This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Your favourite rimfires - and why? (Read 6856 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Your favourite rimfires - and why?
Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
In the 'rabbit problem' thread above headcase asks the question 'what's your favourite rimfire?'  I thought this deserved its own thread. There may be a variety of personal preferences, and PS there are no wrong answers, except where a shooter may have bought into one make/model/caliber, never trialled other options, and from deep internet 'experience' decided all else aside from his is crap.. It happens!!

Favourite rimfires these days actually covers two categories - all things 22LR, and then 22LR through to 223 (centrefire of course). This latter 22lr-223 category includes many interesting calibers - 22WMR, 17HMR, 17WSM, 17 Hornet etc thru to 223. Each of these variants has its place, and its adherents.

22LRs first and for me its years now since competition days and I'm no longer focussed on heavy barrel, more expensive, big name makes/models. The last 20 years has been intensive field shooting - mostly in Canterbury - and almost all with 22LRs.  I will not carry a beautifully wooded Annie, or Weihrauch, or my gorgeous Annniversary model black walnut Marlin 60, or my Winchester 9422 XTRs (in 22lr and 22wmr) etc for dozens of trips walking farms, round rocks, thru matagouri, shooting from the truck etc. They WILL be marked and scratched up - so they're out for me. Lovely to own but they've remained in the closet until sold. Instead, my own criterion is functionality first, and I look for a short, light, very accurate, reliable, easy to manoevre and durable little 22LR. Have owned and tested a heap of makes and models to arrive at my own preferences - they may not be yours and that's fine  Smiley

Excellent worker 22s include the Norinco EM332  - nicely engineered action and super accurate with 0.7" average for 4 consecutive groups at 100m, but I sold my two as they always required 1-2 warmers before shooting accurately - shooting up and to left at first which is not ideal for quick rabbit shooting. CZ/Brno always good. Toz 78 a good nz option. Marlins a real surprise - entry level rifles with good barrels posting around 0.5" averages at 50m (standard barrel). I really like JW15s after a Mudz/Neal barrel chop to 16" and action/trigger polish. Done around 20 of them now and they make excellent wee worker hunters - almost all very accurate with sub 0.5" at best.  Deadly little buggers. Marlin semis are capable of astonishing accuracy - one averaging 0.29" for 4 groups at 50m, and another 0.39"   Shocked

If I'm picking a hunter 22LR today I'd take a 16" polished JW, or a Marlin 925/980 bolt, or a Marlin 795 semiauto - all of them comfortably under the benchmark 0.5" at 50m - and it don't matter if you scratch them. Sounds crazy but there it is..  It is 100% valid for others to choose a nice Annie or Bergara or Weihrauch etc - we all enjoy a nice piece of timber and/or a beautifully machined action. But for me its deadly and efficient little workers first.

Be good to hear your rimfire experiences, your preferences (with pics if poss).  Doesn't have to be a long intro blah like this... We can talk more about the next category 22lr to 223 a bit later perhaps.

Smiley

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: Your favourite rimfires - and why?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I had to hand in my Sterling 20P semi for Cindy, got $1025 for that, a magazine and suppressor so went out and bought a CZ 445 in .22lr - frikken awesome gun 5 shot groups all touching at 50M and within 30mm at 100M - now center fire ammo and components is getting harder to find I’m only shooting rim fire until the big stuff comes back. Now I’ve put a mildot scope on it and I’m going to stretch it out to 200 and build up a decent range chart. I had the old Sterling good as wood out to 100M but the better weapon is already a top shooter

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
bruno model 2 found its way into my cabinet...lovely wee rifle and will be my only rimfire...the norinco jw15 already in there is promised to mate as soon as his FAL arrives (18mths and counting) that norinco has the most wonderful trigger Ive ever seen on a rimfire,a short 1mm of travel then breaks like glass...unless shooting paper you dont notice the first bit...its like a 2 stage trigger in miniture but SMOOTHER than a cat pissing on velvet.
Ive owned 3 norincos over the years and the one Im selling Ive owned twice....good mate has my last one,its suppressed ,after shooting subsonics through long barrel un suppresssed I decided to run bare barrel,its quiet enough as it is.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
CZ/Brno always good. 

Geez Radar - $1025 from cindy for an old Stirling!!!    Shocked   I've got some bitcoin shares in a Nigerian bank I think you should sell for me...

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
My first rifle was a Brno model 2E. It' was a 16th birthday present from my Great Grandmother.
Bought from Andy Tannocks Hunting and Fishing in Palmerston North for $325. Put a Nikko Stirling 4 x 32 on it and shot a whole bunch of small game with it. The pinnacle was a fallow hind. Out rabbit shooting, saw a Fallow Hind eyeballing me at 40 metres or so. Slowly raised the rifle and shot her between the eyes. I can still picture it in my mind. Her legs just collapsed beneath her and I had my first Deer.  Cool Cool.
So for me it will always be a Brno model 2E.
A few years ago I got a Blueing and Stock job done by TJ.  It looks better than the day I bought it. I will never sell it.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 5:39am
Print Post  
My 13th birthday present was a Stirling 14p. great little gun and I thrashed it for 4 or 5 years until I decided I needed a Brno. My uncles all used Brno 1's or 5's, and I would still love to get my hands on one of those, but for me it was the 2e and I cant complain. I have had that gun ever since and have shot 25-30,000 dollars worth of possum fur with it in that time. A great investment at 3 or 400 dollars I payed for it.

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 9:16am
Print Post  
My guns are a bit like my wife, I seem to be stuck with them for life (so far anyway)

Only ever owned one, a Ruger 10/22. Bought it second hand in 1986 and I still have it.

Have fond memories of shooting rats in the dump at night in Waipawa. used to love it when we would get a 'runner' going across a bit of a puddle Grin
It always amazed me that no many how many rats we shot, the next morning you couldn't find one body.

Anyway I have put thousands of rounds through that little gun and although it wasn't overly accurate it did everything I wanted and more.

It got parked up in the safe for twenty odd years as I dealt with life's responsibilities.

Hunting has since leaped up the priority list with the afore mentioned wife consenting to adding a dog to the family.

The little Ruger started enjoying a bit of time out of the safe dispatching stray cats, tree'd possums and exposure to gunfire drills.

I was very surprised to find that not only can I still get parts for it but the list of accessories now available is extensive.

I am not as financially challenged as I was as a teenager so I replaced the shitty cheap rings for a decent pair, put a suppressor on it and experimented with different ammo and now it's a little tack driver and a quiet one at that.

I've no doubt there are better .22's out there but that little gun has done nearly 40 years of service and I see no need to change now Smiley

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:31am
Print Post  

Got a BRNO 1 from the fifties and a '2' from 1967 - and I probably prefer the '2' cos it's got a slightly longer barrel.
Accuracy wise they're about the same with the right ammo - which is pretty good ......... and I like them because they're the only .22's I've got.

My mate had a Husqvarna bolt magazine .22 I really liked, heavier and longer than the BRNO's - more like a 'centerfire'. I'd swap my BRNO's for that, but he was never interested in dickering ..................  Cry

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:36am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:32pm:
CZ/Brno always good. 

Geez Radar - $1025 from cindy for an old Stirling!!!    Shocked   I've got some bitcoin shares in a Nigerian bank I think you should sell for me...

Have got a suspicion Stirling's are worth a bit - I had a bloke do some welding work for me and payed him with a 1892 Winchester lever gun in 32-20 he fancied.
Didn't fancy it for long though, he swapped it for a Stirling semi .22 he fancied even more  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
My favorite lately has been my Ruger 77/22 Bolt action wooden stock, using subs. Nice and quiet with the subs. Had an aftermarket trigger put into it set at about 1lb. Great for accuracy. When I used to shoot rabbits off a quad left the barrel original but now use it more out of a truck so had it chopped for easy handing. Accuracy seems about the same.

My original .22 was a cheap Norinco. The whole rifle was rough as guts in the finish, as a brno copy im told?, but it shot well. Good barrel, which was the most important thing. Was all I could afford at the time. They were under $300 new. Dont seem to see any advertised these days. Do they still import them into NZ

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Have just resurrected a 10/22 also caveman. The sloppy magazine and jamming sorted out, put a different stock on it to better accommodate the heavier new Kidd Barrel. Its all so new havnt put it to the real test yet.. Only then will I really know it the Jamming problem is sorted.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Interesting that of these favourites - most kept for a long time - none are expensive makes/models.  The Brno model 1 is climbing up in price some.
I like the Brno/CZs - no real faults with these rifles - but they do have nice woodwork on the Euro hogback style Brno and on the straight stock American style CZs.  For that reason I've avoided them as our varmint shooting included untold hours spotlighting over thousands of acres of north canterbury terrain in the truck - and everything gets marked sooner or later. Absolutely loved a brace of Winchester 9422s in 22LR and 22WMR but they never really left the closet.

Most deadly of my hunters was a Marlin 60 semiautomatic. Stunning accuracy, and if you kept it clean and ran it near dry of oil it was extremely reliable. Shot in at 75m (our average shot was 70m), it was very quick off the truck and a precision shooter out to 110m. Paid $200 for it with a scope!  Gave it to one of my boys on getting his licence, and on his first solo outing he popped 172 bunnies!!  Beat his old man that night..

Another excellent wee hunter was the Ruger lever action model 96 22LR. This 10-22 lookalike was more accurate than all our standard barrel Ruger semis, and an ideal safe action to teach the boys. Youngster could put 10 shots into a 1" black dot at 50m. No weaknesses - excellent wee rifle but rare now.  Our own Rugers semis didn't make the cut for our 70-100m shooting. Good to 60m but none of them near repeatable 0.5" averages on the range.  Some 10/22s were fine shooters however - my gunsmith tells me ruger sourced barrels at times from other manufacturers, including good makers like Shilen. Caveman you might have got one.  Lad did buy a heavily modded 10/22 with Hogue, Volquartsen parts, Green Mountain barrel etc and that was a fine range shooter, but he did not like the heavy barrel imbalance in the field and sold it. Some excellent new aftermarket barrels available which solve that problem - Canadian Acculite aluminium, and carbon barrels - over steel inserts.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 4:55pm
Print Post  

Have got a suspicion that rabbit shooting for the casual hunter is moderately genteel, had my two down the range today and while I've had them for ..... ever, they are almost unmarked.
Even the bluing is good which makes me wonder if I carried them on the sling.

My 7x57 BRNO on the other hand got it's sling taken off and has lost almost all it's bluing, but the most visible damage that ever occurred to that gun was carrying it in a scabbard on my mates quad bike while chasing farm deer over three days.
That scabbard more than wore off 'finish' it seemed to have abraded away metal and wood - quite an eye-opener.
I used that gun quite seriously too and made a new stock for it when I broke the old one. It travelled with me from Taupo to the South Island and I shot it for over fifty years with no idea how many animals it shot - and that scabbard put 200 years of wear on it in three days.

Might even be 300  Huh

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
The worst culprit for marking up rifles I've experienced over the years where those old steel framed packs used in conjunction with a sling. My 7x57 still bears the scars.
These days it travels safely snuggled into the side of my internal framed macpac courtesy of the side compression straps and a stoney creek mini scabbard thingy.
You would think with all the mod cons available climbing up to Middle hill hut would be easier than ever but for some reason it just gets harder and harder Embarrassed

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Caveman2 wrote on Aug 1st, 2021 at 6:49pm:
The worst culprit for marking up rifles I've experienced over the years where those old steel framed packs used in conjunction with a sling. My 7x57 still bears the scars.
These days it travels safely snuggled into the side of my internal framed macpac courtesy of the side compression straps and a stoney creek mini scabbard thingy.
You would think with all the mod cons available climbing up to Middle hill hut would be easier than ever but for some reason it just gets harder and harder Embarrassed

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Perhaps include a pic of your 7x57 Caveman - showing stock wear etc.  Have refurbed woodwork and reblued alot of rifles and its not usually too hard.

Bought a Toz 17 this afternoon because it was there at a good price. A basic shooter like the JWs but will see how that goes... Bloke selling some others cheap too - might grab the lot  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
That damage was done a long time ago mudgripz and overtime the scars have kinda become part of the rifle if you know what I mean, but thanks heaps for the offer.
I oil and rub my stocks once a year and the worst of it just kind of blends in now.

To be honest the wear mark from the suppressor is more of an eye sore than anything else.

If I want a pretty rifle  I should buy the Winchester XTR  7mm on trade me  Cheesy

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Rimfire favourites are my BRNO Mod 2E (top):

My 10/22 brought in about 1987-88 from Andy Tannock's in Palmerston North:

Photo won't show for some reason.

Marlin 917 .17HMR:

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
nice.. I would like to see some more comments on good .17s. Im always on the lookout for good advice on that one..

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
+1

The little Marlin 17HMRs/WMRs are bloody accurate  - and cheap for what you get.  I'm playing with a Marlin in 22 magnum at present - will do a short review on it sometime.

IP Logged

Grizz

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:48pm:
nice.. I would like to see some more comments on good .17s. Im always on the lookout for good advice on that one..

I have a CZ synthetic/stainless .17HMR, shortened to about 16in and threaded for suppressor that shoots approx 15mm groups at 100yrds with three different types of ammo. Approx 250rnds since new. As new condition/surplus to my current requirements.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Marlin 982VS in 22WMR - quick comment:

I found the 22 didn't have the legs on a new site last year so decided to try a 22WMR. Old school and just one of many alternatives, but thought I'd take a look at it. Magnum ammos were often poor in the past but in recent times new higher quality ballistic tip offerings from CCI/Hornady etc have really lifted magnum performance. So too have modern WMRs from Marlin, Savage, CZ, Weihrauch etc.  I shot in a mate's standard barrel Marlin WMR with Hornady 30gr V-Max and it blew the top out of the 1" dot at 50m - quite a revelation.  So I picked up a Marlin heavy barrel model 982VS, popped a basic Tasco World Class 4-16 on it, and that is proving a very accurate wee shooter. Whole setup cost just $500.

Rifle was inconsistent to start with until thorough barrel clean, removing buildup of copper residue from copper clad ballistic tip ammos, and then it began to shoot. On the bench it is startling.  I have not done a full range test with 12-20 groups of 5 shots at 50 or 100, but in sighting in, mate and I both comfortably shot tester groups around 0.2-0.3" at 50m. Then switching out to 100m it shot 0.7" for 3 shots.  A wee tack driver. These are scruffy target samples from the gunbox - 3 to 5 shot groups at 50 meters:

In the field the extra punch of the magnum over the 22LR really shows. It smacks hard and big hares hit at 100 do not move.  I can see why people use them from time to time to drop light bone game like goats/wallabies etc - if hit in the right place.  22WMR has the advantage of extra hitting power over the 17HMR out to 125 or so depending on ammo load, but 17HMR is flatter shooter for longer range.  Both can shoot out past 125m, but beyond 125 I'd personally be taking a 223.  The practical limitation with the WMR is not power, it's wind.  If you are shooting a breezy coastal (30-60kph) site like ours with frequent cross wind shots, its better to use the 223 past 60 meters or so. 17HMR a bit less wind affected but still limited by any degree of cross winds.

On quieter nights however the wee magnum is a treat to use, is very effective - a hard hitting little varminter.  I've also had a 17HMR and like them both - as mentioned the 17 slightly better for flatter trajectory/longer range, and magnum with its heavier projectiles better if you come upon a somewhat bigger animal.  From my experience, beyond 125m its 223, but there are interesting further options with 17WSM, 17 Hornet etc. Will be going out with a mate at some point who has bought the WSM - we'll see how that pans out.

Little Marlin 982VS in WMR a VERY accurate little varminter - well worth the test. Am also a fan of the Marlin/CZ/Weihrauch 17HMRs, eg the model 917 in Varminter's pic above. HMR also a great little round.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Need an bloody edit option...  Forgot to mention the wee Marlin has a very nice bolt action - clean and precise - and cycles well. Not as well engineered as say the Weihrauch HW 60 J, but good. The trigger is excellent - adjustable and set in my rifle to a very clean 2.5lbs break - ideal for field shooting.  Only problem to date has been a 2-3 fail-to-fires from one inconsistent batch of Hornady - a problem noted by others on rimfirecentral. Latest batch excellent. You get alot of rifle for $500 all up.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I love my Marlin .17HMR.

I use it more than my .223s for rabbits, magpies and the like.

This was at 100m, checking zero before going after magpies.

No recoil at all. Through the scope you see fur or feathers fly off the target before you realise you've shot.

IP Logged

ArmedTramper
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 7:37am
Print Post  
My current favorites (I've had a very long line of 22's/rimfires over recent yeas, searching/culling ruthlessly for accuracy) are a Ruger 10/22 LVT (a factory heavy barrel jobbie, bedded in a Magpul stock with Kidd trigger) and a TC Contender 17 HMR.

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I've had a few 22's over the years but none of them stayed until CZ bought out the L/H 452  Cheesy I was quick getting one of them in .22 and 17Hmr.
The 17 Hmr and a Cooper  and my L/H Cooper in 22Wmr see the most use...…..just wish I could find some more Remington WMR ammo.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I have a few .22 rifles - dating from about 1898 for a Colt Lightning through to the early 2000's.

If I had to say which was a favourite it would be difficult - but my go-to .22 rifle tends to be a Remington Nylon Model 66 semi auto. Its light , easy to carry , easy to shoot and more accurate than I can make it .

But then I shoot many .22s over a year , just because I like to shoot old rifles , and I have old rifles to shoot.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Remington model 66 an interesting older semiauto - good to hear it shoots well. Remington pioneered some lightweight plastics in firearms with this and other models.  I had a 60s Remington 600 in 243 with plastic ventilated rib on its 18" barrel, and from memory a plastic polymer trigger guard.  Perfect length/weight for northern bush shooting and with its its accuracy it was great for NZDA competitions back then.  My favourite ever centrefire and would love to have another one.

Another oldie I'd like to pick up - a few around - is the early Aussie Lithgow model 12.  Learned to shoot with one on the farm. Very simple but accurate wee shooters.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Those simple , old rifles have largely been forgotten by the plastic and stainless guys of today. Any of those rifles made before about 1980 were made by skilled craftsmen , who took pride in their work. And most of the rifles are very good shooters - at least as good as modern rimfires.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Yep  - another couple of Remington 22LR models I like are the model 511 Scoremaster bolt action/5 shot mag, and the 512 Sportmaster with tube mag.  Both known to be bloody accurate - lovely wee rifles manufactured from about 1939 thru 1965.  Limitation with scoping due to their high rotation bolt action, but you can still find side mounts if you're ok with drilling the holes..

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #30 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 6:27am
Print Post  
I have a 512X  ( 1967 - 71) which is a prettier version of the tube mag 512. It shoots just fine as a bunny gun

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Nice - need a photo or two of these classics Muzza..

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #32 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
see what I can do . Have to rack the brain to remember how to post pics.....

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2021 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
It is much easier these days.  Go to the Hunting thread at top of the main index page, and under Hunting is the thread ' Time to revive the forum'. Scan this and on p2 of it are easy instructions to use 'postimage'.  This is a much better app than photobucket and its easy to use to post pics onto this forum.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz - my old Labrador

Reply #34 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
I often look at what is going on at the H&F forum
I see some posts in the Hunting section talking about trying to revive the forum – hope you are successful 
Looks like there are still some good people here – I miss talking with Chris about trapping – he is a wealth of knowledge in a field that has become top of mind for many Kiwis
I like the look of the Postimage site – I will see if I can make it work – I get sick of Photobucket sending me emails each week
This is my favourite rimfire – a “Unique” opportunity for a close shot at the ferret in the cage

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Aug 6th, 2021 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Nice.. X51 a well regarded little semiauto. Must admit I know little about them

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #36 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Good to see people all over the country trapping pests btw.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #37 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Prime catch in that trap.Good one. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz - my old Labrador

Reply #38 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Mudgripz - the Unique is “arguably” the finest semiauto ever made – fine French engineering - this one is mint and sought after by a couple of collectors – I looked at it on the shelf in Tisdalls in Palmy for ages about 53 years ago – possibly had BC’s prints all over it when he was working there – it doesn’t get much use now.
In retrospect – my favourite rimfire was possibly a Gevarm semiauto – my first rifle – a schoolboys’ dream and I fired thousands of shots through it – it used to clog up and once went auto.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #39 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I had a Gevarm semi once that could be induced to full auto by shoving a match stick into the hole on the underside of the action. Neat party trick but not cheap to feed these days . Twas a long time ago but ....

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Was in at GC in Chch this morning and the salesman tells me the winner of a sporting 22LR section in the big competition recently was a Norinco JW15!! 

I keep telling people how accurate these little buggers can be.  Must have tidied, chopped, recrowned, polished maybe 20 of them and with this bit of work to bring out their Brno DNA, they can be some of best worker 22s you can buy. Great wee bunny shooters..

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #41 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
muzza wrote on Aug 8th, 2021 at 1:01pm:
I had a Gevarm semi once that could be induced to full auto by shoving a match stick into the hole on the underside of the action. Neat party trick but not cheap to feed these days . Twas a long time ago but ....

Yes, had one too in the 70's. brrrt! and the 10 round mag was empty!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #42 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Have to agree about the norinco.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Just traded my Marlin 982VS 22 magnum - bare rifle - for a very straight little Marlin 795 22LR stainless semiautomatic with new suppressor, basic scope etc.  Nice wee package and 22 alot more cost effective when popping alot of bunnies.

I know these little Marlin semiautos well, and from benching them in the past they all drop under 0.5" at best for groups at 50m, and average not too much above that. Wee sharpshooters out to 100.  Run them very clean, and dry (just a drop or two on bolt), and feed them all things CCI and they cycle and shoot very well. Ideal to carry and very fast off the trucks at night. Out to the range on Wednesday..

IP Logged

Sakouser
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #44 - Aug 13th, 2021 at 6:58am
Print Post  
muzza wrote on Aug 8th, 2021 at 1:01pm:

I ‘adjusted’ my Gevarm to do the same many years ago - but only briefly.
The only shot that went to point of aim was the first one, the rest sprayed all around the target uncontrollably!

It’s hard enough to shoot accurately with it in semi mode let alone full-auto!

IP Logged

trg42

Bring on Spring!!!

Reply #45 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Marlin model 60 for me. Fantastic rifle if you kept it clean. I had a redfield pistol scope on it for quick shots in close.

It was a victim of cindys 'dangerous rifles' horse shit. I cant remember how much I got for it, but it wasn't enough.

then also began the war with the Police about a rare winchester pump action rifle worth some $2500 american. Because it wasn't on their list they offered me $250, and then wouldn't give it back to me!!

Got it back after I threatened them with a civil case of theft!!

IP Logged

JWB

Reply #46 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
My favourite  .22LR is an Anschutz 1400 which I bought new for $40 on my 16th birthday. It has a co*k on closing action. It is a pleasure to shoot with excellent accuracy due to a good trigger and barrel. I still have it.
The next is a Unique X51 which can be set in single shot mode or semi-Automatic, which is a great feature when introducing someone to shooting. It also has a magazine disconnect  to block the hammer when the magazine is removed. The fact that it is all steel construction and very accurate, also endears itself.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #47 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 9:08am
Print Post  
trg42 wrote on Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm:
Marlin model 60 for me. Fantastic rifle if you kept it clean. I had a redfield pistol scope on it for quick shots in close.

It was a victim of cindys 'dangerous rifles' horse shit. I cant remember how much I got for it, but it wasn't enough.

then also began the war with the Police about a rare winchester pump action rifle worth some $2500 american. Because it wasn't on their list they offered me $250, and then wouldn't give it back to me!!

You should have kept the Marlin 60.

I gave mine a good clean the other day, ready for getting out of lockdown.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #48 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 9:23am
Print Post  
trg42 wrote on Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm:

Why on earth did you surrender your Marlin 60 particularly as you post it as your favourite rimfire?
All my tube mag rifles are still with me. Simple mod to the tube mags and they miraculously went from dangerous evil things to legal things.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #49 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Yes my last model 60 was adapted to 10 shots - paid for by government. Brilliant wee rifles. Simple but great barrels. Had about 15 Marlins of various models including heap of their semiautomatics - models 60, 60DL, 60DLX, 70HC, 7000, 75, 795, 990 etc.  All fine shooters. In thorough bench testing (12-20 types of ammo), the worst of the 15 marlins was better than the best of our half dozen stock ruger 10/22s.

Of round 100 sporter, standard barrel makes/models of rimfire I've benched (rimfire hobbyist), the two most accurate at 50m to my huge surprise were two model 60 semiautomatics.  One (a 60DL) averaged 0.29" for four five shot groups, and the other (a 60DLX Anniversary) averaged 0.39". Nearly fell off the stool.. In a long shooting career I learned that rifle price is often an indicator of quality, but is not necessarily an indication of accuracy. The inexpensive little 60s tuned with right ammo were precision shooters and shot superbly at 70-100m. 

Surprised they never caught on here, but they outsold rugers worldwide by near 2 to 1, and remain biggest selling rimfire ever.  Remington bought Marlin firearms in about 2008, but after the recent bankruptcy of Remington, Ruger has now bought Marlin.  Wonder if we'll ever see any more marlin 22 semis..  Existing ones going up lots in price in US.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #50 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
The 10/22's definitely respond to a little tickling - I have a VQ hammer in mine and a good suppressor and it shoots beautifully.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #51 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Yes- if you're into modding/developing your rimfire the Ruger 10/22 is best for that. Untold aftermarket parts available.

Son had one few years back - a highly modified 10/22 with Hogue stock, Green Mountain heavy barrel, mostly Volquartsen internals etc and it was a very accurate shooter. Only the trigger blade was original Ruger from memory. He paid $700 then and someone had spent at least double on it. Didn't keep it overly long however - found it front heavy and not ideal for hours wandering the hills. 

Whole new generation of very accurate production model rimfires now - eg the Ruger Precision series, Bergara, even Howa 1100.  All designed for rejuvenated rimfire shooting competitions - big deal in US now. So modding Ruger 10/22s less necessary.  Be good to play with the new models but doubt I'd use them for high number bunny shooting. For this I always go for functionality - lighter, short, accurate worker 22s - the polished JW15s, Marlin925/980/795s, and the fine CZ/Brnos.

Just set up a little Marlin 795 semiauto for fast accurate high number shooting from the truck etc. This one does 0.8" grouping at 75 meters - and that's good. Very dead bunnies ... Hopefully.

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #52 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
50 years ago, week after my 16th birthday and sitting my FAL, for what I thought was a fortune at the time,I laid out $45 and brought a Toz 17 from King and Henry in Masterton.
Came complete with leather sling, not fitted and plastic pouch with pull through. A little Bushnell x4, $16 on top and off we went.
Still have the first three items but the scope was traded for a weaver steel omnivue. A Unique suppressor was fitted in the early 80’s. The company who threaded the rifle didn’t want to see another as the steel was so hard it damaged their threading tools.
The Toz has taken all the small game also larger ones when the perfect opportunity presented itself. Pigs and Deer.
My only .22 for years.
Moving to Marlborough and finding rabbits in large populations, the Toz was rather lacking with only one mag even though I had modified the guide rails and gained another two rounds, 7.
After reading an article in NZ Guns and hunting, I keep watch and eventually found my next dream 22. A semi auto.
A clone of the Ruger 10/22 but all stainless, bull barrel, target spec chamber, Hogue stock. Fantastic trigger. Built by Arcadia Machine and Tool. Or AMT. Long story, short, Ruger sued them. No more rifles.
I trued all the flat surfaces with a sheet of glass and wet and dry. A Nikko 3-9 on top and shot rabbits. Thousands of them. Winchester subs with a suppressor. Could happily fire 1000 rounds without a jam more magazine faults and firing on empty chamber.
Still have both. Both have stories to tell. Love em.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #53 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Just sold a Toz I  had just reblued and tidied up - very simple mechanically but a good wee shooter.  The AMT semis were very good little rifles - the 10/22s ruger could have made if they had put more time into barrel quality etc. AMT Lightning mmmmmm.....  a keeper..

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #54 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Huntertoo - pop up a pic of that AMT if you have one.. Were all those AMT Ruger clones called Lightnings?

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #55 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
AMT Lightning.

Is that the one that was all stainless steel and razor sharp edges?

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #56 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The lightning rifle was called the small game hunter as AMT also produced a pistol called lightning.  Wiki has all sort of interesting info.
Varmint, yes all investment cast stainless. No plastic within.
When I got it, I sanded the bumps and burrs off it as I thought it felt a bit grainy in the action. Cycles flawlessly and smooth. However it has had thousands of rounds through it, so it is well run in.
The bolt has an edge either side where it slides in the action guides.
The only down side is that stainless is noticeably heavier than the Ruger 10/22

I shall attempt to post some pics.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #57 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
AMT Small Game Hunter

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #58 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
AMT

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #59 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Nice..  well regarded wee semis.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards