This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Duck shotgun (Read 3323 times)
Tikka6.5
Donor Member

Always happy to learn
something new.

Duck shotgun
Apr 11th, 2021 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Looking for a first 12g pump for my son for duck shooting. He's been borrowing a cheap Remington pump but it's not avail this season. What's the best of the entry level shotguns currently avail

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Duck shotgun
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Just out of interest, why a pump? you will get way more selection from under over or semi.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
H&R has been AWESOME reliable friend for last ...10 seasons...any 2 3/4 or 3" loads worked great for me....#3 was a favourite on the big water....managed 5 from 5 on ducks about 4 times and once on geese......it has gone to another good home because I got gifted a berretta semi.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I started my gun ownership at age 15, my dad gave me a bull calf to rear each year, just for feeding the calves each morning and evening, before and after school, which he sold and when he was ready bought me a side by side Westerly Richards.
It had a split stock and making a special stainless screw and nut on the lathe at work was my first gunsmithing event, it took a bit of doing as I had to have the finished parts approved by the foreman.
It was a very good gun , since then I have used all types, now all I have is a side by side which will do me.

IP Logged

Bush Tucker Man
Donor Member

I Love to Fish N hunt
NZ

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2021 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I started with a Mossberg A500 (not a Maverick) which was reliable and nice to shot.
They are plenty of shotguns to chose from now so most importantly choose one that suits (fits) your body frame and your price range.
Note; Semi's are easier on the body and generally are supplied with adjustment shims to help with the fitting

As happy as a worm on it's way home from a fishing trip
IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
20g Benelli with Pattermaster Duck choke. Never miss anything anymore.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I have a 1930s Savage Stevens side by side... Savage by name and savage by nature.  Built like an old tractor.  It has  30" barrels with reasonably tight chokes so is used exclusively on bunnies. With 3s will drop them at 60 yards.   Has shot vast numbers off the truck at night, and though it kicks like a horse I will never sell it because it is a deadly efficient bunny killer. Very seldom misses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards