This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geoff Thomas Driven shoot (Read 40776 times)
pickled_sausage
Banned

The ghost and the darkness....Chomp
Chomp Chomp :)

Re: Geoff Thomas Driven shoot
Reply #165 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:41am
Print Post  
i agree with clarke,  just as an example we had a drought a bad one at that, and when it broke and it was all lush n green again, the local roo's birds you name it exploded. and so did the dingos pigs cane toads eagles. so anyway a lota preadtors exploaded as well and then animal numbers droped slowly to a managable level on both parts as food slowly not as hard to get. take for instance the beech seed thing, the mice n rats n stotes exploded with the amount of food given to them.

Eh bro!! does this white man taste funny to you???&&naa bro.... must be imported meat.. stick to eating antelopes they taste better.........

IP Logged

Lard

Reply #166 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
Lard wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:23am:
Two or three! Not many is it. When you say 'registered' what do you mean? If you set up a syndicate to shoot a property, all chuck in a few $s, buy a couple of hundred poults, release them and shoot the season, why be registered?

That's all I know about but I'm sure there are many, many more. I don't think they should be registered, my point was intended to convey that thwey are out there but because not registered we don't hear about them... Syndicate members are pretty hush hush about where they put their birds  Smiley

If anyone is interested in the possibility of setting up a syndicate, send me a message.

IP Logged

Lard

Reply #167 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
hairy wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:51am:
I am not sure if you are talking about next to preserves or in the general outdoors Lard?  From my experience this season there are more birds around than ever before, I haven't shot within 40 km of a preserve this season and have shot and chased more birds than ever.  But you need to be prepared to walk a long way to put up birds and even then there can be days when you put up birds but don't get a shot, thats why it is rewarding shooting one.  

IMHO, I think one of the reasons that there are more birds is that predators take a hammering through secondary poisoning from 1080, that lets the birds get one or two good breeding seasons in before predetor numbers build back up again.  So, if you find a patch of scrub that has been 1080ed 18 months ago you shold find some birds in there.

It was more of a rhetorical question, Hairy. In general though in answer to your question. I've actually got at least three males and a couple of hens on my property but leave them alone, it's nice to have them about.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #168 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
+ 1 for the good upland breeding season HQ.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #169 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote]I'm convinced of it having witnessed the Rotoehu population for over 20 years and the changes. The first 10 years i hunted that area the birds got wilder and wilder in their flushing and I have even seen birds fly from a ridge top 500 meters away at the slam of a car door.... The last ten years has seen a marked increase in the number of birds prepared to hold tight.

What you are describing is more of a natural selection type of thing i.e the birds that sit get shot and the ones that fly live to fly another day. after a while the ones who fly will out number the sitters and there will be more of them. Whether that is due to genetics or learnt behaviour who knows for sure.

Quote:
The comparison with deer is relevant but falls down when you look at the amount of exposure to hunters comparatively. In Rotoehu I would think it would be damn near impossible for a rooster to go very long without an encounter with hunters or dogs... it's hammered and attracts hunters from far and wide mainly because the population is so healthy on all of that public access hunting... could this be because there are at least four preserves within a 10 km radius of it?

It's not just numbers of hunters that weed out the less intelligent non survivors especially with deer etc when it comes to helicopters one of them would expose more individual animals to hunting pressure  in one days flying than a heap of hunters even with dogs. Once again it is learnt behaviour that will ensure some survive not genetics. It's a possibility about preserves and if it is it just shows one size doesn't fit all because there are three preserves in my area close together and they have contributed sweet F.A to the population or hunter opportunity.

Quote:
Also, the "dairy desert" analogy is flawed because you seem to be picturing a complete desert. I hunted the surrounding areas of Harekeke all the way from Tahakouri to Orakei Karako and the entire district when based in Taupo. Between that preserve and the forestry (Both private and public access areas) there are many creeks, rough fence lines etc which act as perfect corridors for a Pheasant on the move. I don't envy Raptorman his task. In a straight line from his back boundary to a private forest who used to let us hunt their blue gum area in a straight line (As the pheasant flies) is about 1/2 a mile... I'd love to get back on that block now.... in fact I might have to ring and ask for next season... will truly be worth the trip... and that 500 acre block adjoins a public forestry anyone can hunt that wasn't too bad before the preserve... I'm sure the locals are having a ball there this year.

No it was more of a way to get across that if there isn't habitat on neighbouring farms the pheasants haven't any need to move from their home in the preserve. Yep sounds good for the one close enough to make use of that but no good to the rest of N.Z.

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #170 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
hairy wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:03pm:
+ 1 for the good upland breeding season HQ.

Why do you want a good breeding season Hairy the preserves will supply enough birds to keep everyone happy Wink

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #171 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
As far as i know 2 preserves in the Rotoehu area have been closed since last year, just because they are gazzetted dosen't mean they are still operating.
As Tika says if the surrounding country has no habitat for pheasants then they won't go there, a recent study has shown that Farmers at the approximate age of 55 onwards are the ones who will start reinstating wetlands and habitat for birdlife, a new sharemilker will drain anything wet to enable more production.
I just wish there was a happy medium somewhere Embarrassed

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

dannyboy
Donor Member

Reply #172 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
the place that im renting was out standing for birds , had all the habitat in the world you could not ask for anything more, on my daily walk the pup would point/flush up to 18 pheasants in 2hours very very easily  Cool ! and huge huge mobs of quail , but a farmer that milks has got the place  now and in the last month all the birds have all moved to the farms next door, the quail are still there but the pheasants have gone  Cry
the chopper has been in a couple of times now and all the habitat is gone  Cry

"If you are gonna live life on the edge you better have good balance"

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #173 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Am afraid thats happening all over the country now Danny, that is why F/G promote habitat restoration as one of the main objectives and no net loss of wetland permissable.

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

RomneyMartian

Shooting snipe on Romney
Marsh is tops

Reply #174 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
DukShooter wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 6:31pm:
Am afraid thats happening all over the country now Danny, that is why F/G promote habitat restoration as one of the main objectives and no net loss of wetland permissable.

Just out of interest, what is in it for the farmer if he restores habitat for game?

IP Logged

dannyboy
Donor Member

Reply #175 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
RomneyMartian wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:53pm:

Just out of interest, what is in it for the farmer if he restores habitat for game?

if he/she is willing to open it up to the public F&G will help found/organize the restoration i think ?

eastern allow a fair amount of time in the yearly work plan to help land owners out

"If you are gonna live life on the edge you better have good balance"

IP Logged

kawhia
Ex Member

Reply #176 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
a/w will set up a road block in case ya get any kids shooting on the place Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #177 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:25pm
Print Post  

Most Farmers i would think would do it to enhance their own shooting on the land or prefer to see a pond instead of a boggy swamp. In some cases if the habitat restoraton is extensive ie: a large wetland developed, providing a Queens Covenant can be placed on it F/G will help with funding" the duckstamp fund" trees, planting, planning etc.

IP Logged

RomneyMartian

Shooting snipe on Romney
Marsh is tops

Reply #178 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 8:15am
Print Post  
DukShooter wrote on Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:25pm:

Most Farmers i would think would do it to enhance their own shooting on the land or prefer to see a pond instead of a boggy swamp. In some cases if the habitat restoraton is extensive ie: a large wetland developed, providing a Queens Covenant can be placed on it F/G will help with funding" the duckstamp fund" trees, planting, planning etc.

As a farmer and a shooter I am trying to consider my options, which appear to be as follows:
1. I ask F/G to help me plant some cover but would have to allow public access, which wouldn't enhance my own shooting as I would be competing with others for it.
2. I pay for the work myself and have sole rights to the shooting. This option may also help shooters on neighbouring farms by having increased bird populations.
3. I rent the farm to a driven shoot. This will also help neighbouring shooters.
4. I don't do any planting and put the money towards a few days driven shooting each year elsewhere.

What are F/G doing to help farmers decide between the above options apart from not allowing driven shoots in my area?

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #179 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 11:24am
Print Post  
your best bet would be to ring the local F/G office who will be able sort things out. You would not have to allow public access as is your private property. A Queens Covenant means it will be there forever and not allowed to be drained etc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards