This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What its all about (Read 4545 times)
Snuffit
Forum Font

What its all about
Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Yesterday was the beater's day at Lakelands, the end of season get together for beaters, helpers and other stragglers. What a great day, lots of people and dogs out enjoying themselves. Got introduced to a new 'substance' called bullshot as well.... a bottle of sherry, most of a bottle of vodka, mixed into to a hearty beef stock base. In life it's good to try some things at least once, and once was enough for me! Half a cup and life took on a new perspective for a while!!!  Roll Eyes Grin  Shocked

The day ended with a clay shoot, using an auto trap with three hoppers and launchers, sending flurries of targets over the shooters. With the trap wound up to turbo and the shooters placed in a gully with the birds flying back over them, it was a real challenge that everyone took up with great enthusiasm! The action only stopped when ammo ran out, and that was after every coat pocket and pack had been picked over to find any stray rounds at all.

Everyone had a great time, as usual the camaraderie was fantastic. Its just great to see so many people out doing something they love and having fun doing it. Best of all it was good to see youngsters getting right into it (but not the bullshot I hope!!!!).  Grin

Charlie & Andrew on the beater's trailer

Romney Martian and a young fellah (can't remember his name)

First rooster and wasn't he proud! Clutched it all day.  Smiley

Starting young! And loving it!

Mutt parade  Grin

IP Logged

TOP_PREDATOR
Forum Font

Lord Ripon Apprentice

Re: What its all about
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Sounds like a good day out.

Any road blocks this time Angry

To my deep mortification, my father once said to me, ‘You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat-catching and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.’ Charles Darwin
IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Yip I had a good day to. Cool

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Can't have been any Road Blocks as this thread has no moaners in it as yet Grin Grin

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you had a ball, and good to see them encouraging the kids who are tomorrows future in the sport Smiley

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Early in the season there was a shoot where 40 kids were given a days driven shooting. Some of the kids hadnt shot phesants before. Big smiles allround that day.

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
It was indeed a fantastic day, a huge thanks to Guy and Will and the usual suspects. That little fella (2 1/2yrs) was classic, he kept picking up the birds and giving them to people, he was having a ball!

It was great to see the young fellas having shots and getting stuck into the beating and showing some of us up on the clays  Wink (I blame the bulldozershot ...)

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Azza
Forum Senior

Quack Bang Woof

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Yeah it was a wicked day. Cheers Guy and Will and cheers to all you other blokes as well for making it such a great day.
Those young fella's are pretty good shots...I wish I had been taught to use a shotgun at that age. Blitzed me in the clay targets  Grin

YIM  
IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I should have said before - thanks to Guy for the unbelievable generosity and hospitality, and thanks to Will for being the perfect host in the field.

IP Logged

liesel

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
A terrific day put on by Guy and Will, many thanks for the opportunity to pick up for the day.  Crikey the dogs were getting a bit competitive to be first to pick up the birds that did hit the deck Shocked - not a dig at the quality of the shooting you understand Grin Grin  

You lightweights (Snuffit, Cleaky, Mick & co) only had 2/3rds of the experience tho' Wink - the party didn't end 'till after 11 Shocked Shocked Lips Sealed

Liesel

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Some of us had to get up at 4 the next morning to go to work. Wink

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Grin lightweight, I like that  Grin Grin  Cleaky went to a party that started at midnight so he manned up, but I was nighty-night by 10!!!  Cheesy

At least I drank the WHOLE mug of bullshot, not like those who tipped it out. Wouldn't be surprised if the paddock is covered in dead spots by now!!!!

IP Logged

takeakidhunting
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Had a really good day out took the missus with me so she could see what it was all about. The Lakelands team put on a good day and I managed to bag a couple of birds ( but missed heaps) the Calys were good too might start saving to have a days shooting next season.
Couldn't stay to the end though to party through the night as the better half wanted to go home Sad

IP Logged

willy250

Game shooting for all! />

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Glad to see the many good comments etc, sounds as if everyone enjoyed it, thats what it is all about, as well as the shooting!!  Grin

IP Logged

Azza
Forum Senior

Quack Bang Woof

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Finished at 11? Very cool. I wish I could have stayed but unfortunately the missus had jacked up dinner for us at friends. I turned up covered in mud, with a muddy dog that jumped up on my missus to give her a kiss (in her nice clean clothes) Grin

He's such a good dog Wink

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards