This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sako Actions (Read 6924 times)
souwester
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Sako Actions
Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
What does everyone think about the older Sako actions, basically the models prior to Model 75,and in particular the Hunter models of the 80's and early 90's.I have heard that many people prefer them to the newer models or is this just nostalgia.Also how do they rate compared to a Remington? Smiley

IP Logged

Neckshot

Pain in the neck

Re: Sako Actions
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Quote "And on the eight day, the good Lord created the Remington bolt action rifle"

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
the older actions are simply primo

IP Logged

RichB
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
All Sakos have much better extractors than Remingtons (a common customisation of Rem actions is the installation of of a Sako extractor!) and they have mechanical Mauser type controlled ejection. Remington 700's have plunger/pistol type ejection. Many of the earlier Sako sporting rifles had various commercial FN mauser actions, these were similar in design and styling to the Husqvarna 1100 Hi-Power. Then came the various L61 L579 etc variations where over time there were changes to the bottom metal, triggers, stocks and various deluxe and carbine (full stock) models. In the early eighties there were changes to the bolt shroud (the A series) and the introduction of the Sako AV Fibreclass, Laminated versions, Handy & Battue carbines, Classic grades (like Seventenths .280) etc, The A series consisted of the AI (short) AII (medium) AIII (standard 30-06 length and a stretched AII) The AIV (Belted Magnum rifles built on AIII with lengthened mag box and different follower) and The AV which had a larger diameter bolt than the AIII, wider mag box and a little longer bridge, lengthened tang for better bolt travel. In the early 90's came the 691 591 491 series that had an inferior trigger, a blocky heavier action (no machining of side walls and a bolt on recoil lug rather than the one piece machined forging) these were some of the changes made to cut rising costs over what were perhaps the best value push feeds ever made. (I bought a brand new AII 7mm-08 for only $1450) Things picked up again with the great trigger and improved wood quality etc of the 75...

The Hunter models refered simply to the wood stocked 'A' 91 and 75 series rifles in wood blued though there are some in stainless wood. Mcmillan sell alot of these patterns as they are very comfortable. The AV Fibreclass stock was made by them as well. There was also a 995 Fibreclass which had a heavy action similar to a beefed up early Tikka with plunger ejection. This action was the platform for the early TRG's.

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Older hunter actions got 2bolt lugs and a longer throw.

Newer actions 75 an 85, both have 3 lugs and a shorter throw.  Personally, I wouldnt go back to the older 2 lug hunter actions as I much prefer the shorter throw of the 75 and 85 action now that Im used to it.

If you like a good half bolt though,the older hunter actions would most probably have one of the best on a factory rifle ....  

IP Logged

no1wiry

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 10:39am
Print Post  
my mate hunts with a sako a2 in a 243 and its got the most smoothest action ive ever seen good half co*k just a real minter

IP Logged

Battson
Forum Font

7mm RemMag

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 11:18am
Print Post  
While sitting in the rain at Smythe hut in the heart of the Sorthern Alps, Avon7 and I discussed this exact topic.

He suggested (having more experience than I) that a Sako is needlessly heavier than a Remmington, and that both are about as strong as one-another, and of comparable quality or even that Remington are perhaps a little better (older actions at least).

My 2c  Smiley

IP Logged

N w Ruahine

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
You can also get a smooth as silk action with a judicious use of fine wet and dry paper but be careful about polishing too much off the lugs. The forester beats the hunter but the 75 has some attractive features i.e. the detachable mag ,synthetic, and its weight. The 85 wooden models are shite but that is because of the beretta influence.

IP Logged

souwester
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys Smiley,sounds like they are a pretty good action.Remingtons seem to get good raps action wise as well.

IP Logged

Crochunter

All good things are wild
and free

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I Have owned many Sako rifles, and a few Remingtons as well. Like comparing a Ford with a Jaguar. I regret selling all my Sakos really. Should of hung onto them. Beautiful hunting rifle. Heavy is not a problem, they shoot better. With .243 calibre shooting for me from 3 yards to 300 was just a reflex action with the same deadly result. Never ever let me down. Lost very few animals, it was a rarity. I managed to pick up a L579 .243 heavy barrel varmiter which I am looking forward to having some fun with. Even so, I still reckon my Mannlicher Pro Hunter is better.

My favourite back-country fishing tackle - .243 lead spinner

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
The TRG was a Tikka baby then Sako came along and....

IP Logged

Ed Wennink
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I bought my first Sako, an L579 Forester in .308 in the late '60s, and sold it cheap to a mate in the early '70s... when I realised what I had done, I tried to buy it back to no avail! Cry
I have not sold one since!

In the intervening years, I have managed to collect a half dozen more Sakos, 5 'L' series models [3xL461s (2 dlx), and 2 L579 dlx..), and one 'A' series Hunter, which I bought when I gave up waiting for another L579 deluxe to turn up, to rebarrel to .260! Wink
[..which, after I'd searched for four years, it promptly did of course!]

So, I will probably sell the AII Hunter, a wood-stocked .243 with stainless bbl. one of these days... well, maybe.. Tongue

But the 'L' series rifles will be around until my will is read!!  Grin

To put that in perspective, I also have a Sauer 200 switch-barrel and Brno Fox rechambered from .22Hornet to .221 Fireball, among others... but not a single Remington!
(although I admit, I did have a 788 in .223 for a pro 'roo-shooting rifle for a bit)

For the record, they are still very desirable actions for custom rifles.
In the earlier numeric series, the '6' models were long action, '5's were the medium length actions, and the '4's the small ones.

"What...me worry?"

'The greatest wealth is to live content with little'
Plato

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards