Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Long lines and shooting.. (Read 1973 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Long lines and shooting..
Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I have a dog who bolts after game. Bad training and in need of some remedial therapy. I was going to try a long line (although I do have a training collar) but I do have a few questions.
Long lines and tight Bush. How do you manage?
Long lines and snap shooting? How do you manage?
Is a long line unneccessary if you have a training collar?

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Long lines and shooting..
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 10:55am
Print Post  
you have asked how do I mange...so will answer THAT way.

longline was awesome early on.....tight bush isnt so much of issue as dog snakes along infront of you...when dog gets out a wee bit,step INNOCENTLY on long line.....act like "it wasnt me" dog will quickly come to learn distance you want them to work at... when Meg was younger and got really excited I would pick up long line to keep her closer still....as she got idea it trailed on ground behind her.
snap shooting.....hopefully you have already stood on line,or can jump on it ASAP after shot as dog STARTS to bolt..
for me who doesnt own,or has any intention of owning or ever using a collar.....the long line works......some times a collar might be nice,but with a dog as timid as Meg I believe she would turn inside out and cower at first zap..possibly ruining any training previously done.
I have to whistle stop her instead of pushing button....swings n roundabouts.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 10:57am
Print Post  
one thing for sure...once dog is out past long line being able to be stepped on...the collar would be more effective....but the line makes teaching that distance easy.
hope that helps...

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Beware the training collar IMO. I tried one for a similar thing and after the third zap the dog would not enter the ''environment''/area and on scenting the prey turned into a quivering mass that would only crouch between my legs.

That collar gathers dust in the shed.

I went to a long line and things went right. I trained the dog to stop and wait on scent for me to walk to her side,, and as luck would have it the dog started pointing which was promptly rewarded as the right thing to do. I then after marking and praising the point went to taking a few steps back and calling her back to me which was also rewarded. Now shes pretty solid on pointing and being called back if needed.

I learned that if you want to use a collar you first need to learn how it can be used properly.
I didnt and almost cocked the dog up bigtime.
Im now thinking the buzz function could be very usefull for marking the behavior you want at distance,  but the shock function in the wrong hands can be a disaster.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Im happy to read that HC..... we had a huntaway when I was a young fella who had been collared....he was shocked too much and it just about rooted him completely...we got him back with lots of good training but even ten years old if he hit electric fence he would go beserk and run for home and his kennel...Dad tied canteen to his collar to bring it to me one hot afternoon,Rouge felt the weight on collar and took off through the scrub,canteen never to be seen again.
always said if you really want to use electric collar for dog training,put it on your leg...when you frustrated with dog crank the power up and hit button...pretty sure you will stop being frustrated and find better solution to issues...

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
What Im reading is that the dog still needs your full attention in the bush.

Id leave the gun behind and free up my hands for the longline

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:20pm:
Im happy to read that HC..... we had a huntaway when I was a young fella who had been collared....he was shocked too much and it just about rooted him completely...we got him back with lots of good training but even ten years old if he hit electric fence he would go beserk and run for home and his kennel...Dad tied canteen to his collar to bring it to me one hot afternoon,Rouge felt the weight on collar and took off through the scrub,canteen never to be seen again.
always said if you really want to use electric collar for dog training,put it on your leg...when you frustrated with dog crank the power up and hit button...pretty sure you will stop being frustrated and find better solution to issues...

Brilliant comment.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards