This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Another day at the office. (Read 16310 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Another day at the office.
Reply #30 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Some early morning pics.

Toward Tekapo Saddle

Toward the Seven Sisters

RIP An overly fat wild cat. Makes me wonder what its been eating. Should of had a look.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Will be chokka full of native skinks Angry

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #32 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
might have been belly full of arms n legs of feline variety.... so a timely shot. natures beauty on display ,you have captured it well.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Nice... its a big part of the reason we go hunting - being out in nature in beautiful environments.

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  

And to 'get away' from all the bullshit  Smiley

"Melanie's having a birthday on Saturday."
"Wot ...... she had one last year !"
"So, you're gonna have to wash."

"f**k off ........ I'm going hunting."

Or sitting, or hiding .......... or just avoiding the bloody dishes  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #35 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Hmm, thanks for the replys. Theres a bit of an afterstory to that cat pic. I thought when I shot her she looked damm healthy for a wild cat which her markings point to. Wild cats round here all look pretty much the same in color and patterning.

Anyway I spied on the local facebook page a day later someone reporting a lost cat since a few days with the pic of a younger version of the cat I shot... so I went out and picked up the carcass and had the lost cat owner come around to identify it.  Just to be clear that cat was about 2km outside the town and had been missing several days. Turns out to be their pet which was indeed adopted from a wild cat litter.  Sad for the owner but I pointed out it,  like its markings indicated it would have a strong hunt drive in its genes and had probably decided to go for a very long hike....

Two questions to those of you that know wild cats.. do they all look similar through the whole of NZ, they certainly do in this part of the world, and do adopted wild cats tend to wander back to the wild more than the more domesticated varieties.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Two questions to those of you that know wild cats.. do they all look similar through the whole of NZ, they certainly do in this part of the world, and do adopted wild cats tend to wander back to the wild more than the more domesticated varieties.

To be honest HC, havn't shoot 1 in a while, but when I was shooting around Culverden regularly yes seem to be all tabbies.
But few years later was shooting around Wamaik Gorge regularly and they were a mixed bag and were id'ed by their body condition (or lack there of) and duly dispatched.
I put it down to more people dumping their pets around the wamaik gorge and the poor domestic kittycat having no idea how to survive ??
Only problem with this conversation is we are making Gareth Morgan sound like a conservationist.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Have shot lots of them at farmers' request in north canterbury and they can vary markedly. Alot are abandoned house cats with all the variety that entails, some are wild, but all are pests and deadly to local native wildlife

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #38 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 8:48am
Print Post  
The announcement of the death of this cat on Facebook caused quite a few angry comments such as ''f**king hunters'' and this person needs to be reported to the police etc... Its rather disappointing but indicative of just how removed from reality some members of the public are , after they have relocated themselves to live in the Mackenzie Basin.

There where also quite a few comments supporting the owner for stating she had recently removed the pesky collier and bell it had on its neck, ''so it could hunt better''. WTF are these people thinking.

My reply.

For clarity: The cat was not shot by a ''hunter''. It was shot some distance from the town , about 3 km from the town boundary, during  lawful and necessary pest control work on Private Land.  Wilding cats are one of New Zealand's introduced predators and cats outside in the wild are a danger to New Zealands endangered small species such as skinks, frogs and birds. A single cat will eat or kill up to 20 native lizards in a day. No Problem. We endeavor to reduce the number of wild cats in the Mackenzie. All cats hunt. It is the bent of their nature. All cats can at times return to the wild and some stay there, as food is often plentiful. Cats that are adopted from litters of wild cats are possibly more prone to wandering and making long journeys. It is part of their genetic make up. Just as their markings are passed from generation to generation so too their strong hunt drive. I do not recommend adopting wild cats. It can end in tears. They are trapped and shot through all areas of the Mackenzie, where YOU are now living, and the pressure on wild cats will only increase as New Zealand moves toward its stated goal of being predator free by 2050.  If anyone is wanting to discuss the circumstances further txt or call me on 021......  Stephen.  RIP Daisy.

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:44am
Print Post  

Get a lot of litters dumped out here and they have quite an impact on wild life.
When I came here forty years ago the place was full of quail and pheasant, I actually postponed the tractor to put my drive in as I had a hen nesting on the section.
Was bugger all people lived here then, just 12 families along quite a few miles of road.
Over the next ten years, young couples arrived and brought their pets - and the birds disappeared. From seeing mobs of a dozen pheasants on the section - it went to zero.
So I shot the neighbour's cat from along the road when I saw it sneaking over to where the pheasants used to nest.

Was a family cat and they loved it, put up posters and walked the neighbourhood looking and asking after it ............ and I felt rotten.
"No, haven't seen it mate."

Only cat I ever shot - was hard to do.

Almost everyone has a cat out here these days, even us and I'm always scooping up bird carcasses ............ "Your f**king cat's killed another goldie."
I don't like our cat, I wont let him sit on me - and he loves me for it. The ginger bastard has trained me to feed him ten times a day and to wipe all the crap off him when he falls in the effluent hole, which he does when he's scrapping with next doors cat. And the bastard thing laxes out in the sun and sleepily watches me swearing over the car.

Might cover that hole over I think - but cats are here and here to stay I think.

IP Logged

frogfeatures

Better no meat, than no
mate....

Reply #40 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Sep 12th, 2020 at 8:48am:
The announcement of the death of this cat on Facebook caused quite a few angry comments such as ''f**king hunters'' and this person needs to be reported to the police etc... Its rather disappointing but indicative of just how removed from reality some members of the public are , after they have relocated themselves to live in the Mackenzie Basin.

There where also quite a few comments supporting the owner for stating she had recently removed the pesky collier and bell it had on its neck, ''so it could hunt better''. WTF are these people thinking.

My reply.

For clarity: The cat was not shot by a ''hunter''. It was shot some distance from the town , about 3 km from the town boundary, during  lawful and necessary pest control work on Private Land.  Wilding cats are one of New Zealand's introduced predators and cats outside in the wild are a danger to New Zealands endangered small species such as skinks, frogs and birds. A single cat will eat or kill up to 20 native lizards in a day. No Problem. We endeavor to reduce the number of wild cats in the Mackenzie. All cats hunt. It is the bent of their nature. All cats can at times return to the wild and some stay there, as food is often plentiful. Cats that are adopted from litters of wild cats are possibly more prone to wandering and making long journeys. It is part of their genetic make up. Just as their markings are passed from generation to generation so too their strong hunt drive. I do not recommend adopting wild cats. It can end in tears. They are trapped and shot through all areas of the Mackenzie, where YOU are now living, and the pressure on wild cats will only increase as New Zealand moves toward its stated goal of being predator free by 2050.  If anyone is wanting to discuss the circumstances further txt or call me on 021......  Stephen.  RIP Daisy.

Well said.
Some people have no grasp of reality, unfortunately

He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #41 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 10:50am
Print Post  
+1 frogfeature's comment.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #42 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
The owner of the cat posted a rather nice reply saying he agreed with everything I said except one should not adopt them and saying he had just had it spayed. Also recieved two rather nasty but not threatening txt messages.  They were not unexpected..  Smiley

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #43 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Should have shot all her wild cousins too Wink.All these newcomers coming to town think their poofy cats and dogs are bullet proof.Wild inbreds always wild and go wandering.3ks out of town,they are on their own.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #44 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
We could form a pussy posse trout.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards