This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Trademe and firearm licence numbers (Read 10385 times)
Kiwi Vince
Forum Font

"I Am Easily Satisfied
With The Very Best"

Re: Trademe and firearm licence numbers
Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Sorry TJ, the Privacy Act applies to anyone who holds private information on another person. I work with it every day.

I think you are referring to the Official Information Act which as you said only applies to Govt depts although that includes any Govt body such as a council etc too.

I think Trade Me will use an automated system to check the Licence number is valid the same as banks do re IRD numbers when you open an account. What happens with a bank is when they are loading your details in the 'puter it logs in to IRD and and the IRD computer simply confirms whether or not the number is valid, nothing more. Its a mathematical check only as others have pointed out.

I doubt much would be gained by getting a copy of what Trade Me holds on you, it will just be whatever you have supplied them and trading history and for us our license number.

I do share concerns as to who can access this stuff though.

IP Logged

NZVarminter
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:31am
Print Post  
here is some further comments from Gary Howat at COLFO when I raised the issue of Trademe disclosing firearms owner detailes to the Police.

"Yes my details were some disclosed in this also. I believe the License being asked for was done in conjunction with the Police. Trademe will drop gun sales if it becomes to big an issue as it is a very minor part of their business. There are some gun owners who work in Trademe and they want to see it continue. Not ideal but I choose not to buy and sell online there now."

IP Logged

Al Ramsay
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:39am
Print Post  
This is also possibly why eBay made the decision to make firearms and some parts unable to be listed with them?

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #33 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Banks use Paystation which has a layered security system for transactions.
Trademe has this protection for FA license numbers?
Is it cool idea to have easy access to things like passport numbers, license numbers, addresses, birth dates-points for identification. In this day and age?
Just guessing until trademe advises....

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #34 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Trademe reply so far.

Quote:
Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for contacting us.

I have looked into this for you and can confirm that we have systems in place whereby we are able to verify the information. Due to the sensitivity of the information however I am unable to comment directly on exactly how we do this.

We hope you continue to enjoy the site.  Have a great day.

If you have further questions regarding this issue please reply and we will answer your email as soon as possible.

Regards,

Mel

Trade Me Support
http://www.trademe.co.nz

Our conversation so far:

Hi . Just regarding Trademe getting verification for firearms bidding.
How do you know if the bidders license number is correct?

Thanks
xxxxx

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #35 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Ask them specifically if they are getting the information from the police, cite the Privacy Act (which I understand requires them to tell you exactly what their source of information is), what their specific processes are for safeguarding your information, and mention the Privacy Commissioner if they don't give you a good answer.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #36 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 11:32am
Print Post  
No I think they are safe regarding that . I can ask about my information they have stored?? But they have no need to declare anything about their security arrangements.

http://www.privacy.org.nz/assets/Files/82227719.pdf

Read rule 5 and 6.

I could tell them to delete my info. Which would isolate them if they held seperate information details.

IP Logged

Tyler

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #37 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Can i throw another angle on this , all the chat is about buying, what is stopping the sale of firearms from an unlicenced seller. (stolen firearms) If they can fluke a licence number. Does one asked for a licence validation from the seller. I have never traded on tm (ignoranse is bliss) and never will.. probably.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #38 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for contacting us.

We are legally required to hold onto information for a certain time-frame so unfortunately we cannot delete this number. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

You may like to read through our Privacy Policy which should answer your concerns. It is available here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Help/Topic.aspx?help_id=145

If you have further questions regarding this issue please reply and we will answer your email as soon as possible.

Regards,

OK they hold everyones firearms license numbers in their own records.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #39 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Bugger, I just wanted to ask a question on a air rifle auction and got asked for a #... that's retarded, TM knows my age - and I dont need a license for a bloody air rifle!

Bastards.

IP Logged

grunta
Forum Font

Reply #40 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Kickstart wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:02pm:
Bugger, I just wanted to ask a question on a air rifle auction and got asked for a #... that's retarded, TM knows my age - and I dont need a license for a bloody air rifle!

Bastards.

Hey,

quick question - but how do they know your age?

cheers
Grunta  Smiley

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Reply #41 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Kickstart wrote on Jun 25th, 2009 at 9:02pm:

Bastards.

Check the persons other listings for a non-firearm related auction and ask there?

<div style=

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
They let us save our passwords in order to log in why can't they do the same thing with the firearms numbers? Saves us putting it in each time.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #43 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Seems like a good idea there Tim.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #44 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I thought I had put my age in when I registered...  Not that I've ever shown them any proof of existance...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards