This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Rifle Dilemma (Read 2802 times)
goodlife
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

New Rifle Dilemma
Aug 17th, 2021 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Hi folks been a long time since I've been on here but now that we are heading into another lockdown maybe you can help me make a decision and at the same time help pass the time.

I am wanting to get a lighter rifle, I currently have a Howa 1500 in 7mm08 which as you know they are quite heavy at 3.4kg for the bare rifle. Its a great caliber and with hand loads is a tac driver. I am looking for a 3kg or less rifle.
The two issues I have are what make and what caliber?
I am tempted to stick with 7mm08 but with at the same time thinking about trying something new. All my hunting is normally under 400m but I want to know I can stretch it out a bit more if needed.

I have contemplated the usual 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 6.5x55, 270 and 308 and of course 7mm08.

I have looked at the usual brands Browning X bolt, Sauer 100, Tikka T3x and Bergara.

Some considerations have been supply of ammo and components which are getting harder to get at the moment the only easy to find ammo seems to be 308. I will reload but to start and build up a supply of brass will use factory rounds.

GO! Smiley

AIM  
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Re: New Rifle Dilemma
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
If you are not freehand shooting regularly there is little difference between 3 and 3.4kg in the carry.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
After years of shooting 6mm I’m busy building up a new rig. Mainly to be able to have more down range 300m+ grunt and better durability.
I’ve gone with 308.
Easy to find ammo, every gun shop has it, typically they’re not too fussy about which ammo either,  can go subsonic if I want too.
Basically a very versatile calibre.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Get a .308. The hole in the barrel is bigger but the outside is the same, so they are lighter. Smiley

The Tikka T3 will be lighter. An old BSA Majestic is much lighter. (Especially in .308)

If you want to stretch it out over 400 m then you are talking getting a whacking great big scope and a bipod. Then someone will talk you into a suppressor. And with all that weight involved you might as well just stick with the Howa 1500 for the difference it would make.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
my stalking rifle,my out to 400mtrs rifle is a howa in 270 and fitted with 4x scope...
if you think rifle is heavy...just take out something with a bull barrel for a day...your howa will seem MUCH lighter again.
I did on Sunday,and by mid day my arms knew all about it.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 17th, 2021 at 10:13pm:
my stalking rifle,my out to 400mtrs rifle is a howa in 270 and fitted with 4x scope...
if you think rifle is heavy...just take out something with a bull barrel for a day...your howa will seem MUCH lighter again.

4x scope???
That must be a classic

IP Logged

goodlife
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Aug 17th, 2021 at 9:12pm:
If you are not freehand shooting regularly there is little difference between 3 and 3.4kg in the carry.

Your right it not  a huge difference but  I am trying to reduce the overall weight of what I carry, even off myself and every little helps for the longer trips and at I'm not going to be the right side of 50 for much longer so planning ahead.

AIM  
IP Logged

goodlife
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Aug 17th, 2021 at 9:18pm:
After years of shooting 6mm I’m busy building up a new rig. Mainly to be able to have more down range 300m+ grunt and better durability.
I’ve gone with 308.
Easy to find ammo, every gun shop has it, typically they’re not too fussy about which ammo either,  can go subsonic if I want too.
Basically a very versatile calibre.

308 is a great caliber and definitely an option the only thing against it is the others have a flatter trajectory

AIM  
IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
7-08.
Kimber Hunter

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 4:21pm
Print Post  

A bit of weight is great for offhand shooting, I carried my 8 1/4 lb gun around the hills for years - then I found I'd got old and a heavy gun gave my wrists shit.
I carry a 6 1/4 lb gun now, carried it for two days up and down a bloody big hill - and it wasn't a problem.

Just about everything out there shoots to 400 plus - I'd go 7mm-08 too  Smiley

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
A few of us had time in a hut on stewart island to talk this over. We had all on our own bat, gone for extremely light rifles. 2 rem model 7s in 7/08, a kimber in the same, and i had a Howa mini In 6.5 Grendal with carbon fibre stock. all in the 6-6.5 lb weight range.

You could try something like this.

https://www.legacysports.com/brands/howa_catalog/carbon-stalker-2/

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Aug 18th, 2021 at 11:20am:

4x scope???
That must be a classic

M8 4x leupold...Ive owned 3 of them and this is the best one,its the oldest,biggest and longest of the three...fits a long action, like a scope is supposed to, and the larger eyebox makes it very quick to use..perfect for a bush hobbit like me...its also post n rail...which is nice.
sometimes simple is best...... well for a simple fella like me anyway.

IP Logged

ArmedTramper
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2021 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Gidday - I've had light rifle for years, and heavier ones too.  I don't think there's really any difference in "perceived weight" once you get past 2.8-3.0 kgs.  Given that ammo is a bit of an issue just now maybe keeping your 7mm-08 and getting a 308 or the like could be a good idea. 

A rifle not on your list that has just hit the gunshops again (importer but have received a batch) is the Mauser M18, its quite similar to the Sauer but I consider the execution to be superior.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 9:34am
Print Post  

4x scope???
That must be a classic

When I started hunting, mmmm, too many years ago to recall now, scopes on rifles were about 50% versus iron sights. And scopes were mostly 4 power. Vari power were available and were expensive and not always reliable.
I hunted tahr with a 4x scope and wasn't disadvantaged.
Shot some my best groups ever (young eyes then) with a 4x scope on first a 222 and later a 22/250.
Nowadays shooters anquish that they are "underscoped" with a 4-12 on top!

IP Logged

Nick.m
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I reckon a kimber hunter or montana, if you can get hold of one. I have just bought a kimber hunter and pulled the gel out of the stock, didnt like the colour so gave it a few coats of paint (will see how that holds up)

Im hoping that it will come in around the 6 pound mark scoped amd suppressed with a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 or a swaro 3-9x36 scoped (still looking for one of these if anyone has one). This will puerly be a bush gun for me but i reckon if you didnt chop the barrel you would still come in at 6 1/2 pounds and be good to 400.

IP Logged

Sakouser
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Aug 19th, 2021 at 9:34am:

4x scope???
That must be a classic

When I started hunting, mmmm, too many years ago to recall now, scopes on rifles were about 50% versus iron sights. And scopes were mostly 4 power. Vari power were available and were expensive and not always reliable.
I hunted tahr with a 4x scope and wasn't disadvantaged.
Shot some my best groups ever (young eyes then) with a 4x scope on first a 222 and later a 22/250.
Nowadays shooters anquish that they are "underscoped" with a 4-12 on top!

Had a 2.75 Bushnell on my 308 for 30 years, great bush scope, quick target acquisition, wide field of view, less apparent  ‘shake’ when shooting off-hand. Not so flash on open tops though!

Now have 3-9 varipower, ALMOST best of both worlds Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #16 - Aug 24th, 2021 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Howa mini action is a light rifle and not expensive.  Accurate too. They come in Mini action: .223 Remington, 7.62x39, 6.5 mm Grendel Short action: .22-250, .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, 6.5×55mm, .308 Winchester.. Take your pick

They have a 10 shot mag which is handy. Have the .223 which has shot a lot of wallabies. Thought the barrel was buggered but gave it a super clean and its come back to life..

I have a kimber montana in .243 with a new remington 700 barrel on it. Not quite as lightweight at the original but still a light rig Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards