This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunting with my Boy (Read 5339 times)
meathunter72
Donor Member

Hunting with my Boy
Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I haven't posted any stories for a while but with this new postimages website I might give it a go again. Thanks to Shankspony and Headcase Smiley
My son Oliver is now 11. We have been hunting together since he was 4 or 5. Starting on Rabbits and going from there. I thought I would put up some pics of some of our hunts showing his progression over the years.

First Rabbit. Headshot no less.

First trip into Clements road. This is the clearing at the end of Army road. About 2 minutes after I took this pic I spooked a Deer. I saw its arse as it hightailed back into the bush Grin. Typical.
I just kept to tracks with Oliver at this age. Fairly easy walks and plenty of Marshmallows around the fire at night.

First pig. Taken on my cousins farm up the Far North.

This is Olivers first Deer. Taken the Summer just gone up on the Kaimanawa tops. He was patient and pulled off a good shot at about 100 m with the 243.
He carried it all the way back to camp and half back to the truck.  Cool
He was a bit knackered at the end Grin

Our first Roaring Stag together. This was in April in the Whirinaki. Oliver has got to the stage where he can keep up with me all day. So anywhere I go, he can go.  It was an exciting hunt at the end of a long day. He was roaring hard when I shot him at 20 metres.
Oliver is getting stronger and carried a bit of meat as well as his gear. His pack was over 20 kg. Cool

Our most recent hunt. In the holidays just gone we went to a new spot in the Urewera. I managed to tip one over on the walk in. My mate got another couple over the next few days. I gave Oliver the rifle up front for the day and he went really well. Never been so quiet.  Grin. Much easier to focus when you are the guy up front. This time Oliver carried all the meat from the hind. I just carried his gear. Its been really satisfying to spend time with my boy in the outdoors and see him grow and develop his skills. Long may it continue.
Thanks of reading.

Chur

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Hunting with my Boy
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Bloody awesome. Man the young fella has changed in those pic's!

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Cheers. Yup he sure has. He's only going to get bigger and stronger whereas I'm on the long slow decline.  Grin.
Next goal will be for him to shoot a Deer in the bush. Cool

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Great pics - mate you only decline if you let yourself….😂

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 12:53pm
Print Post  

Thoroughly enjoyed that - a good example of what a real dad does with his kids ..........  Cool

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
have enjoyed watching his journey.....that lad is going to be really strong...PLEASE dont let him bugger up his developing body with silly heavy carries....knowing when enough is enough takes years to learn...I know if I had toned it down a bit when younger I would be in better shape now....those things we do when Y D F O C come back as niggles as we age.
looks like you have a good pack for him,thats a good start.
have a go carrying animal using Alex Gale carry strap method..I WISH someone had shown me it 40 years ago...its so much easier on body ad in semi open country its just the ducks nuts.I use a bit of seatbelt.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
All good Mickey.  Wink
I won't thrash him too hard. He is pretty strong though. He plays prop like his old man Grin
I have a seatbelt and buckle system but I haven't used it yet. I prefer to just bone it out.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Wonderful. What a transition that lad has been through. In all sorts of ways I guess. Physical and mental.
Great Dad.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Super story. Thanks for posting.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:58am
Print Post  
meathunter72 wrote on Jul 30th, 2021 at 10:08pm:
All good Mickey.  Wink
I won't thrash him too hard. He is pretty strong though. He plays prop like his old man Grin
I have a seatbelt and buckle system but I haven't used it yet. I prefer to just bone it out.

good stuff,I wrote out the above then thought,shite hope I DONT offend the man..... but I see you have got my meaning...its the issue with typing or txting,no facial expression or tone to go with it...seriously try seatbelt,I carried two mid sized pigs at same time,both about 70lb and then did same with two goats... the carcase going down across your lower back the weight is low so you not top heavy,and the other really cool thing,if you do fall over,you arent trapped underneath it and can undo belt and start again.
keep up the great work.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:04am
Print Post  

this is my day bag...the straps of the pikau are my carry strap,the bag goes into carcass inside rubbish bag. dont tell Meg, my big black bitch,the corner bulges the straps lassoe are two tennis balls.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Micky. Have you got a pic of the seatbelt method with animals attached?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:44am
Print Post  
not yet...and dog wont cooperate  Grin Grin
picture this....animal on ground all four legs in the air...your strap goes through hocks to make a square..legs still in same position. your shoulders go between front legs on one side and other shoulder between back legs,when you stand up you have both of animals left legs up your back and the animals right legs come up under your armpits and up....the strap is across top of your shoulders so flat and pushing down,the body of animal is across kidneys/hips.look up alex gale carry strap method.... google will have someone showing it .

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 10:49am
Print Post  

Got a suspicion CH is doing just that in the second photo down under 'Black Powder guns I have had' in the ........ 'Black Powder Hunting' section.

I've never carried a deer like that ........ but he doesn't look particularly stressed .......................  Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
nope thats a handbag sling method...eg strap goes across body like a duffle bag with only one strap....saw that one looking for photo of other way....first time Ive seen it at all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards