This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Your favourite rimfires - and why? (Read 6858 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Your favourite rimfires - and why?
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Perhaps include a pic of your 7x57 Caveman - showing stock wear etc.  Have refurbed woodwork and reblued alot of rifles and its not usually too hard.

Bought a Toz 17 this afternoon because it was there at a good price. A basic shooter like the JWs but will see how that goes... Bloke selling some others cheap too - might grab the lot  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Caveman2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
That damage was done a long time ago mudgripz and overtime the scars have kinda become part of the rifle if you know what I mean, but thanks heaps for the offer.
I oil and rub my stocks once a year and the worst of it just kind of blends in now.

To be honest the wear mark from the suppressor is more of an eye sore than anything else.

If I want a pretty rifle  I should buy the Winchester XTR  7mm on trade me  Cheesy

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Rimfire favourites are my BRNO Mod 2E (top):

My 10/22 brought in about 1987-88 from Andy Tannock's in Palmerston North:

Photo won't show for some reason.

Marlin 917 .17HMR:

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
nice.. I would like to see some more comments on good .17s. Im always on the lookout for good advice on that one..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
+1

The little Marlin 17HMRs/WMRs are bloody accurate  - and cheap for what you get.  I'm playing with a Marlin in 22 magnum at present - will do a short review on it sometime.

IP Logged

Grizz

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 2nd, 2021 at 4:48pm:
nice.. I would like to see some more comments on good .17s. Im always on the lookout for good advice on that one..

I have a CZ synthetic/stainless .17HMR, shortened to about 16in and threaded for suppressor that shoots approx 15mm groups at 100yrds with three different types of ammo. Approx 250rnds since new. As new condition/surplus to my current requirements.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Marlin 982VS in 22WMR - quick comment:

I found the 22 didn't have the legs on a new site last year so decided to try a 22WMR. Old school and just one of many alternatives, but thought I'd take a look at it. Magnum ammos were often poor in the past but in recent times new higher quality ballistic tip offerings from CCI/Hornady etc have really lifted magnum performance. So too have modern WMRs from Marlin, Savage, CZ, Weihrauch etc.  I shot in a mate's standard barrel Marlin WMR with Hornady 30gr V-Max and it blew the top out of the 1" dot at 50m - quite a revelation.  So I picked up a Marlin heavy barrel model 982VS, popped a basic Tasco World Class 4-16 on it, and that is proving a very accurate wee shooter. Whole setup cost just $500.

Rifle was inconsistent to start with until thorough barrel clean, removing buildup of copper residue from copper clad ballistic tip ammos, and then it began to shoot. On the bench it is startling.  I have not done a full range test with 12-20 groups of 5 shots at 50 or 100, but in sighting in, mate and I both comfortably shot tester groups around 0.2-0.3" at 50m. Then switching out to 100m it shot 0.7" for 3 shots.  A wee tack driver. These are scruffy target samples from the gunbox - 3 to 5 shot groups at 50 meters:

In the field the extra punch of the magnum over the 22LR really shows. It smacks hard and big hares hit at 100 do not move.  I can see why people use them from time to time to drop light bone game like goats/wallabies etc - if hit in the right place.  22WMR has the advantage of extra hitting power over the 17HMR out to 125 or so depending on ammo load, but 17HMR is flatter shooter for longer range.  Both can shoot out past 125m, but beyond 125 I'd personally be taking a 223.  The practical limitation with the WMR is not power, it's wind.  If you are shooting a breezy coastal (30-60kph) site like ours with frequent cross wind shots, its better to use the 223 past 60 meters or so. 17HMR a bit less wind affected but still limited by any degree of cross winds.

On quieter nights however the wee magnum is a treat to use, is very effective - a hard hitting little varminter.  I've also had a 17HMR and like them both - as mentioned the 17 slightly better for flatter trajectory/longer range, and magnum with its heavier projectiles better if you come upon a somewhat bigger animal.  From my experience, beyond 125m its 223, but there are interesting further options with 17WSM, 17 Hornet etc. Will be going out with a mate at some point who has bought the WSM - we'll see how that pans out.

Little Marlin 982VS in WMR a VERY accurate little varminter - well worth the test. Am also a fan of the Marlin/CZ/Weihrauch 17HMRs, eg the model 917 in Varminter's pic above. HMR also a great little round.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Need an bloody edit option...  Forgot to mention the wee Marlin has a very nice bolt action - clean and precise - and cycles well. Not as well engineered as say the Weihrauch HW 60 J, but good. The trigger is excellent - adjustable and set in my rifle to a very clean 2.5lbs break - ideal for field shooting.  Only problem to date has been a 2-3 fail-to-fires from one inconsistent batch of Hornady - a problem noted by others on rimfirecentral. Latest batch excellent. You get alot of rifle for $500 all up.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I love my Marlin .17HMR.

I use it more than my .223s for rabbits, magpies and the like.

This was at 100m, checking zero before going after magpies.

No recoil at all. Through the scope you see fur or feathers fly off the target before you realise you've shot.

IP Logged

ArmedTramper
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 7:37am
Print Post  
My current favorites (I've had a very long line of 22's/rimfires over recent yeas, searching/culling ruthlessly for accuracy) are a Ruger 10/22 LVT (a factory heavy barrel jobbie, bedded in a Magpul stock with Kidd trigger) and a TC Contender 17 HMR.

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I've had a few 22's over the years but none of them stayed until CZ bought out the L/H 452  Cheesy I was quick getting one of them in .22 and 17Hmr.
The 17 Hmr and a Cooper  and my L/H Cooper in 22Wmr see the most use...…..just wish I could find some more Remington WMR ammo.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #26 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I have a few .22 rifles - dating from about 1898 for a Colt Lightning through to the early 2000's.

If I had to say which was a favourite it would be difficult - but my go-to .22 rifle tends to be a Remington Nylon Model 66 semi auto. Its light , easy to carry , easy to shoot and more accurate than I can make it .

But then I shoot many .22s over a year , just because I like to shoot old rifles , and I have old rifles to shoot.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Remington model 66 an interesting older semiauto - good to hear it shoots well. Remington pioneered some lightweight plastics in firearms with this and other models.  I had a 60s Remington 600 in 243 with plastic ventilated rib on its 18" barrel, and from memory a plastic polymer trigger guard.  Perfect length/weight for northern bush shooting and with its its accuracy it was great for NZDA competitions back then.  My favourite ever centrefire and would love to have another one.

Another oldie I'd like to pick up - a few around - is the early Aussie Lithgow model 12.  Learned to shoot with one on the farm. Very simple but accurate wee shooters.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Those simple , old rifles have largely been forgotten by the plastic and stainless guys of today. Any of those rifles made before about 1980 were made by skilled craftsmen , who took pride in their work. And most of the rifles are very good shooters - at least as good as modern rimfires.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2021 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Yep  - another couple of Remington 22LR models I like are the model 511 Scoremaster bolt action/5 shot mag, and the 512 Sportmaster with tube mag.  Both known to be bloody accurate - lovely wee rifles manufactured from about 1939 thru 1965.  Limitation with scoping due to their high rotation bolt action, but you can still find side mounts if you're ok with drilling the holes..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards