This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1st shot slow (Read 2591 times)
Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

1st shot slow
Aug 28th, 2021 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I've been playing with my new toy, a chronograph. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

I have a 7x57 and a box of 139sst and a box of 140 pro hunters.

The pro hunters are always around 150 -200 fps slower on the first shot of the day.

The SST shoot normal speed right from the get go.

Interestingly the Pro hunters shoot .5 of an inch better groups than the sst.

Sst also gives around 100fps higher velocity in general but that in it self is no big deal.

Just curious in anyone's observations about changes in velocity from a cold barrel to a warm one.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: 1st shot slow
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
What sort of Chrono did you buy. I wish I had the $$$ for a Lab Radar - Iíve used one once and was smitten.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
No lab radar sorry, just your budget Pro Chrono DLX.

I have documented it 3 times with the pro hunters and have seen more than that but hadn't made the connection with the bullet.

If components weren't so damn hard to get at the moment I do some more testing but reluctant to get to carried away at the moment.

I tend to pay attention to the first shot off a cold barrel cause when hunting I only tend to get one shot (if I'm lucky)

IP Logged

shananah

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Is this maybe the difference between 1st shot with a clean barrel & subsequent shots with some fouling? Maybe try a fouling shot before your recorded shots, then you will know if I'm talking out of my back side or not.  Grin

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
It's possible. Thing is it only happens with this bullet.

I have other bullets so have decided to park it until powder and bullets supplies aren't so tight.

I suspect it's due to the greater bearing surface and thicker jacket of the bullet and maybe my barrel is marginally tighter than US spec barrels.

Then again I am more likely talking through my arse as well, hence the question.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards