This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 24 or 26 (Read 3573 times)
benwalden
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

24 or 26
Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
hey guys
was talking to my gun smith about changing the barrel on my tikka 6.5x55 today. at the moment its just the stock barrel but i would like to put a longer one on. i want a hunting rifle so length is important. should i look at a 24 or 26" tube. the gun smith reacons 26 but im not sure. keen to get some more opinions
cheers Ben

not a fan of going up. coming down is far better

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Re: 24 or 26
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
26" will give that extra bit of speed and yards at the top end but make for a long carting rifle but it is easier to lop 2" off that put it back on Wink

IP Logged

benwalden
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
fair call something i didnt think about. what flavour tube would you recommened looking at there leathel

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 6:37am
Print Post  
I have shilen and trueflight....both shoot great but I am hardly experianced in that feild as I have only had a couple done Wink

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 8:32am
Print Post  
I reckon you gotta make that call on what type of hunting you do. If your rifle is purely a tops rifle 26" barrell is maybe worth considering. If your rifle is a combo of tops and bush your probably better off with 24" or 22"barrell. If all you do is mostly bush hunting,then maybe better sticking with 22" or shorter...

Personally only ever owned one rifle with a 26" barrell for tops hunting and found it a bit of a pain if you had to go through bush or scrub....

IP Logged

Nobbert
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I say only change that barrel if it aint shooting well now as the gains are never gonna be earth shattering, you'll just have a firearm that's a little less portable (and a barrel a little less stiff). You could get a tight neck chamber in 6.5x55 AI from the lads at Trueflite, trim all your necks, anneal and fireform your present cases and start getting into some accuracy gains via better loaded round concentricity. But I guess that depends on whether u want to fool around with these things and be anal like me or just get on with it and go shooting.

IP Logged

benwalden
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
I say only change that barrel if it aint shooting well now as the gains are never gonna be earth shattering, you'll just have a firearm that's a little less portable (and a barrel a little less stiff). You could get a tight neck chamber in 6.5x55 AI from the lads at Trueflite, trim all your necks, anneal and fireform your present cases and start getting into some accuracy gains via better loaded round concentricity. But I guess that depends on whether u want to fool around with these things and be anal like me or just get on with it and go shooting.

cheers Nobbert, ive just started loading my own rounds and really enjoy it so fluffing about with loading for AI wouldnt bother me. what advantages are there in velocities and range in going that way?
i havent really tested my rifle to any great degree. i know its hitting paper 2" high at 100 pretty much all the time and taking head shots at 200m is point and shoot. im more a hunter for meat and heads over striving for ultimate range or accuracy.
i guess my question should have been "Do i change the stock barrel and go longer" rather than ask which length should i go to?? Huh

IP Logged

Nobbert
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Sure you'll gain some velocity with the AI version as is always the case. What happens with these 'new' calibers that we all have to have is they gain notoriety because someone wins a big comp with that chambering so people start writing about it raving about how good the round is ............ but really and truely the basics don't change much and we all just need to strive to get better tecnnique with our reloading and shooting and use the firearm we have properly. But if  we want to get really anal and shoot CONSISTENT good groups then u gotta get serious about all aspects. But mate a deer is a bloody big target and most any half decent shooter is gonna ping them over without getting carried away with the prep stuff. U might choose to just be a hunter and mate there's plenty of skills needed there.

IP Logged

tomjr
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I guess it depends on whether you are going to spend more time crawling through leatherwood or ambling through tussock.  It also depend on the sort of animals you are going after and where (some of the places around here 18" seems mighty long).  While I know plenty of the match swedes were in a 26" barrell I personally don't think the average hunter would notice enough of a difference with the amount of boiler room in the 6.5 swede between a 24" and a 26". Wink

IP Logged

FlinchedAgain
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 9:54am
Print Post  
If you can head shoot them at 200 already, I dont really think youll find any great benefit in changing barrels, unless of course you want to have a change and like fiddling, most places I end up a 22 inch barrel is way too long.

IP Logged

benwalden
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:23am
Print Post  
alot of my hunting is open country but lately ive been getting into abit more bush. ive never found myself out gunned and if i find something too far away i try to get closer. im probly more curious than serious about changing barrels.
cheers guys everything said has helped heaps Wink

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 11:09am
Print Post  
barrel length will affect balance of your rifle . If the tube is too long it will create a front-heavy feel , and will also affect the look of the gun.

In the NZ hunting world I doubt the 2'' difference in barrel length will make a scrap of differance to the shooting capability of your rifle - what effect is 50 fps of velocity going to have on your deer ? Dead is dead whether its at 1000 fps or 4000 fps.

Accuracy over velocity any day .

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

machblack1
Donor Member

Machiavelli got it right

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
26", you can always have it cut down?

IP Logged

Ndoda

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I would go 22". Trend nowadays is for shorter barrels to stop the whipping effect especially onc the thing heats up. Trend nowadays is for 20" barrels for most calibers (not magnums etc though). Velocity loss is minimal once the powder has burnt out. And since you are loading, you can use of quick powder I would think.

Greg

IP Logged

Spanners
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Tops hunting 26.. bush stalking 22"

The velocity drop is bugger all, and it a pure joy to carry a 20" in the bush.. so how about 23" as a happy medium?  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards