This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) a rabbit problem looming (Read 14256 times)
Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: a rabbit problem looming
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
say 68 rabbits n 2 hares on road verge between twizel and burkes pass tonight.....was half pie expecting to see a wobbly but nope.
we were just counting what we saw as drove along ,sort of kept mind semi alert after long day....they were in patches,2-3-5 then nothing for couple of kms or longer then another bunch.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2021 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on May 18th, 2021 at 10:12pm:
Good to know HC. Does twizel doc do small game permits? Have had a few from Geraldine office but there's bugger all rabbits around in the area. Should add that I'm not looking for a job, just recreational.

Youd have to ask. I think they might. Or take a .223 with you and shoot everything. If we had a forum weekend hunt it would be private land for rabbits, hares, and wallabies.

Rabbits and Wallabies are going to become a lot less in the near future on the big chunks of the rougher country from the the far side of the Haka up to the north end of Lake Tekapo.  40000 hectares are being 1080ed with pellets for wallaby control. Its already started. Course they will come back pretty quick.. being pests, unless the affected stations start doing some real control work after the poisen op.

The thing is it will cost them money to keep people in the area shooting. Rec hunters generally dont like to have to work too hard for numbers in areas where there arnt many which is understandable. They are only getting the odd days shooting in and want it to be memorable.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2021 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Yeah good point. Not many recreational hunters want to walk all day to shoot 3 wallabies.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Elite32
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2021 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Headcase any details of this drop.? Cant find it on google.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2021 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
There are huge tracts of land neighbouring the areas being poisoned which contain big numbers of wallaby, so unless someone comes up with an annual regional plan the numbers will drop for a while but they will bounce back, at least to a good number. There will always be some good shooting somewhere.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2021 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Headcase any details of this drop.? Cant find it on google.

This is not DOC. It is Ecan. As its all on private land I doubt it has to be publicly notified. This might be helpful.

Wallaby programme funding
MPI is leading a national wallaby management programme.

The programme has $27.4 million of funding from 2020 to 2024. It is part of the Government's $1.3 billion Jobs for Nature Programme.

The programme will help support regional communities. It will create jobs and give extra work to businesses providing goods and services.

What we'll be doing
Surveillance and population control in the Bay of Plenty, Waikato, Canterbury, and Otago.
Building fences to slow the spread of wallabies.
Improving wallaby detection and control.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/biosecurity/long-term-biosecurity-management-programmes/....

IP Logged

EC

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2021 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
(Save Our Wallaby) is a new and totally different approach.
Funded by this Labour government..
Be kind to our creatures and help them survive so that those creatures and their siblings live a long and happy life.
The government are urging the public to report any signs of cruelty of any kind in regards to our humble wallaby.
MPI's help line will be open 24 hrs.
Be kind...........

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #22 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Went to poisen an area today with Liquid Pindone on carrot. In front of the truck and spreader there were waves of rabbits running out into the distance 2 hundred meters ahead. Like the bow wave of a big ship. The terrain was totaly buggered from years of high rabbit numbers. Big crumbling warrens the truck was sinking into. Not much more than rocks and moss growing. Where there was tussock it have been clipped off to lawn height.

Behind the truck just 50 meters back I could see rabbits emerging and getting stuck into the carrot. Must have been the sweetest juicy carrot they had ever tasted.

From the days of shooting.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #23 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Mmmm...  Shocked  reminds me of north canterbury.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I was told there are no rabbits in north canty.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Very few now - maybe 40 a visit to a big farm we've shot for 14 years - and that's mostly hares and just twice a year. 8 years ago we topped 1000 in an evening couple of times with the team. Rimfire heaven!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Sounds good. What would you say is your fav. rimfire?  Im a fan of subs and .17 hmr.  My partner has just bought a .17 semi. A Volquartson. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Ive also just resurected my old 10/22 by having a kidd barrel put on it and an aftermarket trigger. The gunsmith did a great job of getting the mags to sit trim in it again.. All nice and straight now. The feeding problems have gone for the moment..

another pick from 10 years back. I dont shoot for petfood anymore. Its now search and destroy only.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
That's a good discussion question HC - have put it into its own thread under Firearms..

PS am talking to the boys - will get back to you asap.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #28 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Cheers

Some more old pics..

This one is the wallaby popsicle.. all frozen hard as nails.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Nice!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards