This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 68542 times)
SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #105 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 6:29pm
Print Post  

The bullets showed more accuracy as I increased powder, but I don't ever recall bullets spraying to the same degree as they did today. To see the bullet kick dust a metre or more away from the aiming poinr is quite startling, then to see it do the same a similar dfistance the other side of the target is ................. well, I dunno, got me stumped.
I don't even know if they were going point first, the ones that hit paper did ......... but the rest ?
I never recovered any either, and we did dig for them ..........

The bullet shot well with a different powder - just not with this stuff ............. think I'm gonna have to talk to someone.

Maybe I didn't go high enough with the powder, I might not have been getting the velocity I thought I was - my powder might be weak ............. dunno.

I am a little careful with that gun, it is a .54 and I'm a little leery of running too much fine grained 3F through it - most of the niche makers are making their barrels out of a 'free cutting' steel for ease of manufacture - and I think about that.
Normally I'd be running a coarser grain 2F powder through her to generate lower pressure.

Might try it behind a round ball and see what happens, all I can think of really.

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #106 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Perhaps not enough ooomph to set the minie into the rifling?
I use 3f swiss in my 58 Enfield with good results,42 grains so not a heavy charge.
What sort of accuracy do you get from your Snider?

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #107 - Dec 10th, 2021 at 8:01am
Print Post  

I was shooting these out of my .54 and on a good day I'll be shooting 4 to 6" at 100 yards.
And that might be a fond memory - I used to be able to do that  Smiley

I've decided my bullets might have been a bit hard, I'm running shy of lead and melted a bar I was using to prop up a motor for the last lot I cast. That was part of a bar I cast years ago as ballast for my boat - so it could have contained anything.

The other thing is my new exciting lot of 'alder' charcoal isn't as grunty as my 'willow'charcoal - as you said, not bumping the bullet into the grooves - got deep RB grooves in that gun too.

Gotta go and shoot it again with my carefully prepped hunting bullets I know are soft.

My Snider shoots slightly wider than the .54, I'd call it a 75 yard gun. I'm shooting .60 cal round ball out of that over 85grs 1F powder made with willow charcoal. That's the load I take in the bush in the fond hope I might see something.
Me and the boys have been shooting that a lot, it's why I'm making powder. I'm up around 40 reloads with those Bertram cases and I got a pack (25) magtech 24g shotgun brass I load with 60gr and semolina filler I get 3" at 50 yards.
It's my favourite gun at the moment, a huge amount of fun we shoot offhand at various things we set up on the bank.
Csn only do that when there's no one else there.

But - the .54 with the minie seemed the better gun to test the powder .........

Will do it tomorrow - got lawns today .............

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #108 - Dec 10th, 2021 at 11:54am
Print Post  

Bugger the lawns ...............

Measured out some 80, 85 and 90gr loads and sent my valuable hollow point hunting bullets (all weight sorted to within 2grs) downrange.
And .......... I watched them spread out like a herd of frightened quail ..........

The 90gr loads were noisy, even with ear plugs - and recoil was noticeable - and we got a couple that looked like a group. My son said the third dug a hole 30 feet in front of us, then he found a five year old furrow in the dirt and said .........
"That's it."
"Eh .... I think you were the one we adopted."

In all we got five holes on our gigantic piece of paper - which I really shouldn't be boasting about .............  Embarrassed

Another observation is that I had to clean between shots. The chamber 'crud ring' was very noticeable and I felt resistance and grit all the way down the barrel on my second shot.

I'm over my new powder I was so excited about ........ it's shit.

And now I got to go and do those bloody lawns .............

Afrer I clean the gun.

"It's called priorities my dear."  Wink

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #109 - Dec 10th, 2021 at 2:02pm
Print Post  

A powder produces velocity, and different amounts of powder produce different velocities ........... that's all it does really.

The bullets I have been shooting will put all the bullets into an A4 piece of paper at 100 yards with Goex and my homemade 'willow' powder. I shoot 80grs because it puts those bullets at the bullseye height at that range.
I shoot 3F granulation because I had quite a lot of it, it was a granulation I otherwise ignored.
2F did the job as well.

Different weights of both Goex and 'willow' don't fling my bullets off target, lower weights of those powders send my bullets low on the paper - and even below it.

My new 'alder' powder is giving me velocity, I know that - I see the bullets kicking dust 100 yards away ........... and they don't take forever to get there.
But I can't get two shots to shoot to the same point on the target.

If velocities are the same, then the bullet should shoot to the same place, so my velocities can't be the same shot to shot (with the same powder charge).

It's the only variable I can think of - is it possible my powder is so inconsistant, even when dipped from the same yoghurt container ?
I struggle to see that, my bullets don't impact up and down the target - they fling out to both sides, under and over, and by a long way......... Huh

Yet that same bullet with another powder will find its way to the target every time .............

I'm missing something ......... and it's probably something really simple.

Like blowing a minie skirt ...............

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #110 - Dec 12th, 2021 at 9:30am
Print Post  

Found sixteen minies I hadn't fully prepped - hadn't hollow pointed them.
I parked my car forty yards from the target and fired sitting on the ground leaning against the front tyre, elbows on knees.

Fired 4 shots of each .............

75grs 'willow' powder, 3F.......................   75mm group
75grs 'alder' powder, 3F ....................... 290 "        "
75grs    "          "      2F ....................... 180 "        "
75grs    "          "      1F ....................... 490 "        "

I cleaned between shots, one damp and one dry patch and I felt a slight chamber crud ring after each shot and a bit of grittiness in the barrel.
The 1F sounded distinctly different to the others - more 'boomy' and less 'cracky'.

I don't know why that powder 'shoots' as it does, perhaps because the charcoal is undercooked.
Perhaps I can get the 2F shooting better with more development ......... lots of perhaps's, but right now I'm feeling defeated.

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #111 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 8:15pm
Print Post  

Loaded the Snider with the round ball and the 'alder' powder and shot it at fifty yards ........

82.0grs of 2F shot a 5 inch group.
75.0grs of 3F shot a 4 inch group.

That's not particularly great, but both were 'sturdy' loads and I'm in the 'ballpark' now and I'm glad - I got a lot of that charcoal  Smiley

IP Logged

SF91

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #112 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 2:53pm
Print Post  

70.0grs of 3F 'alder' powder shot a ragged group of 2" at fifty yards with the .60 cal round ball (320grs) - five shots.
I haven't shot it any further, but that load flattens the Muron pistol primer and feels 'strong'.
My standard load for the ball was 85grs 1F of 'willow' powder I drop tubed into the case, and that would shoot through two square plastic 20 litre oil containers filled with water back to back at fifty yards.
That 85.0grs 1F 'willow' powder was a relatively soft shooting load - the 'alder' load has sharper recoil and I'm wondering if I've reached the velocity level with the RB in the 1:48" twist Snider ..... ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards