This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) a rabbit problem looming (Read 14368 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

a rabbit problem looming
May 10th, 2021 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
For anyone that hasn't seen a number of videos put together by one of the news channels by  Melanie Reid, it's worth a watch, some denied we had a building population, but it appears the penny has now finally dropped. Granted these are just pockets but given that they in or near townships, the options are limited for control. Punch in looming rabbit problem on face book & it should come up, well worth a look.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2021 at 6:21pm by rabbiter »  

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: a rabbit problem looming
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2021 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
well we need a decent rain here, to begin with,a couple of hours of drizzle followed by a couple of inches of the wet stuff should sort out the first lot of dust....give another couple of inches of wet stuff and that will sort out most of the rabbits too....unfortunately I cant see us getting anywhere near enough rain in near future.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:38pm
Print Post  

I remember as a kid going with my parents to visit a farmer relative over in the Wairarapa. I was eight or nine and remember the farm being somewhere alongside Lake Wairarapa.
His wife was home, and said her husband was up the hill with his neighbours doing rabbit control, so we walked the farm track and as we got closer to the lower slopes we could see ten or so men moving down the hill in a spread out line. Each man was beating on a tin and waving arms, and in front of them the hillside seemed to be moving ...... undulating - it was weird, didn't make any sense, but we could all see it.
We watched the men continue down the hill, then realised they were herding thousands of rabbits into a fenced area, two men at the rear closing the entrance to a large chicken wire enclosure.

Once all was closed, the men set about with clubs - and we moved away, it was a bit rough for us 'townies' .......... but that was around 1954 or 5.

And if I hadn't seen it - I'm not entirely sure I'd have believed it.

Edit -  looked online to see if I could find any mention of the above happening, and where and when.
And - I couldn't find any mention, but I did see what I did - and have a memory those men (farmers) went from farm to farm to deal with what was obviously a problem.

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2021 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
sorry, it's on Facebook, search rabbit problem looming.

IP Logged

Welly1

Good to see y'all

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2021 at 7:42am
Print Post  
I remember we used dogs to "herd" them into fishing nets we had set up across the ground in Central Otago '72-'73.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2021 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
persisting down with rain tonight so hopefully the little blighters will get wet burrows.... if nothing else it will help keep the grass growing.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2021 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2021 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 15th, 2021 at 3:55pm:

I wonder what we've learned about all this - have we chucked out the last generation's knowledge (like we have in a lot of cases) for something better .............. because I see the same mistakes being made in this country time and time again.

I see it right across the board.

Where did the bloody 'better' go .............  Grin

"Who's the wanker in charge ?"
"Wot ......... ?"

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2021 at 8:01pm
Print Post  

In 1930, Rabbit Boards were set up with the stated view of reducing the rabbit population. People on unemployment were employed up and down the country to rid areas of rabbits and hares.
In 1955 the Rabbit Act was amended to allow the six South Canterbury Rabbit Boards to control wallabies.

In 1989, the administration of rabbit control was completely restructured. The Rabbit Boards were disbanded and Regional Councils took over the job.
Regional Councils then proceeded to publish some nice glossy booklets telling you what a rabbit is (with photos), and will offer advice to landowners on how to control them ...........

So - your Regional Council is now 'the wanker in charge' ......... of rabbits ........ and leaky sewage pipework  Smiley

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2021 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
SF91 wrote on May 15th, 2021 at 8:01pm:
In 1930, Rabbit Boards were set up with the stated view of reducing the rabbit population. People on unemployment were employed up and down the country to rid areas of rabbits and hares.
In 1955 the Rabbit Act was amended to allow the six South Canterbury Rabbit Boards to control wallabies.

In 1989, the administration of rabbit control was completely restructured. The Rabbit Boards were disbanded and Regional Councils took over the job.
Regional Councils then proceeded to publish some nice glossy booklets telling you what a rabbit is (with photos), and will offer advice to landowners on how to control them ...........

So - your Regional Council is now 'the wanker in charge' ......... of rabbits ........ and leaky sewage pipework  Smiley

Shot al hare tonight while duck shooting, it broke left, up and downed him with an instinct shot. Not to much thought.
Am a bit sad now, we saw that hare everytime we went out there.
Got seven ducks in a couple of hours, which is two more than 12 hours on opening day.

IP Logged

Elite32
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Harry hare never worried me. Some farmers hate them esp when new trees are invoved. Dont breed like the rabbit. Sounds like a trip to Tekapo is in order. 😀

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2021 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Might be too. Seriously thinking about a Forum weekend.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2021 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I'd be keen to help out lowering the numbers. Pretty hard getting access in the Mackenzie though. Cry Owners may be changing their view if numbers are getting out of control.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2021 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on May 18th, 2021 at 6:51pm:
I'd be keen to help out lowering the numbers. Pretty hard getting access in the Mackenzie though. Cry Owners may be changing their view if numbers are getting out of control.

I should say that unless your willing to work for it numbers are well under control on the easy stuff. Its tight gullies up the hill a bit, and the tops where the action can be found.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Good to know HC. Does twizel doc do small game permits? Have had a few from Geraldine office but there's bugger all rabbits around in the area. Should add that I'm not looking for a job, just recreational.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards