This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) What calibre? (Read 8210 times)
jacland
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

What calibre?
Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Have been thinking and would like to hear everyones thoughts on what the perfect all round calibre would be. Im talking in the bush, open tops, tahr, chamois, reds, wap, in short the calibre for all New Zealand Game.

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Re: What calibre?
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:56am
Print Post  

IP Logged

NW
Forum Font

:)

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Thats the age old question on here  Grin. You'd be better off asking how longs a piece of string i rekon.

IP Logged

gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:58am
Print Post  
All of them

IP Logged

Hamish.
Forum Font

Solo

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Hmmm... Ideal calibre... (IMHO)

Chamois: 25-06
Tahr: .280
Reds tops: 7mm rem mag
Reds bush: .308
Wapiti: 300 win mag

So the best around calibre would have to be the 25-80rem-win08mag.

In all seriousness get the biggest calibre you are comfortable shooting and it will kill everything in New Zealand comfortably. The 300 win mag would probably be the “kill everything with ease” calibre for New Zealand but many others are more comfortable to shoot or have slight advantages in certain situations.

And you do have to ask yourself where is the fun in having one gun for everything.

IP Logged

Delerium
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Depends on what yoru requirements are. Eg cost to run, how easy is it to find ammo, recoil, barrel length etc.

I went throught the same things last year. I ended up deciding between 280, 270, 6.5x55 and 260. Ended up with 6.5x55. Im only a lightweight so didnt want something unpleasant to shoot, so recoil was a factor in my decision.

280 was too hard to find in a factory rifle (new), and .260 was still a new comer and I wasnt sure if it would hang around. 6.5x55 also handles heavier projectiles as It apperas that .260 they are seated too deep into the case meaning less powder. that left 270 and 6.5x55. I ended up going with 6.5x55, as it is mild to shoot and is big enough for anything in NZ. To get the velocity to compete you need to buy eruo ammo or load your own. So ill be reloading for it soon enough with vhitavuori powder, to get velocty to around 2800 fps with 140 grainers.

IP Logged

Jakewire
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
At 15yrs, you possibly haven't shot alot of different calibers,so If you have family older friends etc with rifles I'd have a look at what they have and if you can , shoot some of their rifles.
The one thing you don't want is to evenually buy a bigger caliber than you can handle, this will put you off in lots of ways.
One of the main ones is recoil
Heavy recoil won't help with your accuracy and a perfectly good rifle may be discarded as "Not a Shooter" because of this.

Although, maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here and you are not looking for a caliber to buy after your next birthday, just a discussion, In which case check leathels post.

Please clarify what you mean,
cheers and welcome to the forum.

Quis Custodiet Ipos Custodes

IP Logged

benwalden
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
6.5x55 is a good place to start. really cheap to run. around $1.60ish for ammo or $1.20ish to reload. great ballistics (given a half decent set up) and if you get something like a mauser there are parts a plenty for upgrades and fixem jobs.
i own 2 now and wouldnt touch anything else. havent found anything yet that hasent gone down.
no recoil and light enough so you dont mind carrying it about the hills.
but its up to you. like ojr said, if you know someone with different calibres, go out and try them.

good luck mate, keep us informed of how your going with your choice

not a fan of going up. coming down is far better

IP Logged

Desperado
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
After extensive research I've decided to go with a .338 Marlin, why??? Because I can.  Cheesy
But at 15, I went out and got a trusty old .303 British and had a ball, and most importantly, what I hit went down. I had a lot of mates with .222's & .243's and I saw a lot of deer run away, maybe hit, maybe not. In the hands of a good shooter they are great, but I'm not one of those and a .30 calibre in the engine room gets em' down every time!!!
I knew a few guys that got a .308 and still have them, that says a lot. Heard good things about the 7mm - 08 to.

Good luck and enjoy your choice

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Good choice young man, 30/30 is probally the most usefull, along with the cool guns to fire them around.
Later save up and but something else.

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
7mm-08

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
jacland wrote on Jun 16th, 2009 at 11:54am:
Have been thinking and would like to hear everyones thoughts on what the perfect all round calibre would be. Im talking in the bush, open tops, tahr, chamois, reds, wap, in short the calibre for all New Zealand Game.

good luck with your choice mate  Smiley  just wade through all the bullshit and sift through everyone's opinions (mine included!) till you work out what you want.  then comes the money equation!!  seriously though, there is some bloody good advice on here - ive already made a couple of decisions about my deerstalking rifle after posting threads on here.  cheers to the people who responded  Grin

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes.  It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do.  Keith Draper.

IP Logged

gamehunter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
.308 or 6.5x55 you can't go wrong with those two calibers

IP Logged

Norwegianwoods
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Of the factory cartridges, the 6.5x55 gets my vote.
Great ballistics, low recoil and a great number of different bullets from low weight varminting bullets to heavier bullets for deer and elk.
I use 6.5 for everything from hares to european moose.
The ammo cost is rather low too Smiley

IP Logged

steveh054
Forum Senior

Rugers are Shit

Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 3:54am
Print Post  
In New Zealand .308 can't really be beaten - you can buy ammo for them anywhere. If you reload you can load them with 110 grain pills thru to 220gr and there is nothing in NZ you cannot kill with all the variety of projectiles - powder and shit you can get that is suitable for .308. I have a Howa better than Sako .308 that shoots many beasties every year. ('cept this year 'cause I'm in Ozzie) It hits harder than a 2-poofy-70 (like gimp uses) is cheaper to run than a 25- costalot- 06 ( like Carlsen Highway uses) it is as accurate as the average shooter can shoot and you can only kill an animal so dead. So I ask you,-- what is the best caliber for NZ???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards