This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fine little bunny shoot.. (Read 3645 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Fine little bunny shoot..
Sep 12th, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Lovely calm evening last night in Cantab so out to a farm near Christchurch on way to Akaroa.  We were spotlighting from the truck with maxtochs - a team of four guys with shottie, 223 and 22 magnum.  A delightful 4 hours wandering in the still conditions across couple of thousand acres, during which we popped 55 hares and rabbits.  A very pleasant evening ... boys home with smiles. 

Looking forward to Tekapo ..   Wink

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Re: Fine little bunny shoot..
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
We were out doing pretty much the same thing here in the CNI. Only a much smaller block. Yes, temp was just right and not a breath of wind, and just the right amount of moonlight. Took out 19 hares from one 6Ha paddock last weekend, and bugger me if there was not 7 more there this weekend. So down to 3 left this time around. No doubt they will breed up again and by next weekend there'll be a dozen more Roll Eyes

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Good work. Smiley Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I had and early morning sorte and snotted 45 before got light. Got out to open 1st gate without head lamp on and on the frozen muddy ground slipped into a deep puddle before gate. Full swan dive, shoes, pants, up to hips full dripping wet. Got back into truck, turned heating up full... for a dampish couple of hours.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Had a gate misadventure myself when spotlighting last night. Got out to open it and it had a rusted hook.  I'm pressing hard on the wee hook pivot and leaning all over it in the dark and accidentally said hello to the electric fence.  WHAP!! ...Dear God these things are wound up these days.  Gave me a hell of bolt - not like the piddly things on the farms when I was a kid.  Truckmates thought it was funny for some reason.. Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Mate those things are ''hot''. Cook an egg on that voltage. I got zapped just under the armpit when bending over the fence to pick up a hare.

Staves off memory lose. Id recommend you do it weekly.  Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Still got smoke coming out my ears... very careful gateboy for the rest of the night...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Our old energisers ran at a weedy 5 joules. Zapped you ok but was not like the new unit we isntalled a year or so ago. 32 joules Shocked Shocked Shocked
But the positive is that you can turn the unit off from anywhere on the farm, with the new fandangled fence tester. But yeah, dislocates joints sort of POW! to it

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Strewth .. will be careful in future and I won't volunteer so readily on the gates!

This seaside block used to yield 50-75 (mostly rabbits) for a 2-3 hour truck wander. Then was pindoned about 18 months ago, and virus also went through.  We're just starting to see bunny regeneration now - popped a dozen rabbits of 55 shot.  But .. will be interesting to see if virus kicks in again and again as with other blocks. Have seen there the bunny populations begin to increase, then next time you visit very few to be seen - and dead ones lying around.  Hares unaffected. 

What is the deal on the virus Steven - are the survivors (odd ones immune?) carrying it so that it recurs after breeding cycles?  Or infected bunny movement from adjacent blocks??  Or farm boys with a new batch in the blender...

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
There's a couple of live gates on a property I shoot on north of Auckland.

Sometimes you can hear them ticking before you touch them. Sometimes you can see them sparking in the dark.

I got a good belt across the kidneys crawling under a fence a few months ago while retrieving a possum.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
You can of course earth the bastard with your jumper leads if you really need to crawl through the fence.   Grin

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Works on the small units, but not the big bastards. A while ago I found mine showing a fault of 65 amps in one direction. A branch had fallen and was pressing the outrigger hard up against the barbed wire top wire, for about a foot or so. Thought that would have earthed it flat out. Not so I soon found out, attempting to work the broken limb off the fence from the far side of the short. Received a mighty jolt via the green branch, even though I was wearing Ashleys and in dry sox Shocked Shocked Shocked 
32 joules IS a lot of boogie.
And Dairy farms often run ones almost twice as powerful Huh

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Back in the day we would try to tempt neighbour kids to piss on the electric fence - telling them it was off.   Roll Eyes  Piss on one now and you'd deep fry the mountain oysters pronto...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards