Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Swarovski EL Range binoculars (Read 2186 times)
Hookah

One sniff away from death.

New Swarovski EL Range binoculars
Feb 27th, 2021 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Was interested in these and found this review.

Justin Z. 1 month ago
goHUNT INSIDER
A strong word of caution to anyone considering purchasing the range finder combo from Swarovski - they have been outright deceitful in their prior marketing materials on the EL ranges. In the first generation EL Range’s they downgraded the glass to maintain a more palatable price point without making the customer aware of this lower quality. Time will tell on the new model, but I will never make that mistake again.

I purchased the EL Range 10x42 in September 2018 and after having used them on multiple hunts for 2 seasons, the lack of clarity in the glass is very distinguishable. It is so apparent that I can’t notice a difference between my EL Range’s and other mid-tier binoculars I own. I initially chocked up the lack of performance to “perhaps it’s just my eyes”, or “I need to spend some more time with them to be sure”, etc. but now I am certain they are sub-par glass. On one of the Kifarucast podcasts the host and guest discussed how they knew the EL Range used lower quality glass when compared to the traditional EL series. That was the first instance I had heard of where a prominent figure in the industry confirmed what I suspected from the start – Swarovski downgraded the glass in the EL Range’s compared to the traditional EL’s. When looking at the technical specs on their website the EL Range's seems to be on par with the EL’s and the SLC’s. Additionally, a close hunting buddy of mine has the SLC’s and when I looked through those to compare, it certainly seemed the SLC's were higher quality optics.

This lack of quality in the glass is not made apparent to customers when making their purchasing decisions. Even today, the language and specs on the website do not distinguish a difference in optical quality between the EL Ranges and the EL’s. A customer is led to believe they are the same quality (or nearly the same quality), when they are not. If I were made aware of the difference in the quality of glass, I would have purchased the traditional EL’s as I place a premium on optical clarity, not the rangefinder function. I am extremely disappointed in Swarovski and will explore products with their competitors, Leica and Zeiss.

At a bare minimum the company should make it very clear in the marketing materials that the EL Range’s do not have the same optical quality as the EL’s. We all know their customers don’t come to them for the latest range finding technology, they come to Swarovski for the highest quality optics. The lack of disclosure on their part is lazy at best, and outright deceitful at worst. I believe Swarovski purposefully misled customers by not making this difference in glass apparent. Furthermore, when I wrote the Company about my complaint they said I was simply mistaken and there was nothing they could do for me. If there is ever a viable alternative available, I will not purchase another Swarovski product.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: New Swarovski EL Range binoculars
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
i first looked at a pair of el range swaros up in the mountains and they were well out of this world compared to my bushys

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Hookah

One sniff away from death.

Re: New Swarovski EL Range binoculars
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Really need to compare with Leica, Carl Zeiss and the older Swarovski binos to see if there much difference in glass quality, I am sure there will be comparisons coming up on YouTube in the near future.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards