Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waikato Hunting & Fishing – when will I learn! (Read 2619 times)
Hunter72
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Waikato Hunting & Fishing – when will I learn!
Dec 14th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I gave up on Waikato Hunting & Fishing years back because often what was in their catalogue (or website)  wasn’t in stock, and then when you ordered something it never arrived on the promised date, also their staff’s product knowledge (and attitude) was hopeless.
I was however taken in by their latest catalogue and thought with the elapse of time things must have surely improved – Big Mistake!
I phoned to see if they had some HMR .17 ammo to be informed it was in stock. The next day I dropped in to be told it had all been sold, or it was “probably a computer error”.
At that stage I should have wised up, however  was after a high capacity reel and so ordered it with a rod and 700 metres of braid- which I stupidly paid for upfront. “Be ready by the end of the week” – and like a mug I took them at their word. End of week and nothing. Waited until next Tuesday and phoned. “will sort out and get back to you”- Yeah Right. No call back, waited till Thursday and phoned again “courier co*k-up and will arrive Friday”. Got a call on Friday “reel in”, although confusion as to whether I wanted a rod with it. I asked if it was spooled, didn’t know “ will sort out”. Got back “will put braid on tomorrow (Saturday) ”. Got back and I discover only 500 metres of braid on it. “That’s all it will take” notwithstanding the specs say 900 yards at the 80lb I required and when I paid for it 700 metres was not a problem - Other outlets I’ve since spoken to confirm 700 metres will easily fit on reel.
Don’t think they were trying to rip me off but rather  they’re just still bloody useless- being charitable I’ll presume the latter and never again make the foolish mistake of darkening their doorway.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Waikato Hunting & Fishing – when will I learn!
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Why did you not take it back and tell them to put on what you paid? Failing that get the owner out and ask him to explain why.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Took a bloke out and he shot his first deer @ 258m having never used a rifle. Had to get him to sit down and use his knees as a rest and at last light. 1 shot . Smoked it. Well he's got the bug. Went into a HnF store to price a 243 which calibre he shot the deer with. The salesman told him the 243 was great gun but he needed a 7M so he could kill deer better and at a greater distance.This dude is no fool and using logic nearly told the salesman he was an idiot. Why do they do it.A potential customer now possibly lost because of brain dead advice.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Dunedin H&F is no better, some of the sales people in there think they know a lot more than what they actually do know.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Ballingers in Christchurch can be the same, ordered a Sauer rifle in January 2018, still waiting for em to tell me it's arrived.
But when I bought a thermal off em, it arrived on time and they rang me to let me know.
I think most shops probably have the same issues but HnF seems worse.  And to add salt to the wound their bulk buying claim is BS, their ammo is the dearest. So I try to support the little guy ( Outdoor Adventures in Ashburton in my case), and when I read the HnF catalogue I wonder if the advertisers who pay to have their products promoted actually check if their stuff is on the shelves ??

IP Logged

erniec
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Went to by a lansky sharpener in H&F Rotorua. Xmas  shopping.
Price instore was $200-219 in flyer was listed at $89.
They do have a disclaimer but this is why I limit my purchasing of them.
Use Reloaders , Gunworks, Outdoorsman etc.
Bivouac and Outdoor Addiction for clothing, packs and sleeping bags.

IP Logged

High country boy
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of a time I went in to ballingers in chch, was looking for a pair of lowa cevedale (full shank boots) and was told I didn’t need boots that stiff and would be better off in Tibet’s. I couldn’t understand how he could tell me what boots I needed without any knowledge of how I hunt

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:22pm
Print Post  

I suspect you bumped into an 'expert' - there's lots of those around telling you what you ought or oughtn't do.

Watched an 'expert' totally rubbish a blokes story some years back on a TV program ..... and he sounded rational and learned - and I thought - "Yeah, that 'expert' knows his shit."
Trouble with that is the 'bloke' then went out of his way and proved beyond any doubt that he had done what he said he had ........... and I got to wondering just which one was the expert ........... the bloke who had done it, or the bloke who read that you couldn't ?

A lot of those store blokes are well meaning - had one tell me a tent was better than a tarp a few years back ..... ha, ha, ha.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
I guess it varies from fanchise to franchise.
There's a dude in the Nelson store who seems to know his stuff.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:41am
Print Post  
if a retailer doesnt pay top dollar,they wont get or keep good knowledgeable staff....
working in retail sports shop is a heck of a lot of fun and you meet all sorts BUT there is huge range of stuff and staff cant be expected to know about all things...wise staff will call over the fella or felless who knows most about that particular field and leave you with them rather than try to bluff way out.
I went into Timaru store 3 days ago...fondled a couple of rifles...went home had think and rang for price...rifle and suppressor WITHOUT the scope....quoted price was $100 less than catalogue whole package deal and that scope on shelf for $300,and wouldnt budge.    so took business elsewhere.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
It actually helps to get to know your local store owners/workers. They know what type of hunting/fishing you do, know what you do and don't like. Know what crap you will buy and don't need. Also makes it easier when you ring with a problem. That is any hunting store.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
true.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards