This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Russell SF Hut (Read 2371 times)
SAKO 30-06
Donor Member

Good Boy.....

Russell SF Hut
Jun 12th, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
When I was a Kid, I use to talk into a hut in the Russell State Forest, I think it was from Puhi Puhi road or that area. We parked on farm land by a half round hay barn and the first part of the walk there was a small river to your left, it started on old farm/logging tracks before you went into the bush. It was only a couple of hours walk from memory and the hut was on a good sized clearing and well built. I think it was the Whangarei tramping club that built it in the 80s, I'm guessing its age. I was last in there in '92 and the track was getting hard to follow then.
Is it still there? anyone have any pics?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2015 at 11:28am by SAKO 30-06 »  

Wirehaired, mans best friend

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: Russell SF Hut
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
used to hunt pigs and goats there years ago but haven't been there for years.
the farm ownership has changed a few times now so not sure of access through it anymore.
I used to access it from the forestry on the other side of the valley.
goats are a rare sight there now due to doc culling and goats being rounded up and sold on the farms around there.
haven't heard that the huts gone though.
have seen the hut clearing fully ploughed up by pigs but that was a long time ago.

IP Logged

SAKO 30-06
Donor Member

Good Boy.....

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I knew you were the man to answer this Chris haha
It must be one of the least used huts around, I don't think it shows up on any maps as its not a DoC hut.
I use to go in there with my father shooting goats when I was still at school. There was always plenty about, not huge mobs but you'd come across say 4 or 5 pockets of 6 to 8 in a day.
Yeah, I'd seen that clearing turned over a couple of times but never had any dogs  Sad

Wirehaired, mans best friend

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
yeah it used to be good for goats. I shot a heap of them there and in the forestry next door.
I think your right in saying its a tramping club hut.
I always knew it as "the trampers hut".
doc may have some info on it at the local office.

IP Logged

reidpaulnz
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2021 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Is this the hut you visited as a kid? https://hutbagger.co.nz/huts/paremata

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards