This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Your favourite rimfires - and why? (Read 6860 times)
trg42

Bring on Spring!!!

Re: Your favourite rimfires - and why?
Reply #45 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Marlin model 60 for me. Fantastic rifle if you kept it clean. I had a redfield pistol scope on it for quick shots in close.

It was a victim of cindys 'dangerous rifles' horse shit. I cant remember how much I got for it, but it wasn't enough.

then also began the war with the Police about a rare winchester pump action rifle worth some $2500 american. Because it wasn't on their list they offered me $250, and then wouldn't give it back to me!!

Got it back after I threatened them with a civil case of theft!!

IP Logged

JWB

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #46 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
My favourite† .22LR is an Anschutz 1400 which I bought new for $40 on my 16th birthday. It has a co*k on closing action. It is a pleasure to shoot with excellent accuracy due to a good trigger and barrel. I still have it.
The next is a Unique X51 which can be set in single shot mode or semi-Automatic, which is a great feature when introducing someone to shooting. It also has a magazine disconnect† to block the hammer when the magazine is removed. The fact that it is all steel construction and very accurate, also endears itself.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #47 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 9:08am
Print Post  
trg42 wrote on Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm:
Marlin model 60 for me. Fantastic rifle if you kept it clean. I had a redfield pistol scope on it for quick shots in close.

It was a victim of cindys 'dangerous rifles' horse shit. I cant remember how much I got for it, but it wasn't enough.

then also began the war with the Police about a rare winchester pump action rifle worth some $2500 american. Because it wasn't on their list they offered me $250, and then wouldn't give it back to me!!

You should have kept the Marlin 60.

I gave mine a good clean the other day, ready for getting out of lockdown.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #48 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 9:23am
Print Post  
trg42 wrote on Sep 6th, 2021 at 7:44pm:

Why on earth did you surrender your Marlin 60 particularly as you post it as your favourite rimfire?
All my tube mag rifles are still with me. Simple mod to the tube mags and they miraculously went from dangerous evil things to legal things.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #49 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Yes my last model 60 was adapted to 10 shots - paid for by government. Brilliant wee rifles. Simple but great barrels. Had about 15 Marlins of various models including heap of their semiautomatics - models 60, 60DL, 60DLX, 70HC, 7000, 75, 795, 990 etc.  All fine shooters. In thorough bench testing (12-20 types of ammo), the worst of the 15 marlins was better than the best of our half dozen stock ruger 10/22s.

Of round 100 sporter, standard barrel makes/models of rimfire I've benched (rimfire hobbyist), the two most accurate at 50m to my huge surprise were two model 60 semiautomatics.  One (a 60DL) averaged 0.29" for four five shot groups, and the other (a 60DLX Anniversary) averaged 0.39". Nearly fell off the stool.. In a long shooting career I learned that rifle price is often an indicator of quality, but is not necessarily an indication of accuracy. The inexpensive little 60s tuned with right ammo were precision shooters and shot superbly at 70-100m. 

Surprised they never caught on here, but they outsold rugers worldwide by near 2 to 1, and remain biggest selling rimfire ever.  Remington bought Marlin firearms in about 2008, but after the recent bankruptcy of Remington, Ruger has now bought Marlin.  Wonder if we'll ever see any more marlin 22 semis..  Existing ones going up lots in price in US.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #50 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
The 10/22's definitely respond to a little tickling - I have a VQ hammer in mine and a good suppressor and it shoots beautifully.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #51 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Yes- if you're into modding/developing your rimfire the Ruger 10/22 is best for that. Untold aftermarket parts available.

Son had one few years back - a highly modified 10/22 with Hogue stock, Green Mountain heavy barrel, mostly Volquartsen internals etc and it was a very accurate shooter. Only the trigger blade was original Ruger from memory. He paid $700 then and someone had spent at least double on it. Didn't keep it overly long however - found it front heavy and not ideal for hours wandering the hills. 

Whole new generation of very accurate production model rimfires now - eg the Ruger Precision series, Bergara, even Howa 1100.  All designed for rejuvenated rimfire shooting competitions - big deal in US now. So modding Ruger 10/22s less necessary.  Be good to play with the new models but doubt I'd use them for high number bunny shooting. For this I always go for functionality - lighter, short, accurate worker 22s - the polished JW15s, Marlin925/980/795s, and the fine CZ/Brnos.

Just set up a little Marlin 795 semiauto for fast accurate high number shooting from the truck etc. This one does 0.8" grouping at 75 meters - and that's good. Very dead bunnies ... Hopefully.

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #52 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
50 years ago, week after my 16th birthday and sitting my FAL, for what I thought was a fortune at the time,I laid out $45 and brought a Toz 17 from King and Henry in Masterton.
Came complete with leather sling, not fitted and plastic pouch with pull through. A little Bushnell x4, $16 on top and off we went.
Still have the first three items but the scope was traded for a weaver steel omnivue. A Unique suppressor was fitted in the early 80ís. The company who threaded the rifle didnít want to see another as the steel was so hard it damaged their threading tools.
The Toz has taken all the small game also larger ones when the perfect opportunity presented itself. Pigs and Deer.
My only .22 for years.
Moving to Marlborough and finding rabbits in large populations, the Toz was rather lacking with only one mag even though I had modified the guide rails and gained another two rounds, 7.
After reading an article in NZ Guns and hunting, I keep watch and eventually found my next dream 22. A semi auto.
A clone of the Ruger 10/22 but all stainless, bull barrel, target spec chamber, Hogue stock. Fantastic trigger. Built by Arcadia Machine and Tool. Or AMT. Long story, short, Ruger sued them. No more rifles.
I trued all the flat surfaces with a sheet of glass and wet and dry. A Nikko 3-9 on top and shot rabbits. Thousands of them. Winchester subs with a suppressor. Could happily fire 1000 rounds without a jam more magazine faults and firing on empty chamber.
Still have both. Both have stories to tell. Love em.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #53 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Just sold a Toz I  had just reblued and tidied up - very simple mechanically but a good wee shooter.  The AMT semis were very good little rifles - the 10/22s ruger could have made if they had put more time into barrel quality etc. AMT Lightning mmmmmm.....  a keeper..

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #54 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Huntertoo - pop up a pic of that AMT if you have one.. Were all those AMT Ruger clones called Lightnings?

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #55 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
AMT Lightning.

Is that the one that was all stainless steel and razor sharp edges?

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #56 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
The lightning rifle was called the small game hunter as AMT also produced a pistol called lightning.  Wiki has all sort of interesting info.
Varmint, yes all investment cast stainless. No plastic within.
When I got it, I sanded the bumps and burrs off it as I thought it felt a bit grainy in the action. Cycles flawlessly and smooth. However it has had thousands of rounds through it, so it is well run in.
The bolt has an edge either side where it slides in the action guides.
The only down side is that stainless is noticeably heavier than the Ruger 10/22

I shall attempt to post some pics.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #57 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
AMT Small Game Hunter

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #58 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
AMT

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #59 - Sep 24th, 2021 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Nice..  well regarded wee semis.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards