This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Trademe and firearm licence numbers (Read 10387 times)
NZVarminter
Donor Member

Trademe and firearm licence numbers
Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Well I've just be locked out of Trademe because I gave an invalid firearms licence number!

I got an email from support@trademe.co.nz saying the following

"We note that you have continued to enter incorrect firearms licence information when bidding on a firearm.

As stated in a previous email to you, this is a very serious matter and your ability to bid on auctions in the rifle and shotgun categories has been removed.

If you fax us a photocopy of your firearms licence we will re-enable this ability. Please fax this to us on 04 974 4820 and include your username on the fax. Alternatively, you can email us a copy of your firearms licence as an attachment to tmcs@trademe.co.nz.

If you have any questions regarding this issue please use the 'contact us' link at the bottom of any Trade Me page."

Well I've looked in the "Contact us" link and I'm buggered if I can find any "contact details", No ph numbers, no email. Trademe dont want to talk to their customers at all!

So it appears the only option I have to send them an abusive fax or email to tmcs@trademe.co.nz.

How about everyone who uses trademe for firearms faxing them on 04 974 4820 advising them that their requirement to provide your firearms licence number is a serious breach of privacy, and you therefore want an assurance they will not give this information out and if they cant give you that assurance, you will stop using trademe!

You could also ask them to provide some real contact details on their contact links page so their customers can actually talk to someone!

Come on, if they suddenly received 150 faxes complaining, they may reconsider their policy!

Cheers

Grant

IP Logged

Spiker
Ex Member

Re: Trademe and firearm licence numbers
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:25am
Print Post  
They arn't worth dealing with. buggered if I want to make them any money

IP Logged

gamehunter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:41am
Print Post  
they have an 0900 number which I think is stupid as they are making more money when you ring them about anything even though trademe is an avenue for selling and buying I feel that they need to have a normal landline number for general issues

IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
NZVarminter wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:19am:
Come on, if they suddenly received 150 faxes complaining, they may reconsider their policy!

To be honest, nice idea but TM are going to do whatever they please. A check right now shows over 43,000 people online.

All you can do is choose to purchase somewhere else.

or setup another account, but don't continue to use a wrong FAL number  Smiley

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Two questions - how do they know the number is false and ... why does it matter if they know what your licence number is?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
If I sent the police a offical information request asking how a private company is getting and verifying our firearms licence numbers, they would have to comply wouldnt they? Undecided

<div style=

IP Logged

Mossie

BANG!!!......now roll
over

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I asked this question:

Just wondering why it is compulsory to enter a firearms licence number for asking questions on Firearms? It is noted in the announcments that this is to comply with the law.

I feel it is a concern that a third party could be holding my contact details, address etc and my firearms licence.

What assurances do you have that prevent these details from being released?

This was the response I recieved:

Dear Jordan,

Thanks for contacting us.

We hold firearms license numbers securely and do not forward them to anybody else except where we are legally required, i.e if we have been served a search warrant by the police.

Although we initially only required firearms license numbers when bidding on firearms, many members were trying to bypass this by placing their contact details in the Q&A. As much as we don't want this to happen, at least now if it does we have a record of who has purchased the firearm. This means we are in a better position to help the police if something horrible happens as a result of someone procuring a firearm off Trade Me.

If you have further questions regarding this issue please reply and we will answer your email as soon as possible.

Regards,

Sophia-Grace

Trade Me Support

I love all animals....especially with gravy.....

IP Logged

yawn
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Iv had a 3 day email battle with them, they know my thoughts and they have not got my FAL number.

IP Logged

Digit
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Dont give trademe your firearms licence number. You will be giving up your own personal security. It only takes a disgruntled ex trademe staff member to sell your data to the higest bidder. It is not there right to collect this data from you.

Do attempt to contact the person privately through the auction - use the pretense that you want to inspect the goods. This allows you to initaite a private sale. You then only run the risk of abusing the trademe rules and this is hard to prove.

Industry Antagonist
IP Logged

grunta
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Hey all,

I can understand why people are getting a bit cranky about this, but do any of you guys give out your visa number to buy goods? goods that could be ammo, or anything else gun related? if you do, whats the probs about a license number? when you buy a gun through a shop, they take down your details.

Everyone to there own opinion and i'm not supporting trademe, but obviously they are allowed to do what they're doing, and if you dont like it, dont use them. Simple.

Grant

IP Logged

NZVarminter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
the issue is that if trademe user details end up in the wrong hands, someone will be a very large list of people and addresses who have a firearms license and are therefore a good candidate for having firearms stolen!

Trademe have no legal requirement to hold or verify that the person they are "brokering" the deal has a firearms licence, that up to the individuals making hte sale/purchase

IP Logged

Whisper

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
grunta wrote on Jun 23rd, 2009 at 6:14pm:
Hey all,
I can understand why people are getting a bit cranky about this, but do any of you guys give out your visa number to buy goods? goods that could be ammo, or anything else gun related? if you do, whats the probs about a license number?
Grant

If someone tries to put some fraudulent transactions on your Visa card the bank will reverse it and launch an investigation, which is part of the rights you have when you use their service.

If you get robbed because someone from trade me sold your FAL details to a criminal what rights do you have?

IP Logged

gamehunter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
there is an explanation trademe is a cover up site to thier real site which they wish no one to know about as it was a retard who started it all but lets expose trademe for what it really is right here right now(I think I posted this a while ago)  Grin Grin Grin

Ladies and gents I proudly present to you trademe's real site www.tardme.co.nz

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Yes it is interesting they have the license numbers already for verification?
I'm sure my bank would balk at giving out my credit card numbers.
Its all down to perspective.

Just how does it work?
Have the Police already supplied Trademe with numbers to get instant access.
They don't seem to have. "Ah hold on mate need to check the police first". No its instant.
There is something strange here? How does it work.

Quote:
Hi . Just regarding Trademe getting verification for firearms bidding.
How do you know if the bidders license number is correct?

Thanks

A simple question for trademe has just been sent.

IP Logged

karearea

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
As has been stated before the FAL number allocation is probably controlled by an algorithm, with a check digit of some sort, much like credit cards (see http://www.merriampark.com/anatomycc.htm).

If so, it is a simple matter to run the inputted number through the reverse of the algorithm and get a valid/invalid answer, hence it being instant, when they tell you a number is invalid.

Now, if you found out what the algorithm was you could create your own number(complete with satanic messages for all you Dan Brown fans Grin), that would pass the test and TM would be happy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards