Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic make地 a Maire bow (Read 6551 times)
Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

make地 a Maire bow
Feb 28th, 2021 at 8:51am
Print Post  
g'day everyone Smiley. I've been into bow building for some time using mostly native woods, last week I got my hands on four beautiful Maire staves and the last thing I want is to ruin one because of some rookie little thing I didn't know, so has anyone has done it before? any handy hints or thoughts from you guys? Huh
modulus of rupture and elasticity seem good
can the rings be chased?
it seems springy but what is it like when dry?
what designs go well with the wood?
a million questions to ask so any tips would be greatly appreciated Wink
I'll post some pictures once I start.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2021 at 7:13am by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Shamusrobert

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: make地 a Maire bow, need some advice!
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Hello there, most NZ hardwoods are diffuse porous  so no need to chase a ring, just carefully remove the bark and your good to go.
Maire is pretty rare in my neck of the woods but i have made one small self bow from it, the wood seemed pretty good, quite elastic with interlocking grain.
I have also made a couple of laminate bows using a Maire board for the belly wood.
The bows turned out good Maire seems pretty good in compression and made a fast bow.
One of those bows recently broke after several years use but i think that was that backing giving out.[ red beech]   I plan on making another one soon using some hard maple for a backing.
Hope this helps and good luck. Smiley

IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: make地 a Maire bow
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 8:30am
Print Post  
thank you Shamusrobert! I've seen a few of your bows on here and they look great! just that little bit of info will help a lot and has answered a few of my questions, I'll post some pictures of the build next week. yeah, I'm lucky to live in an area with heaps of Maire, Kanuka and Manuka. all the best! Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:53am by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Maire bow UPDATE
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I just had my first shots with my first Maire bow, it's got about a 30kg draw weight at 700mm, it is a very fast bow Grin. just eye-balling it, the bow has a much higher velocity than my 40kg Kanuka bow of the same size. I ended up chasing a growth ring when a surface crack formed in the back of the bow after two of my mates and I tried to string it (we still didn't get the string on Angry), I took four rings off and managed to get the string on. despite Maire being a porous wood, when the wood is dry the rings are surprisingly easy to chase, much easier than Kanuka.
so far my overall review is that the wood is fun to work with, easy to sand smooth and has a hell of a lot of umpff Cheesy, I dunno why more people haven't thought of using Maire for bows Huh
here's some photos

doesn't look like much now but I'll fix that later!

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2021 at 6:21pm by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
my experience with maire is many hours splitting it to keep the fire going.....unusual wood...when it splits the shards are like fibreglass and will go septic if you silly enough to get splinter.... you HAVE to strike it directly with or against the grain or axe will BOUNCE no matter how hard it is swung.... the tree looks VERY similar to hinau.... but the woods are polar opposits...hinua WONT  burn,no matter how hard you try...cant remember which way around it is but one trees bark will bruise blue if hit with back of axe,the other doesnt.
been sawing and splitting some old ash today...Ive never seen grain like it,twisted in all directions,Im contemplating sawing a couple of flitches and giving to Laurie Bradley.....seeing grain today I pictured a red setter pointing pheasants....
look forward to seeing photos of your bow.

IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 7:21am
Print Post  
yep it's hard to split alright Micky Duck, the trick is to get it when it's wet, then it just splits like pine. the big giveaway with Hinau is the leaves, they sit in even rows facing upwards and are a sickly shade of green, Maire leaves are dark olive green on top, fern green below and face in any direction they please. I know Maire bark bruises, dunno about Hinau, I've never bothered with it because of its lazy compression Undecided.
yeah, it's amazing how different Maire wood can be, sometimes its burly and twisted, and sometimes it's perfectly straight, the beautiful porous grain always catches the eye though, no matter how straight it is.
sorry to say it doesn't even look mildly good now, as I've done no finishing whatsoever, another good thing about Maire though, easiest wood to sand.
thanks for replying! have a look at the links on the previous post and I'll add some finished pictures later Grin.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:06pm by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
links wont allow looking without logging in.... never tried splitting maire green....always had old dead logs for firewood.

IP Logged

Shamusrobert

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for the up date, I cant see the link either.
The only one i tried to work from a stave had a massive spiral twist when i split it in half, i roughed  out one half and clamped it to a flat board wet, i managed to get a little bendy handle bow out of it. The other half i made into a tramping stick.
Interesting wood alright, nice to work.  Smiley

IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
It seems to bend well with a heat gun from what I've seen Shamusrobert, like trying to split fibreglass when it's sundry eh Micky Duck!
Thanks for telling me about the fault with the pictures, I've found a better way of posting them, hopefully you can see them now! Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2021 at 7:54am by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Shamusrobert

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Looks good, you did well chasing a ring and yes the heat bending is always a bonus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards