This forum will be closed for posting on Friday 8th Oct 2021 but can still be read for research and accessed by members to retrieve information. The new forum is at http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum
Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shot gun reloading (Read 8860 times)
ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Re: Shot gun reloading
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Spoke to the farmer where I do most of my shooting today and asked if he had ever re-loaded his own as I was thinking about it.

Found out he has all the gear, including probably more than 15kg of lead shot. So will be heading into the shed tomorrow to look at the gear and see what condition it is in. Will just need to get him to teach me how to use it. But since its all going to be free, might as well give it a go.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 1:14am
Print Post  
ex-rabbithunter wrote on Aug 19th, 2008 at 7:56pm:
Spoke to the farmer where I do most of my shooting today and asked if he had ever re-loaded his own as I was thinking about it.

Found out he has all the gear, including probably more than 15kg of lead shot. So will be heading into the shed tomorrow to look at the gear and see what condition it is in. Will just need to get him to teach me how to use it. But since its all going to be free, might as well give it a go.

Definately... you got nothing to loose!  Wink

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Ok, got the gear now time for the questions.

I have a lee-all reloader. The powder that the farmer has says its Vectan A.S Powder (not in manufacturers container). Also says 20.5g??

Having looked through the bushings chart it does not have this type of powder on it, so unsure what bushing to use. I'm after either 32 or 36gr.

Does anyone know what bushing I would use, or would I be best to get some new powder that the chart if familiar with?

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

DukShooter
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Find out how old the powder is first and make sure it hasn't gone of with age, google the powder number and go from there

The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation
IP Logged

Barrel

"If it flies it dies"

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I doubt if you will find the Lee Load All bush number for 20.5grs  AS by Googling.
The best and safest way to do it would be to use some Powder Scales and try weighing the load that it throws and work your way up or down the bushes until you get the weight you want.I would start lower to be on the safe side.
Vetcan AS was a good powder and I used to use heaps of it, quite clean burning and quite fast.
You mentioned 36gm loads, AS is only suitable for 28 or 32gm loads.
From memory you can load up to about 22grains for 32gm of shot using a white magnum pattern or winchester or plaswad wad.
I have some loading data for it I could dig out somewhere but if you do what I suggested and start at 20.5grains using powder scales it will give you a good target load and work up to about 21.5 and you will have a reasonable field load suitable for hunting.
Another good thing about it I remember was that it had very low pressures compared to some of the faster powders available. I think it is still in use in some of the European cartridges, Smiley

IP Logged

duck-kila
Forum Senior

to  hunt and fish

Reply #20 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:46am
Print Post  
i have information for A S vetan  powder in shed and may have reloading chart for your loader will look in morning

oh and a way we go
IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 10:27am
Print Post  
DukShooter wrote on Aug 15th, 2008 at 6:29pm:
reloading components for steel shot are slowly appearing in NZ, with leadshot retailing at $80.00 for 10kgs steel is now a lot cheeper option for reloading. There is someone i believe in napier doing the importing, will see what i can find out for you. I just gave away a heap of powder and shot but do still have a Mec junior Loader if anyone is keen
The last time I was in guncity,I noticed their 10 kg pottles of winchester shot were $179.The last one I brought 6 months ago I paid $45 for (from a different shop).

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Quote:
I noticed their 10 kg pottles of winchester shot were $179

For 1 1/8oz loads thats $14.30 a packet just for the shot.....Cry

I'm only one Lotto win away from retirement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2022. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards