Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ammo thats been hot - safe when cooled down? (Read 1290 times)
Penguinbait

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

ammo thats been hot - safe when cooled down?
Mar 23rd, 2021 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Hello forum - hoping someone has an educated answer on this.  I've got some centrefire ammo stored in a place where it probably gets up to 50 or 60C on hot days.  Is there a risk that temperature would change the pressure characteristics to a dangerous level?  Or is it designed to cope with say up to XX degrees C?  If not unsafe, would there be any accuracy impact?
Thanks

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Re: ammo thats been hot - safe when cooled down?
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
No. Not a good temp for the powder to be raised to. Will exacerbate its natural decomposition rate significantly, and MAY increase pressures.

Remember that most all modern rifle powders are based on absorbing nitroglycerine and/or nitrocellulose into a reasonably inert medium. Heating them up too high can hasten their reverting back to their initial parts Shocked

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks XR.  I'm guessing there is no way of telling whether there is an issue?.  But - will move it to a cooler place asap.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 7:33am
Print Post  
It depends on the powder, some powders are temperature sensitive, and others are not. AR2209 is not for example.
Although people don't seem to worry at all about the powder that is already loaded in cartridges being kept in hot places, you should move your stored powder if it is going to be cooked at that temperature. Unless it displays different characteristics when you shoot it, or has started to smell strongly it will be alright.

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.  Missed a good fallow buck last week, and I need an excuse.  I am a little concerned that when I check zero it will be fine tho....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards