This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Duck diseases (Read 2728 times)
XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Duck diseases
May 7th, 2021 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Built a pond on our farm, where one had never been before. Quite a vegetated area that now holds 20-40 ducks for most of the year.

The ducks have easy access to farm paddocks. Often they just walk there, instead of lodging a flight plan and other associated paperwork.

I am now on my third unexplained death of a cattle beast on the farm. Never had this happen in the decade prior to building the pond.

Unsure how to assess whether a cattle death has been due to a duck borne disease, but if it can be proved, the pump action tenancy terminator will come into effect quick smart.

Any ideas???

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Duck diseases
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2021 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Get the cattle tested is the only way to know. Its a pretty rare occurrence for waterfowl to transmit to cattle as far as I understand.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2021 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
We just had a lot of sheep die in block recently.  Turned out to be tutu. Any of that in your area.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
tutu was also ,my first thought..hexagonal stem with leaves coming off in opposing pairs...loves growing along banks...

the only desease I think ducks can transmit having seen it in king country many many years ago was selmonela....eg the screaming shits...quite a number of sheep died and another lot a few kms away...parrie ducks were the only logical transmitter between the two.
another one out of left field...stick your hand in trough and make sure it doesnt have electric current going through it..seen that many years ago in waikato..neighbour lost a few cows before he twigged to it.
another neighbour lost cattle who were break fenced and looked in good nick..VET said starved was cause of death.....weird looking back.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2021 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. Nope, none had the screaming shits.
Yes, we have Tutu everywhere (esp in the road verges), and usually manage to stay on top of the horrible stuff.  Hmmm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards