Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Angle shooting (Read 3429 times)
Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Angle shooting
Mar 5th, 2021 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Went out for a walk last night after the rain had gone, saw heaps of animals and finally took a shot at a hind at 40 yards uphill and cooked it completely- arrow was well under but at least I got one away. I then got to 38 yards of a spiker who sat there and watched me - mexican stand off - I was able to move closer to about 30 yards but it was a steep downhill shot and having missed badly I decieded against taking the shot. Should have had the rifle🤣
But my question is how do you compensate for uphill and downhill shots.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Kevin Watson

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Angle shooting
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Up and downhill shots you take yardage off from the line of sight reading. How much depends on the angle. You need to get to around 20 degrees before it make much difference, maybe 5% off. The further away you are the more the amount required to be taken off is. Main thing is, is to practice up and downhill shots so you are used to them. Sometimes you can look through the peep differently which will make a bigger difference than anything else.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2021 at 9:46am
Print Post  
so is it similar to rifle work/calculation where you want the distance to point level to your self...eg you aim for distance from you to point directly above or below animal level with you?????
Im not flash on angle maths but its a triangle and sides length can be calculated if you know angles in volved....because one is going to be a right angle it SHOULD BE EASIER.... think of your school 30/60/90  angle thingy.....if you at pointy end and deer at top of slope...its the longest side of triangle away from you...you aim as if its on the other corner DISTANCE wise....I THINK LOL.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Micky you’re talking trigonometry- I want trigger-nometry with a bow🤣
I think I get the idea.
Looked online - maybe I should get one of those fancy rangefinders...nah. Gonna do what KW suggested and practise

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Elite32
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Or get a dedicated bow true range finder. I failed a bit then got one and things improved. Mate has a none true and has to subtract for up and down. I have also found concertrating on peep alignment is important when standing in awkward positions.

IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 8:25am
Print Post  
I've found that if you get real good at instinctive shooting, uphill and downhill no longer matters, I just feel it in my bones where I need to aim. takes a lot of practice, but in my opinion its more fun that using sights. so again practice is the key. all the best! Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

Falcon01
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2021 at 11:10am
Print Post  
How it was explained to me was to imagine holding a really whippy fly rod horizontally in front of you, it takes on quite a bend. As you move it up or down to the vertical it straightens out. That is the analogy for your arrows trajectory. Works for me

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards