This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Problem: Loose rings and mounts or loose shooting (Read 5335 times)
west_coast_hunta
Forum Senior

Addicted to hunting

Problem: Loose rings and mounts or loose shooting
Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Howdy
On my recent tahr hunting trip I did some miserable shooting, missing lots of easyish shots 250++ yards.  I had rangefinder and charts etc and have practiced at 450 yards with good results on targets soo...
Before I went out to the range today I loosened my weaver rings that were already slightly loose and realigned my slightly non horizontal crosshairs then retightend.  I also tightened up the bases which were slightly loose.  I then went out to the range and first shot missed the box at around 85 yards.  I bore sighted it and got it shooting bang on again.
I didnt think my tilting scope back into horizontal would have put it off that bad.
Do you think that slightly loose rings and bases would make a big impact on accuracy?  Obviously really loose ones would but they required maybe a full rotation on each max.  And also if loosing then tightening rings enough to allow a small twist could make that difference (maybe with weaver rings cos they pull sideways?)
Look forward to your opinions
WCH

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Re: Problem: Loose rings and mounts or loose shooting
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Anything that causes the scope to be misaligned or move when the rifle is fired will cause significant grief.  Speaking from experience if you have any sort of movement that you can't eliminate permanently dump the rings and start again with the best quality rings you can afford.  I found the Leupold PRW rings to be excellent but YMMV.
Its not smart to skimp on these things as you have learned!

IP Logged

west_coast_hunta
Forum Senior

Addicted to hunting

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Ok i think the rings and bases are fine but were either too loose or need some lock tight applied maybe. I never no how tight is too tight. I just do it firm or as tight before it feels like its going to shit itself Smiley

IP Logged

irgnz
Forum Font

Not too bad

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Tight as the little Allen keys will allow before shearing in 2 or rounding off at the end.
Was informed that with the rings now days you shouldn't need loctight as it is all about thred stretch. Too tight is a cross thread or buggard screw head.
As said, any movement is bad. A lose base can move sideways 1/2mm, which in turn means 200-300mm at 300m. The triangle gets bigger as you increase the range. So keep them as tight as posible.

Never take life seriously. &&Nobody gets out alive anyway. &&
IP Logged

BC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I put a dab of clear nail varnish on the lip between the ring and the scope tube so that I can see if it ever moves. The  polish will crack.
bc

IP Logged

Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Yep had that problem at the long range shoot up here. Roll Eyes Embarrassed turns out loose rings and every time I adjusted for range I would get inconsistant results.

<div style=

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I put a dab of clear nail varnish on the lip between the ring and the scope tube so that I can see if it ever moves. The  polish will crack.
bc

+ 1  on that Bruce,,loose rings miss things  Smileyanother choice if in doubt, run a strip or two of insulation tape around the scope tube then shove the rings on.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

west_coast_hunta
Forum Senior

Addicted to hunting

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
All good info. Cheers guys. Looks like i can blame that as opposed to my shooting Wink

IP Logged

Nobbert
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Don't forget the epoxy lads ! I wouldn't dream of putting bases on a rifle without using a serious two part resin (Not Araldite !!) for considerably increased strength/rigidity. And don't use loctite under the bases either, even one with supposed gap filling properties. And make sure to degrease first to ensure a proper bond. Amen.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
west_coast_hunta wrote on Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:56pm:
All good info. Cheers guys. Looks like i can blame that as opposed to my shooting Wink

Grin never blame your shooter,,,it's the nut behind the bolt that may just need a little tightening,,from time ti time Roll Eyes Wink

IP Logged

west_coast_hunta
Forum Senior

Addicted to hunting

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Haha yeah my stupid fault for not checking it was all good before i went out.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
west_coast_hunta wrote on Jun 28th, 2009 at 4:00pm:
Haha yeah my stupid fault for not checking it was all good before i went out.

Been there done that,,yi not alone Smiley

IP Logged

BC
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I've found the Weaver Quad mounts good. They are only alloy and very light, but if a screw does come loose (or even 2) it doesn't completely compromise the grip that the rings have on the scope.

IP Logged

Nobbert
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
But lads what am I missing here .... I had my first rifle in 1973 and a couple since and I don't remember a screw ever coming loose in the intervening years. Enlighten me please about what NOT TO DO, that causes this to  happen.

IP Logged

irgnz
Forum Font

Not too bad

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But lads what am I missing here .... I had my first rifle in 1973 and a couple since and I don't remember a screw ever coming loose in the intervening years. Enlighten me please about what NOT TO DO, that causes this to  happen.  

Don't play with whats not broke.. Grin Grin

Never take life seriously. &&Nobody gets out alive anyway. &&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards