This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How did you get on? (Read 6694 times)
Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

How did you get on?
May 2nd, 2021 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Pre season there was definitely less birds about, and judging from lack of shots around the district, I think that was generally the case. However our crew shot quite well at the birds available and all up we got somewhere around 100. Mixed bag of mallards and parries.
None of us pushed on to limit today. We felt we had a good day yesterday and a good morning and had shot enough, so packed up, cleaned up and headed home early.
My personnel tally was 18 parries and 14 mallards/greys from roughly two boxes of ammo.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: How did you get on?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2021 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
9 mallards,2 hares and a wasp nest.... that no more wasps powder is awesome stuff,big puff at 7AM today and all dead by 9.
never shot this pomd before so had no idea what was going to be like...we had super relaxed weekend and if had hit every bird maybe would have had 15.
not many about at all,didnt have any flare...actually had harry hawk smack down on sleeper decoy,seen it twice before but still laughed like heck,gives confidence in your set up if you can fool them birds.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2021 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Nice Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gmm
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2021 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Shot maize paddocks.  Opening day was full on for the first 2 hours but slowed down  quickly after that.  Ended up with 96 on the first day, mostly parries.
Second day very slow as was a day much more suited to fishing than duck shooting.
Good time had by all and was good to be back into another season.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2021 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
really slow in the swamp, we ended on 17 mallards and 6 parrys.not much going on . not much flight and not much banging to be heard . lack of water may have contributed . But all in all a good weekend away .

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2021 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
We had a very slow opening,only managed 23 ducks,1 Canada goose,it was good to catch up with the brothers and in-law,had fun with banter ,great times, Also it was great to see the three dogs working in the tight scrub was amazing,Sometimes it’s not about the tally,but the time you have with family and friends, Wink Wink Smiley

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2021 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Piako river and surrounding swamps worst season ever i only got 4 on opening.My sons pond normally 3 shooters get limits sat and sun they got 9 mallards and 3 parries.There was a real lack of ducks before the season was a bad breeding season here and to dry . Sad

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2021 at 5:56am
Print Post  
I shoot in the Whangamarino swamp and while I had ok water the rest was basically dry. Normal opening barage was sporadic and by 7.00am all you could hear was the odd shot, by 8.00am it was all over with not a shot to be heard anywhere. I personally did not fire a shot.
It's getting worse every year with this as bad as I can remember for a long time.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2021 at 9:23am
Print Post  
More ducks around this Saturday. Maybe with the water in the swamp help. Had some folk amd a dog jump the stop bank into our pond. Shot into the neighbours to let a shot off then apppered to get there dog to start to work our pond as we were sitting there in the hut. Didn't even see us sitting there which is good in a camouflage perspective but super dangerous. I can see how people easily get shot. I yelled out to them. Nothing wrong with looking in as long as you got permits etc but need to be more observesant of surrounding areas. I did tell them to be careful there are people shooting in thr block.

IP Logged

les
Just Joined

labs are the best

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2021 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Shot down Aka Aka Waikato river lots of shooters got none worse year in memory .

IP Logged

Beeinmybonnet
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 8:07am
Print Post  
the disappointing game bird numbers we have is largely a result of climate change. Most drains in the Hauraki plains are drying out during breeding time so the options for ducks are canals or oxidation ponds which create botulism as part of the process. Local authorities need to use bird scaring devices or hunters to keep the ducks from settling. Dry summers are not able to be changed so we must adapt to help increase our population. Ring your council to see what can be done or what reception you get.

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Went out yesterday with two friends,on a new spot paddock shooting,we ended up with 17 parries,8 mallards and put a very good dent in the pigeon population,also a good dent in the ammo supply   Grin Grin Grin,We had good fun stayed until 4pm,We had trouble with mallards not decoying,it was frustrating,but that’s us for the season personally,but the season goes for much longer,hope everyone is getting behind the save fish and game !!.So happy hunting for the rest of you guys

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards