This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wano canister powder number 6 (Read 2996 times)
QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Wano canister powder number 6
Aug 19th, 2021 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Have a can of wano canister powder nr6... Not sure if any good to anyone.. Don't know much about it was going list on tm but might be more interest here for some one.. Approx 500 grams with container.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Wano canister powder number 6
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 9:02pm
Print Post  

I think Wano is a decent German powder - I've got a couple of old part cans here I used better than forty years ago. Back then, powder could be difficult to get, so you grabbed what was available.

I'm not familiar with your 'Canister #6' - reminds me a little of the old Curtis & Harvey triple strength #6 which was considered a superior, or sporting grade powder.
C&H made their #6 from Glossy buckthorn alder sourced from Europe, but around the 1970's they couldn't source that timber and used other timbers which proved detrimental to the quality of the powder.
After the C&H mill had an accident, the company decided to not continue manufacturing and shipped the powder manufacturing equipment to Germany ......... and that's probably why 'the bell is ringing."
I don't know who in Germany got the C&H equipment, and my 'googleffooing' gives me no info on your powder

What do you want to do with that powder - sell, trade, give away donate ................. ??

I make my own, so I'm not in the market .......... but I would imagine shipping could be a problem ....... I really don't know.

Replacement value for a pound of powder is about $70 ...... which is why I make my own  Smiley

But - your powder does sound interesting - or perhaps, my mind has made it seem so ...........

Whack a pic of the can up mate ............. please

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 11:01pm
Print Post  

Done some reading ............

The Curtis & Harvey that came in the plastic containers (have never seen it) was produced in Germany by Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH, this company commencing operations in 1682.
So it seems Wano were the recipients of C&H's old machinery.

Curtis & Harvey itself came in 8 granulations - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, Col Hawker's Duck Powder and Capt Latour's Punt Powder ........ and I don't know what the German equivalents of them would be .............
Anyhoo - C&H continued as a 'label' under ICI who purchased C&H in 1967 and continued using C&H's production processes at their Ardeer Works in Scotland up to about 1970.

The C&H #2 powder was the smallest granulation - suitable for flintlock pan priming.

So - I'm now wondering if your 'Cannister #6' is Wano's attempt to piggyback on the outrageously good name that C&H developed with its own 'T.S.#6' ......... ?
And I wonder what charcoal they used - whether it was Glossy Buckthorn Alder charred for 8 hours at between 280 and 320*C ...... or whether they just used any old shit timber they got ..... ?

Incidentally, 'cannister' simply means it came in a small tin rather than a keg.

I probably need to go and get a life .......... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Yip ill try put a pic up of I remember how to.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2021 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
good info SF91.....gives a fella some idea as to where it will be useful...like you I roll me own.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards