This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic north island , new to trout uni student rotorua area (Read 2375 times)
willy
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

north island , new to trout uni student rotorua area
Oct 1st, 2021 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
my girl is an ecology management student at our local uni ,

she may have scored a job over the  uni holidays  at rotos big forestry high tec institute ,

shes totally new to trout fishing has a telescopic spinning  outfit for her tramping,  kiwi counting bitten mentoring, kaka saddle back and weta what evers , 

yes all you  fish/ game rangers on here she packs beetles and bugs  Wink Grin all the time

whats the story on the rotorua lakes streams,

the story on what she should be try for her first trout  spinners / softbaits   
is 8 lb nylon  leader ok to use with softbait

the fly fishing  is some thing she can take up later when she gets the bug ,  so starting her of spinning

i under stand no scented softbaits

as we are salt fisher persons we know stuff all about regs  / hows  what to use  wheres better to try and what to do  about the fresh fishery

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Re: north island , new to trout uni student rotorua area
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
gess  42 of you read the post but no pointers

what about for trout on softbait  is a nylon leader ok

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
gess  42 of you read the post but no pointers

what about for trout on softbait  is a nylon leader ok  should be called hide behind rock mud fishing

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
G'day Willy.
This fishing forum has been very quiet for a while now.
Sorry I can't help you with any information on spin fishing the Rotorua area. But you could go on the Fish and Game web site for the eastern region and you could pick up some tips from there. Or Youtube might be able to help with some pointers.
Good luck.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:35am
Print Post  
yea cool as , we will work it out ,  sent the kid of doing field trips this week  they are trying to catch up on all the field trips / work there uni class has missed out on with covid  lock downs  gone to coromandel  in the bush some where  and theres a river close by that is supposed to have fish in so being a uni student dad got pressured into buying the license  Sad so hopefully she may see a fish , all good  , in some of her mothers tribal lands there so no one should be able to complain to much  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Mate, don't post anything on the fishing section on the 1st October and expect a reply!  Grin

Rotorua area has a massive amount of very different water and fishing types to experience, although you will be limited if just spinning and softbaiting.
You can spin is some lakes, but not others, same with streams.
Check the local regs with F&G

If shes that into bugs, then fishing with flies will be her thing at some point!
might as well start to learn while in the area.

Get her to walk the nongotahaha stream and start watching fish and their behaviour etc.  also walk the lake edges near stream mouths, there is always some activity, even just chat to locals.
New young fishermen/women are always able to get better reaction and advice from the old buggers

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Nomads wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 3:50pm:
Mate, don't post anything on the fishing section on the 1st October and expect a reply!  Grin

Rotorua area has a massive amount of very different water and fishing types to experience, although you will be limited if just spinning and softbaiting.
You can spin is some lakes, but not others, same with streams.
Check the local regs with F&G

If shes that into bugs, then fishing with flies will be her thing at some point!
might as well start to learn while in the area.

Get her to walk the nongotahaha stream and start watching fish and their behaviour etc.  also walk the lake edges near stream mouths, there is always some activity, even just chat to locals.
New young fishermen/women are always able to get better reaction and advice from the old buggers

thanks for the info and all yes , but she did not get the job good on her for try we think they  are most likely employing locally, shes good with that ,

we are not far from the rotorua area  so at some stage  will get over that way cheers for info

and yes i think it will be good for her to learn about the fresh water fishery

now found an old / wifes /  i think glass killwell
10 weight fly rod and bits  her reel has 3 spools  what sort of fly lines would you all recommend  we put on them  have some old fly lines  floating and maybe sinking

is fluro  tipplet better than nylon

on the cheap here Cheesy

i may try a bit of the old  yea mud fishing my self  this spring  Grin

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 9:43am
Print Post  
willy wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:35am:
yea cool as , we will work it out ,  sent the kid of doing field trips this week  they are trying to catch up on all the field trips / work there uni class has missed out on with covid  lock downs  gone to coromandel  in the bush some where  and theres a river close by that is supposed to have fish in so being a uni student dad got pressured into buying the license  Sad so hopefully she may see a fish , all good  , in some of her mothers tribal lands there so no one should be able to complain to much  Grin Grin Grin Grin

no fish , but she says she tried  quite a bit Roll Eyes

all good maybe next time 

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2021 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
do have a few good friends that are  old hand top class fresh fishermen , i saw one today so  going to take all this old gear  of the wifes i have round to him and sort it out , that will be a start, 

be interesting to see if i can get to tag along some time with some of them  Grin we will see

also went into Hamills here  and picked up some 10lb trace  they are good one thing im finding is the shop keeps trout guys are giving good solid advice i like that ,
a wooly bugger in  olive green  plus some soft baits  , we are getting there a little bit  at a time covering the bases for a first mud fish .
so one is one day

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards