Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waitangi Day (Read 1018 times)
Ern
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Waitangi Day
Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Like the majority my fishing opportunities tend to be weekend/ long weekend when everyone else has the same idea. With this in mind, I decided to bypass all the regular well known locations and headed for a fish on what I thought would be a remote section of our local braided river.
It started off well not seeing any other cars at the road end. It is about 45 walk to get to riverbed and another 30 min upstream to where good fish holding water is. I figured I got all day and as it was only 7.30am I would explore a bit of the braided sections in the hope of getting a small fish or two. After an hour of unproductive fishing I decided enough time wasting and move on the higher probability water.
The next stretch of water produced 2 rainbows and on brown average about4-5 lb. the next pool above producing another 3. As I just hocked into the 6 fish of the day I could see two anglers in the pool above me moving down stream. They were spinning and continued to move down the pool even though they could see me. At first I thought they were going to come down and have a chat so we could discuss how to fish together. My fish decided to bolt downstream. The two spin anglers continued to systematically flog the pool and then moved down and started at the top on the pool where I was making my way up and catching fish Angry
At this point I was getting furious, but could not do much as my fish was keeping me busy.
Anyway by the time I landed my fish too a photo, and got organized. The two spin fishermen were walking back upstream. It was about midday. My gut feeling was to leave as they probably have spooked and disturbed all the water above that I wanted to fish. I decided to stick with it and went back to the top of my pool and got another hook-up and landed another nice trout.
And this continued for the rest of the afternoon. I ended up landing 11, dropped 4 and spooked 2. What amazed me was I was literally fishing in their footsteps and the fishing was great. I did come across a dark slab of a fish In a slow shallow bit of water that looked like it was recovering and not in good health, not feeding and left it alone, was not even spooked as I waded past it.
Moral of the story, stick with it and give it a go, you never know.
Also if you see an angler on stream, take 5 mins to have a chat and show a little respect

AIM  
IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Waitangi Day
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 5:36am
Print Post  
bastards !have a chat, ya never know who ya have run into. I caught 1 straight after snapping it off and got my fly back, fish havnt seen as much pressure this season

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards