This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Last Chance (Read 2447 times)
GQHOON
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Last Chance
Aug 31st, 2008 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
With it being the final weekend of bird hunting, the pup and I ducked out for a day in the Swamp hoping for a crack at a Pheasant or Canada Goose. The river level was still high and the place still in flood. Alot of dead / dieing Koi Carp around in the shallows, mostly smaller fish caught out as the water receeded.

Still plenty of Canadas about. Saw a few big mobs, but also alot of smaller groups and pairs.

Before too long Scruff locked up on a Hare she had seen catching some rays of sunshine beside a hedge.

I couldn't even see it at that point, but as I walked up to where she was indicating it bolted and the Benelli did its job.

Hare #1

Bit further on we got harassed by a pair of Parry's that were sqawking their heads off. Thought they would have disturbed any birds in the area, but fortunately Scruff got on the trail of a Pheasant soon after.

Hot on the trail.

Then she did another long-range point on a patch of blackberry. Scent must have been pretty strong for her to hold this far back. Blackberry is off to the left, just out of view.

The rooster flushed as I got to the blackberry, but being so close I missed with the first two shots. I let it get out a bit further and gave it the good news with a 1 1/8th load of tungsten-iron BB's meant for any geese. Needless to say it dropped like a sack of spuds!

This bird must have been fighting with another rooster as it had a broken tail-feather and a split / broken spur on one leg. This was a good sized bird, so the one that gave it a whipping must be a decent bird.

At that point we turned around and started heading back to the truck. Half way back she got onto another bird.

Better shooting on my part and it was on the ground with 1 shot.

Not a bad way to finish the season.

Happiness is a contented dog. Disclaimer: Thats my ex's couch, so I don't care that she hopped up on it when I wasn't looking Smiley

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Re: Last Chance
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Good stuff hoon. Cool

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool  Great pics GQ.  Hard case that last photo.  Looks like it has been a good first season for the pup.  Bad luck for the roosters.... one more day and they would have made it till next year.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

sidelock
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
good on ya bud. i got ot for a goose hunt and ended up with a good haul of geese.the dog looks great. i have been trying to contact you of late and hope to cach up soon.we had duncan down at andys maimai and i think he had a great time. i shot in my maimai.cheers be good photos to come.

IP Logged

TimboB
Forum Font

A few feathers short of
a whole duck...

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Last photo is a classic! You must have worked the dog hard!  Grin Good stuff! Sounds like a good end to a good season! Roll on next year!

I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbour, and hunt ducks.

IP Logged

GQHOON
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Sidelock - good to hear about the Canadas. I was waiting for the phone call, hadn't got any txts?

Timbo - that girl has got some serious drive and hunts till she drops.

Hairy - had a great season alright! Nothing like watching a dog really come of age, so to speak. We should have had another unlucky rooster added to the tally last night. Got home and let her out of the truck and she went straight out to the cattle-yards beside the house and went on point. Wandered over with the shotty and a rooster got out...2 clean misses and our season was over. I don't think she will hold it against me  Smiley

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
very Cool!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards