This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problem: Loose rings and mounts or loose shooting (Read 4845 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Problem: Loose rings and mounts or loose shooting
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
As you do the final tightening turn on the screw give the screwdriver a sharp tap with a hammer , this sets the screw in tight . If you use epoxy one day it will cost you when you break off a screw and a gunsmith has to do some work . I have used flexiable rod varnish as a locker sealer where needed for years  , it isnt a tough as lock tite but holds well without cracking .
Bushnell used to put a little advisory note with their scopes saying 1 thou at the scope was 1" of movement at 100 yards , I am not up on the maths but it dosent take much Shocked movement at the scope to turn into a miss

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Nobbert,

From memory, scope related things that have needed some tinkering from yours truly. I may have sloppy friends, but here it goes:

A list of NOT TO DOīs

Donīt buy a gun without checking the complete scope mount.
Donīt assume that the mount can handle excessive abuse.
Donīt take for granted that bases are bored linear in action.
Donīt mount a scope without lapping the rings (there are exceptions)
Donīt buy rings/bases "cheaper" than Weaver.
Donīt overtighten screws.
Donīt forget to use LocTite, resins or other gripping media.
Donīt assume that all rings are 1" or 30 mm.

Gerry Atric

IP Logged

Nobbert
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmmmmm lads ....... u can use epoxy under the bases (to not use it is your first mistake) without getting it on the screw threads. And never use a loctite ( none of the numerous types) under the bases as epoxy will leave it for dead in that application. But ultimately it's all about experience and a proper knowledge of these resins and how to use them. I bet the likes of Greg Duley gets it right every time he mounts a scope. Or Tracey Short. Lapping the rings is basic stuff. And scrape/file any sharp edges off when you're done lapping as otherwise u will have sharp edges that will mark the scope.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards