This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best Stoat Trap (Read 12694 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Best Stoat Trap
Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Can someone offer a tip on their fav stoat trap. I have to buy a few and would like the benefit of others experience before buying.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Best Stoat Trap
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
DOC 250....becuase we get ferrets around these parts and some of them are huge.... the new box designs are heaps more user friendly..the whole top hindges up and off to expose trap for reset/clearing.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Thanks Micky. Where do you buy them.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:08am
Print Post  
like everything else...trademe LOL

I run 20 of them,used to check them at least weekly,now its every month or so....hedgehogs will die in surprising numbers till you get them under some control,best hedgehog bait is dead crawling hedgehog,I shit you not.  the biggest ferret I got had been EATING OTHER ferrets caught in traps Shocked Shocked Shocked
he was mostly out of trap box when finally got him....if you get stoat/weasel..rub thiersmelly but all over inside of trap box,all the fambams will come to see where ol uncle Joe went and you can catch one every day for a week....

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Yer I ran over a ferret on a bridge on the way to work the other night and on the way home I ran over another one that was eating it.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
well thats 2 "good ferrets"   Grin Grin

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Week ago Mrs and I were driving home 1am, came over brow of hill and there were 4 stoats all eating something dead on the road. Her cars quite flash so I swerved away from them. If it’d been my ute there would’ve been squashed stoat all over the road lol.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Oh my gosh. You swerved to save four stoats. Lets face it. Your a softy. Grin

I had to endure a night on the piss with four opening day duck hunters in central Otago, when after driving 20ks to the the nearest pub I came over a small rise and theres a possum caught in the headlights which I swerved to avoid.  An outroar followed with them getting stuck into me about being a soft c***. My shame. Explaining that the car had a soft plastic spoiler under the bumper sounded pretty weak at the time.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  

The car is a 'casual killer' that often doesn't kill. It's a lot of fun for Johnny Highpants to run over the old possum, it's dead easy - but he's a tough old boot and I used to carry a bar to whack the ones the guy in front crippled - assuming I could catch them.
Was going to work one Winter morning when the flattened possum on the road ahead lifted his head. I stopped the car and went back and that thing was flatter than a 'throw rug' and glittering with frost.

I've killed thousands of possums, but I never deliberately ran one over in a car - I'm better than that.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Came round a corner few days ago and there in the middle of my lane was someone’s pet duck, lying on its back with its legs still kicking flat out. Looked like something from a cartoon.
Made sure I ran it over good. Looked in the mirror and low and behold those legs were still going.

I used to swerve to hit possums. These days I try to miss them. I quite like them, and the poor little buggars have got enough to look out for with the green rain.
When I see them stand up on their hind legs and look at my Ute coming I can’t help but think it wouldn’t be a bad way to go though I suppose.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Saw a super Ferret running across the main rd heading right toward the area we have some traps out.  It was bigger than a cat. Well almost.... Swerved hard to run it over but the guy driving in the opposite direction didnt appreciate how important it is to kill these pests, so had to swerve back again.  Tongue

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
they sure get big up your way,as do the cats......lets hope none of the mainecoon cats get out and start breeding with ferals...they are one big pussytat. I shot 3 ferals one night half hour apart,got first two with lever action 22mag and the dogs treed the third after we chased it down.....strange thing,those 3 cats were hunting as a pack,they had rabbit surrounded. they were a good 3" across top of head......big ferals,a lamb wouldnt stand a chance if they fancied it for dinner.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Some Polecat genes coming to the fore? I wonder if thats possible.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Dad had BIG cat skin on door of the possum skin shed for years....it was in a trap on side of log,he reckons he stepped over log ,this cat came up at him and nearly removed his child sireing capabilities,he used hammer to get its attention and sconed it with machete....it wasnt happy with foot in a gin trap......Im talking 40 plus years ago when gin traps were the legal normal thing to use,before any Karen gets her panties in a bunch.

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 8:35am
Print Post  

I thought 'Polecat' was just a generic term for any of the mustelids, but talking about big cats, I trapped one at the Yankee River hut 'dump' on Stewart Island back in the seventies that was bloody huge. There were some 36 inch possum boards in the hut and that cat skin went one and a half boards long.

I also had a really pissed off cat jump on my thigh where it turned into a whirlwind - then it leapt clear, stalked off and licked it's paws.
That was my partner's cat and if I'd been holding a .22 I'd have shot the bastard thing right there and then.

And I see the European Polecat is a distinct species - learn something every day  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards