloke on Utube,  I think his name was Royer and he still hunted fairly open bush blocks with a traditional sidelock - but I haven't watched him for quite a long time now.

Thanks for that - I got quite a good 'picture' of it  Smiley

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Kicks no more than a 20 gauge shotgun.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2021 at 12:21pm
Print Post  

Are you shooting RB out of that - and what powder charge ??

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Dont know what rb is I use 3 cubes of powder the max. would try the 150 to 200 but when you only fire the gun 3 or 4 times a year I donot think I would hit anything at that range.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2021 at 8:38am
Print Post  

That sounds like 777, which I've only ever heard about - don't know if you can get it here ...............
'RB' is round ball, America's favourite blackpowder projectile - at least in traditional muzzleloaders. Got a suspicion 'inlines' shoot something else ..............
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2021 at 3:37pm by SF91 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards